What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Jono078

Referee
Toohey's News

- Willie Peters replacement next season will be Michael Dobson. Played 285 career games, including 6 for the Knights in 2014, but spent the vast majority of his career in England. He'll assist with the NRL team and also coach the NSW Cup side, with Mark O'Meley taking over one of the junior teams. Joins Rory Kostjasyn, Blake Green & Eric Smith as the assistants, and Joey is apparently still on board for 2023 as a consultant. Maybe Dobson is a great coach, but I get the sense AOB prioritises his own feeling of security in his position rather than getting the best coaches for the job.
It certainly feels that way.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Willie Peters replacement next season will be Michael Dobson. Played 285 career games, including 6 for the Knights in 2014, but spent the vast majority of his career in England. He'll assist with the NRL team and also coach the NSW Cup side, with Mark O'Meley taking over one of the junior teams. Joins Rory Kostjasyn, Blake Green & Eric Smith as the assistants, and Joey is apparently still on board for 2023 as a consultant. Maybe Dobson is a great coach, but I get the sense AOB prioritises his own feeling of security in his position rather than getting the best coaches for the job.
really really disappointing and yes I agree with you 100%.

Assembling coaching staff is no different to assembling a playing roster - you get the best available talent you possibly can to help you WIN. Who the f**k is Dobson ffs

Jono078

Referee
really really disappointing and yes I agree with you 100%.

Assembling coaching staff is no different to assembling a playing roster - you get the best available talent you possibly can to help you WIN. Who the f**k is Dobson ffs
I agree but I think it's harder to judge with coaches?

All I'll say is what are Dobson's credentials? Was he sought after or did we just think he seemed like a decent bloke here lets give him an opportunity.

Like is there any difference to signing him over just promoting Blake Green?

Anyway he's signed now I hope he's able to assist AOB as best possible. I think this also confirms we won't be getting rid of AOB this year.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors

All I'll say is what are Dobson's credentials? Was he sought after or did we just think he seemed like a decent bloke here lets give him an opportunity.

Anyway he's signed now I hope he's able to assist AOB as best possible. I think this also confirms we won't be getting rid of AOB this year.
It was already very unlikely that AOB would get the sack this year unless we got the spoon imo.

Jono078

Referee
It was already very unlikely that AOB would get the sack this year unless we got the spoon imo.
Just because the Titans are worse than us shouldn't mean his job is safe, but yes I'm realising now that he appears to be safe, regardless what happens now.

Sir Galahad

Juniors

Yeh I do wish him well , but I agree with the statement that AOB seems more concerned with job security.

Plenty of first grade ready assistants on the market on the moment that have assembled premiership winning rosters. Surely you'd pick one of them to help you.

For the life of me I cant imagine why on earth from the immense talent pool out there you'd pluck some guy with a paragraph long CV.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Just because the Titans are worse than us shouldn't mean his job is safe, but yes I'm realising now that he appears to be safe, regardless what happens now.
I don't see it that way necessarily, I think he should be under pressure in the sense that he needs to have a long hard look at how he's coaching and WHY the current approach hasn't worked and then he should be given an opportunity in 2023 to fix that with a better squad that he has had this year. It's no secret that the current roster isn't up to it and they've been making some moves to improve it. Also I don't really think that any of the current coaching names that are being thrown around would be the home run that we would want them to be anyway so it's partially determined by who's available to replace AOB should the club make the choice to look elsewhere.

Old dog

Juniors
Our biggest problem for next year is that only about 12 are of contract and some such as Milford, Lucas and Purcell we would like to keep so only about 9 vacancies and with Elliott and Hetherington that’s 7 so they better be quality.
Next season we will have about 16 off contract, some we will likely keep/extend but it gives more scope to improve.
Get quality while getting rid of worst.
Havent allowed for those two ESL players

Johns Magic

Referee
Toohey's News

- Willie Peters replacement next season will be Michael Dobson. Played 285 career games, including 6 for the Knights in 2014, but spent the vast majority of his career in England. He'll assist with the NRL team and also coach the NSW Cup side, with Mark O'Meley taking over one of the junior teams. Joins Rory Kostjasyn, Blake Green & Eric Smith as the assistants, and Joey is apparently still on board for 2023 as a consultant. Maybe Dobson is a great coach, but I get the sense AOB prioritises his own feeling of security in his position rather than getting the best coaches for the job.
- Tex Hoy's move to Hull FC is in jeopardy due to Knights refusing to release him immediately. Was meant to be Josh Reynolds' replacement, but Hull are now looking elsewhere.
- Leo Thompson is on the verge of a contract extension. Currently signed until the end of 2023.
- As posted above Knights have signed Sebastian Su'a, a 19-year old forward from NZ, to a 3-year deal. Will start in Jersey Flegg. He's the son of Murphy Su'a, who was the first ever Samoan-born cricketer to play test cricket for NZ.

Did Toohey mention any of the other candidates for the assistant coaching role?

Jono078

Referee
I'd love for the Knights to outline how they came to pick Dobson.

Who did they interview, who had biggest say in why Dobson would be best fit and what he believes he offers over others?

PhilGould

Bench
No others mentioned.

The article does say that he's been working in junior pathways in QLD and was set to coach a QLD Cup side so he does have a little bit of experience.

I remember him as a player. Smart, just completely unathletic. Got the most out of what he had.

those types often make good coaches. Let’s not write him off yet.
100% mate.

Far too many in here writing the bloke off just because he's not a well known coach.

How many good coaches can you name who were also top players? Hasler, Stuart, Cleary....not many is there. In fact most were average players

Jono078

Referee
I remember him as a player. Smart, just completely unathletic. Got the most out of what he had.

Certainly not writing him off but I'd just like to know the club did it's due diligence.

Johns Magic

Referee

Yeah I remember the same as you. He had a good Super League career. I am more than happy to give him a clean slate

It sounds like he’s done a good job bringing young players through to seniors at Wynnum. That’s what our NSW Cup team will be all about the next few years.

Assistant coaching roles are odd ones to fill I feel. The good assistants are waiting for Head Coach roles. The well-known but gettable assistants are generally failed HC’s like Cartwright, Dymock, Price who aren’t that inspiring.

Good coaches have to start somewhere.

Latest posts