What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

PhilGould

Bench
If there's a way to not pay Klemmer $900k for the next 3 seasons I would be looking into it. Lodge on money anywhere close to that isn't the answer though.

blaza88z

Coach
It doesn't work well for either club

We are trying to offload him so we can put our money to better use in a spine player, hard to imagine it would even be considered by either club

perverse

Referee
It’s not arguable. Klemmer is a much better player than Lodge no matter how big of a whipping boy he’s become around here.
I hope he doesn't become a whipping boy. I definitely lament the fact that he's not really the player we bought anymore, but his workrate is still top class. Also, much like Pearce - his signing was somewhat of a catalyst for other good flow-on effects at the club. I don't think Dan Saifiti turns into the player he is without Klemmers influence.

I'd love it if we weren't paying him as much as we are, and I'd love it if Klem was taking on more of a leadership role in the team given his stature in the game (or previous stature, I suppose... he's fallen a fair way off his peak for mine). I honestly think Klem has just gotten a bit comfy in Newcastle... but at the end of the day we're a lesser team without him than with him. Especially when you look at something like a swap with Lodge. That would be a disaster.

The thing that puzzles me the most about him is that he still has everything to play for. A premiership, his origin jersey back... I just don't see a man possessed in seeking those things in the way he plays these days. It's a bit of a head scratcher for me.

GidleyTwinz

Juniors
I hope he doesn't become a whipping boy. I definitely lament the fact that he's not really the player we bought anymore, but his workrate is still top class. Also, much like Pearce - his signing was somewhat of a catalyst for other good flow-on effects at the club. I don't think Dan Saifiti turns into the player he is without Klemmers influence.

I'd love it if we weren't paying him as much as we are, and I'd love it if Klem was taking on more of a leadership role in the team given his stature in the game (or previous stature, I suppose... he's fallen a fair way off his peak for mine). I honestly think Klem has just gotten a bit comfy in Newcastle... but at the end of the day we're a lesser team without him than with him. Especially when you look at something like a swap with Lodge. That would be a disaster.

The thing that puzzles me the most about him is that he still has everything to play for. A premiership, his origin jersey back... I just don't see a man possessed in seeking those things in the way he plays these days. It's a bit of a head scratcher for me.

This first paragraph is spot on re flow-on effects at the club.

The same is true with signing Pearce - we had to offer very big money to guys who were probably past their peaks to get them to the club. At the time, we were historically terrible. From a 2021 perspective, they're two bad contracts, but they've both played big roles in getting us from historically terrible to a position where we can complain about the contracts that stop us being a clear top 8 team. It isn't that many years ago that I wouldn't have just taken not winning another consecutive spoon.

Yosh

Coach
We will be rid of Pearce's contract next year and Klemmer will follow soon after. I feel like we have a semi boom generation coming through with the likes of Ponga, Best, Clifford, Young, Hodgson, both Saifitis, Brailey, Watson and the like. If we can get some more talent around them in two to three years time, I think we can definitely push for a top 4 spot in two to three years time.

Knight Tales

Juniors
We will be rid of Pearce's contract next year and Klemmer will follow soon after. I feel like we have a semi boom generation coming through with the likes of Ponga, Best, Clifford, Young, Hodgson, both Saifitis, Brailey, Watson and the like. If we can get some more talent around them in two to three years time, I think we can definitely push for a top 4 spot in two to three years time.
Agree we have some real talent coming through. Has not really been an issue for a few years actually. We knew these kids were eventually going to get their shot.
As we have mostly agreed upon here, it is the between the ears part we are so lacklustre in as a team. Until we get that right we could sign Munster, Cleary or anyone of that calibre and still have the same results on field. No longer is our roster my concern. We can tweak that at any time really. Something needs to click and a team wide responsibility has to take shape for all results.
Not sure if Klem stays or goes on next deal. But I do agree he has lost his enforcer rep. With the Safs rise it is hard to say we can justify paying him his salary going forward. As for Pearce I am not so certain where he goes after next year. He will need a barn burner of a year next season to get another deal but a Pearce with nothing to lose could be something to behold. Or else it fails. Either way we know the club hold the cards

Yosh

Coach
Agree we have some real talent coming through. Has not really been an issue for a few years actually. We knew these kids were eventually going to get their shot.
As we have mostly agreed upon here, it is the between the ears part we are so lacklustre in as a team. Until we get that right we could sign Munster, Cleary or anyone of that calibre and still have the same results on field. No longer is our roster my concern. We can tweak that at any time really. Something needs to click and a team wide responsibility has to take shape for all results.
Not sure if Klem stays or goes on next deal. But I do agree he has lost his enforcer rep. With the Safs rise it is hard to say we can justify paying him his salary going forward. As for Pearce I am not so certain where he goes after next year. He will need a barn burner of a year next season to get another deal but a Pearce with nothing to lose could be something to behold. Or else it fails. Either way we know the club hold the cards

When Clifford comes, he should fo most of the kicking. Also, should be given the lead half role. If Pearce is okay with it, I think he will be a good halves partner for Clifford.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I think moving forward our recruitment strategy needs to be about getting guys at the club who really want to win, like really really want to win. Guys who will tackle anything that moves, chase the length of the field even when they can’t stop a try, run hard every time they have the ball and run in support of their team mates when they have the ball. Talent should be secondary to that at this stage. We’ve got some talented guys already but now we need winners and guys who will play as a team.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
One guy who I think embodies those traits is Brandon Smith. The guy is a weapon, hits like a mach truck in attack and defence. Would love to get him here as a lock forward but I don’t think it’ll happen given he supposedly wants to play hooker which he probably won’t get to do at Melbourne given they’ve got Harry Grant.