What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Just on the recruitment front.

I’d be happy for us to keep Lee on a cut price deal for 1 year provided his foot seems to be healing well after surgery. He’s a quality winger when fit so I’d be ok if we took that risk for 1 year on cheap coin.

While we’re talking outside backs, what about Will Hopoate? He’s probably not getting re-signed by the dogs and has always been really solid. Gets through his work and doesn’t make errors. Also wouldn’t be expecting big money at this point in his career.

Another guy who is off contract who we could look at for second row or lock is Curtis Sironen. He’s played pretty well at Manly over the last few seasons and has some ball playing ability, also wouldn’t expect bit money. Could be a good point of difference for us.

Jono078

Referee
Will is very Vanilla but he'd be a reliable rock type option at the back and should strengthen our defense a bit.

Sironen also just solid but would come here and be our second best second rower, so I wouldn't be against that either.

Other names I'll throw up there.. Is Tyrone Peachey past it? Is there room for him and Watson in the team?

Egan Butcher from the Roosters is off-contract, he's gotten better and better with each game this year.

Loose Cannon

Bench
Just on the recruitment front.

I’d be happy for us to keep Lee on a cut price deal for 1 year provided his foot seems to be healing well after surgery. He’s a quality winger when fit so I’d be ok if we took that risk for 1 year on cheap coin.

While we’re talking outside backs, what about Will Hopoate? He’s probably not getting re-signed by the dogs and has always been really solid. Gets through his work and doesn’t make errors. Also wouldn’t be expecting big money at this point in his career.

Another guy who is off contract who we could look at for second row or lock is Curtis Sironen. He’s played pretty well at Manly over the last few seasons and has some ball playing ability, also wouldn’t expect bit money. Could be a good point of difference for us.
As an original Dogs supporter (pre Knights, and for many years following, now #2), Hopoate is awful. Personally, I would be devastated if he was considered at all. Can't agree on any of those assessments. Especially the errors statement, he makes plenty.

Sironen I can see something, he would slot right into bench rotation, although I'd be happy to stick with Jones getting more game time in the back row. As a straight replacement for Fitz, maybe, but it's doubtful that eventuates.

aqua_duck

Coach
Will is very Vanilla but he'd be a reliable rock type option at the back and should strengthen our defense a bit.

Sironen also just solid but would come here and be our second best second rower, so I wouldn't be against that either.

Other names I'll throw up there.. Is Tyrone Peachey past it? Is there room for him and Watson in the team?

Egan Butcher from the Roosters is off-contract, he's gotten better and better with each game this year.
Butcher would be great but I doubt he'd leave, he grew up around the eastern suburbs, his brother is obviously a regular at the roosters and with them losing Liu and possibly Taekaeiaho I'd expect Butcher will be retained, the guy I'd chase is Fletcher Baker who's a little down the pecking order there and who's actually from Muswellbrook so would be a more realistic acquisition, as for Hopoate he's terrible. Hopoate is a little in the Jarrod Croker boat, decent fundamentals and skillset but just isn't good enough athletically under Vlandys ball. Hopoate's issue is he's got the agility and lateral quickness or a front rower and hence is a complete defensive liability.

perverse

Referee
Hopoate is a little in the Jarrod Croker boat, decent fundamentals and skillset but just isn't good enough athletically under Vlandys ball. Hopoate's issue is he's got the agility and lateral quickness or a front rower and hence is a complete defensive liability.
lol, to be fair Croker wasn't athletic enough pre-Vlandysball either.

slotmachine

First Grade
I don't blame people for not watching Dogs games but it's a coin toss between hoppa jnr and Mann in the centres for me, they are both shit. Mann can play more positions (badly) though.

mozza91

Coach
Sironen would add plenty. Certainly an upgrade on Fitzgibbon. Plus he gets hurt a lot so he’s definitely fit in here.

Not interested in Hoppa he’s well past his best.

aqua_duck

Coach
I still think we need to find a winger out of To'a, Young or a new recruit. I dunno who we bring in at this point to be honest, I don't think our biggest problems are necessarily personnel. Our off field stuff, it just needs sorting. Our depth needs to be better - but that has to come from our young guys improving as much as anything too. We can't just recruit everything we need, squad numbers 1 through 30 and beyond. We need to develop it from within as well, otherwise we'll never have it.
I think Tuala has really taken his opportunity on that left wing and if he can put together another good performance next week I think he might just earn himself a new contract, To'a has never been a winger in juniors he's an out and out fullback who can play in the centres but has never been given an opportunity in either of those positions because we'd rather have Hoy and Mann there.
There's talk Edrick might stay on a reduced 1 year deal which would be good if he can actually get on the field. With so much interruption to lower grades the past 2 years it's just really hard to develop players at all in recent years.

aqua_duck

Coach
lol, to be fair Croker wasn't athletic enough pre-Vlandysball either.
No but athletic limitations are really exposed under Vlandys ball. Hoppa has been slow as a turtle for a while now but under Vlandys ball he just can't mark up on decent centres in space

perverse

Referee
I think Tuala has really taken his opportunity on that left wing and if he can put together another good performance next week I think he might just earn himself a new contract, To'a has never been a winger in juniors he's an out and out fullback who can play in the centres but has never been given an opportunity in either of those positions because we'd rather have Hoy and Mann there.
There's talk Edrick might stay on a reduced 1 year deal which would be good if he can actually get on the field. With so much interruption to lower grades the past 2 years it's just really hard to develop players at all in recent years.
Yeah, Tuala has impressed - but still leaves us wanting for a strong early set ball carrier. Tuala has been doing really well at that lately given his size mind you... but I still think it'd be nice to have an upgrade in that regard.

I'm not against throwing Lee a lifeline, it would be a cheap roll of the dice, but it's not something I'm banking on at this point either. Bit of a hail mary.

I just think it's critical we do what we can to avoid another situation like this year in the backs. It's been abysmal.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’ve obviously not watched enough bulldogs games, or maybe I’m thinking of Hoppa in his prime. Let’s forget I said that haha.

I’d be ok with Tuala keeping his left wing spot for the rest of this year at this stage. I still think we either go for Oates or maybe look at a couple more Hymel Hunt style signings to fill those spots.

Jono078

Referee
Yep I must be thinking of Hopoate in his prime too.

Tuala is the perfect back-up back for mine. Come in and do a job. Not sure he's quite there as a regular.

Corey Oates is or should be the perfect target for us.. He'd be close to our best or second best winger and you could probably say the same for him in the second row..

aqua_duck

Coach
I’ve obviously not watched enough bulldogs games, or maybe I’m thinking of Hoppa in his prime. Let’s forget I said that haha.

I’d be ok with Tuala keeping his left wing spot for the rest of this year at this stage. I still think we either go for Oates or maybe look at a couple more Hymel Hunt style signings to fill those spots.
I think you can tell Tuala is much better suited to the left hand side, he definitely has the frame to put on abit more size and his quicker than you expect.
Oates would've been a good option but given he's back in favour now I doubt the donkeys will let him go.
In terms of who's on the market there's probably maybe 3 guys who would fit what we're looking for without breaking the bank in Jorge Taufua, Harley Smith Shields and treymain Spry.
Spry is an interesting one, he a terrific young prospect and ideal size (187cm, 98kg) for an outside back, burst on the scene last year and was killing in Q Cup this year but recently asked for and was granted a release from his titans contract for personal reasons though has still continued to play Q Cup. Spry was at the roosters the same time AOB was there so there's an existing relationship.

Yosh

Coach
Very happy with Tuala. Seems more a finisher than creator. He makes good reads in defense and doesn't make mistakes with the ball as well. His try yesterday was fantastic because the ball from Best was behind him but he still caught it on the go and finished superbly as well.

While small, he did manage to dodge a the first kick chaser on a number of occasions last night. JAC isn't the biggest but is a threat because he is elusive. Happy to see him develop on the left with Best.

Old dog

Juniors
Happy to give Lee another go but save him a spot, don’t sign until sure he is ok and if not then look elsewhere. Dont see us retaining Tuala if we resign Lee but he has played well in Lee’s spot on left

Burwood

Bench
Don’t forget about Shibs- I think he’ll be moved on before next season kicks off. From memory, he didn’t even travel with the team up to QLD to be part of the bubble, so must be a long way down the pecking order.

aqua_duck

Coach
Very happy with Tuala. Seems more a finisher than creator. He makes good reads in defense and doesn't make mistakes with the ball as well. His try yesterday was fantastic because the ball from Best was behind him but he still caught it on the go and finished superbly as well.

While small, he did manage to dodge a the first kick chaser on a number of occasions last night. JAC isn't the biggest but is a threat because he is elusive. Happy to see him develop on the left with Best.
Tuala is 188cm and 96kg so wouldn't say he's small, I think if we tailor his pre season training to be more based around size and power even if we sacrifice a little bit of agility and fitness there's no reason why he can't be close to the 100kg mark next season.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Have we heard anything about Watson signing, is it happening?
Apparently yes but Tigers and Dragons both keen on his signature. If he hasn’t
already decided the I have no issue with the club’s stance. If he leaves we should try to get Oates and if Lee gets fit we can make Corey into a edge backrower. The position he has always allegedly sought.