What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Tales

Juniors
Just saw that Kev Naiqama is back in the NRL next year- as an ex knight, pity we didn’t sign him. Could have been a valuable member of the squad with plenty of experience.
Our backline with a fit and in form Young and Lee is going to be a handful if they are willing to do the work coming out of their own half. We have no excuses for not making metres this season. Gagai is a strong dummy half runner. I like Hymel but I think for the sheer threat, Lee and Young, as our wingers is greater as there are aerial
Options too.

Hes at the Roosters, a club that is a huge chance of winning a comp and has just lost quite a few outside backs

Cant blame the bloke for going there

Burwood

Bench
I’d piss off Musgrove and To’a to sign him. He’s won 3 titles in the super league and was man of the match in the last grand final. At 32, he’d be the perfect one-year signing to add quality depth and experience. If he’s good enough for the roosters, I can’t see him being worse than all our current options.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’d piss off Musgrove and To’a to sign him. He’s won 3 titles in the super league and was man of the match in the last grand final. At 32, he’d be the perfect one-year signing to add quality depth and experience. If he’s good enough for the roosters, I can’t see him being worse than all our current options.
Just on Musgrove and Toa, where do they sit next year? I feel like Musgrove was lucky to get a chance this year through injuries to other players and was shown to be not up to it, he may improve with time but there’s a lot of work to do. Toa on the other hand looked good early on when he debuted but really hasn’t moved much since then. Seems like a good finisher but that’s basically a pre-requisite for an NRL winger anyway, but he really hasn’t blown me away with anything else he’s produced. I’d say he’s probably behind Hunt, Tuala, Young and Lee in the pecking order for a wing spot at this stage and I can’t help but feel that 2022 is a make or break year for him, he either shows that he’s up to it or we let him go imo.

Spot On

Coach
A club adept at developing talent, such as MLB, would more often than not be able to develop both Toa and Musgrove into decent players.

Newcastle now have most, if not all, of the necessary coaching structures and staff in place to finally be able to identify and develop players in our system into very good NRL players.

We will see if the staff, and systems, are any good in the development of our talent in coming years. We’ve been piss poor at that for eons.

Recruitment may still be an issue to this point in time but hopefully our development of in house talent reduces the need to go to market over the mentioned period.

Musgrove and Toa are both still pretty young and have potential. Whether that potential can lead to any sort of NRL future is the question i guess

Toa had some great moments and some average ones. He couldnt find consistency.

Musgrove looked very good in the centres during the trials but only played wing in the NRL. He looked out of his depth

The biggest issue i found with both is they got man handled on kick returns a lot. We have a whole new strength and con team at the club now so maybe that can be rectified with a more focused program and they can both start reaching that potential.

Id be willing to give them both time in NSWCup, if it can actually get off the ground this year, and see where they end up. Toa probably has his nose in front right now

Old dog

Juniors
Musgrove looked a bit below a 1st grader past season and playing wing instead of centre didn’t help. Not sure he has what is needed but hope they use him at centre in reserves and see what he’s got and if he hasn’t got it then it’s bye bye.

slotmachine

First Grade
Musgrove will be back in the local comp next year when they move him on to fit Lee into the squad.

Whoever gave him a 2 year deal when he was plucked out of the local comp and the knights were bidding against themselves must be the same person who gave KP a truckload of cash to extend by 1 year.

Knight Tales

Juniors
if you were speculating on where our roster is headed what are your thoughts individually?

I can see Gould trying to bring Klemmer back to Belmore. Every chance we could end up with Luke Thompson or another player as a swap.

KP is a 50/50 but I would like to believe we have our contingency plan already sorted.

I think Brooks will end up here either this year or next. He surely can see the Tigers are a dead end for him.

Yosh

Coach
I think To'a should stay because he has youth and talent on his side. There's only room for one of Musgrove and To'a so I'd let Musgrove leave.

PhilGould

Bench
Toohey's News

- 2 roster spots left to fill and around $1m to spend, likely to be spent on a half and back-rower
- Club is still monitoring the Brooks/Tigers situation and hope he becomes available in the new year
- Still negotiating with Heilum Luki for 2023 and beyond, but Toohey also says they will look to bring in another back-rower if they can't get him for this upcoming season. Reading between the lines it sounds likely we'll get him.
- Once again states a current player will likely be moved on, making way for Edrick Lee
- Knights have signed fullback Davy Armstrong for the Jersey Flegg squad on a 3-year deal. Played in the Toowoomba comp this season where he scored 38 tries, including 3 (and a man-of-the-match award) in the grand final

Even if we move someone on I'd hold off on one of the signings.
We've seen it before where we need someone mid season or when someone comes along that we really want.