What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Jono078

Referee
I wanted to come up with a list of targets who may be better than Clune and you could argue are real possibilities;

In no particular order:

1. Lachlan Lewis (Free Agent?) - great competitor and was with the Dogs at their shittest time. Arrogant and a bit of a hot head but I did think he was a solid as player.

2. Jock Madden (Tigers) - Will be stuck behind Doueihi and Hastings next year. Not sure how much better than Clune if at all but perhaps worth further investigation.

3. Tyson Gamble (Broncos) he's the clear back-up to Reynolds and Mam so they may want to hold onto him, but I think he's been really solid the last couple of years and continues to show improvement. Similar to Lachlan Lewis in that he's a confident competitor and wont take a backward step.

4. Jayden Sullivan (Dragons) - I know their fans love him and he has potential to be a real highlight reel type player.

5. Kyle Flanagan (Bulldogs) - like the team, he's looked better in recent time. A new coach there may look to go in a new direction.

6. Scott Drinkwater (Cowboys) - He's killing it and that's why the Hammer is unable to get a start for them, but sooner or later they'll want the Hammer at fullback.

7. Drew Hutchinson (Roosters) - played 5/8th most of the time last year and he's a really really solid player.

Not all perfect options but I can see all of them as a starting half for us next year - which you could say is scary and I'd understand.

Any thoughts on the above and if they would be realistic/worth it in your eyes?

macavity

Referee
I wanted to come up with a list of targets who may be better than Clune and you could argue are real possibilities;

In no particular order:

1. Lachlan Lewis (Free Agent?) - great competitor and was with the Dogs at their shittest time. Arrogant and a bit of a hot head but I did think he was a solid as player.

2. Jock Madden (Tigers) - Will be stuck behind Doueihi and Hastings next year. Not sure how much better than Clune if at all but perhaps worth further investigation.

3. Tyson Gamble (Broncos) he's the clear back-up to Reynolds and Mam so they may want to hold onto him, but I think he's been really solid the last couple of years and continues to show improvement. Similar to Lachlan Lewis in that he's a confident competitor and wont take a backward step.

4. Jayden Sullivan (Dragons) - I know their fans love him and he has potential to be a real highlight reel type player.

5. Kyle Flanagan (Bulldogs) - like the team, he's looked better in recent time. A new coach there may look to go in a new direction.

6. Scott Drinkwater (Cowboys) - He's killing it and that's why the Hammer is unable to get a start for them, but sooner or later they'll want the Hammer at fullback.

7. Drew Hutchinson (Roosters) - played 5/8th most of the time last year and he's a really really solid player.

Not all perfect options but I can see all of them as a starting half for us next year - which you could say is scary and I'd understand.

Madden is the only one I would consider

But none really shift the needle

Mr_Knightside

Juniors

In no particular order:

Can’t help but feel that most of these options are basically Clune in a different wrapper. Solid options who look good at times but probably don’t have the level in them to be regular and dependable first graders.

Drinkwater is a fullback now and I can’t see him moving back to the halves any time soon, his defence in the front line is terrible. Also his form has been so good at FB that the Hammer can’t get back into the team so it’s more likely the Hammer will get squeezed out.

The main one that has some merit there is Hutchison who has been at a very good club stuck behind some very good playmakers. He’d be worth a look at imo. Does he goal kick as well? Jeez we need someone who can goal kick at better than 60%

Jono078

Referee
How can anyone watch how the tigers are playing without brooks and think it's a good idea for the knights to sign him
Especially with how Madden is going. Had a lovely linebreak assist where he held the ball running to the line then popped the edge forward through a hole. Even better, he backed him up and got the try.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
Apparently the Storm approached us very recently to get Mitch Barnett for the remainder of the season.

I have no idea why we'd block the move (other than giving him a proper send off here) considering he's moving on anyway. Could have been a good opportunity to give Pasami or Croker or even Leo Thompson more game time and experience.

Johns Magic

Referee
Apparently the Storm approached us very recently to get Mitch Barnett for the remainder of the season.

I have no idea why we'd block the move (other than giving him a proper send off here) considering he's moving on anyway.

The same reason we blocked Tex Hoy from making a move that would be great for him I guess. Seems we are trying to keep this season as respectable as possible.

Jono078

Referee
The same reason we blocked Tex Hoy from making a move that would be great for him I guess. Seems we are trying to keep this season as respectable as possible.
That was a little earlier on. Apparently the Barnett enquiry is within the last week or so.

I've mentioned it before but it looks like Ponga will be out for the season now, so I think it's negligence by AOB to not give some of these younger players game some real game time experience heading into next season.

There is no benefit to us holding onto Barnett for the last 5 weeks. Well maybe the benefit of keeping the playing group happy they will get to play a few more games with him. I hope he rips in because he has been a bit average of late.

perverse

Referee
Haha yeah, forcing players to hang around that don't want to be here/are unwanted is sure to be good for the morale of the group. On top of all the losing and sucking ass, that is.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors

I have no idea why we'd block the move (other than giving him a proper send off here) considering he's moving on anyway. Could have been a good opportunity to give Pasami or Croker or even Leo Thompson more game time and experience.

Avoiding the wooden spoon is a pretty good reason not to give him to the Storm.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Madden is the only one I would consider

But none really shift the needle
This. Madden only one in that list that's worth discussing.

We're not solving any spine issues in 2023. Use the money and find a centre (or two) who can defend. An edge forward unless the plan is KPP. Use it to improve other areas.

Johns Magic

Referee
This. Madden only one in that list that's worth discussing.

We're not solving any spine issues in 2023. Use the money and find a centre (or two) who can defend. An edge forward unless the plan is KPP. Use it to improve other areas.

Sounds great. But have you looked at the off-contract list?

Yosh

Coach
Tigers look much better with Maddenand there. Maybe Madden might be the safer punt?

Still reckon we should have held onto To'a. Looking pretty good in the centres. At least better than Tuala.

Loose Cannon

Bench

Because O’Brien can’t get his preferred picks to be more than incompetent. And he cares about his employment.

Barnett goes, and we have Kurt Mann Superstar and some other flog taking his place!

Even he realises he’s holding a deuce amongst unmatched singles.