What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Spot On

Coach
Only at the right price and I would not go above 250 k for him. if he was that good Hoppa would not be replacing him.

Des has kept a few players that have been paid massive dollars and not delivered. Their halves situation has been a joke for a few years now yet he continues to persist with them. He doesn't always get right.

macavity

Referee
Apparently doesn't want to live in Sydney, so we have to be a shot.

Will sign with the Roosters ��

K-Man

Bench
I think it's critical we sign one of Roberts, Lafai or Hiku. We've quickly gone from too much depth in the backs to not enough.

At the moment we'll have Ross on the wing and absolutely no cover for injury / suspension in the centres. That's very skinny. Two of the Mata'utias are not first grade quality.

With just one quality centre signing the situation would improve because Sione would bide his time on the wing but be our back-up centre if needed.

Or we can move Gagai to fullback where he belongs, Mamo to wing, and the new centre into Gagai's spot. Either way I think we might need to offer overs to make this happen.

mozza91

Coach
The last option definitely the way to go. Gagai is our best fullback and it also means that a nuffie like Ross isn't in our full strength side.
Hiku and Lafai are decent players but Roberts is a genuine gamebreaker. We need to everything possible to get him.

K-Man

Bench
Agree with everyone on Roberts. Signing him would change everything.

1. Gagai
2. Uate
3. Roberts
4. Mata'utia
5. Mamo

Compared to...

1. Mamo
2. Uate
3. Gagai
4. Mata'utia
5. Ross

We actually improve 3 positions with 1 signing.

Still Nutty

Juniors
Agree with everyone on Roberts. Signing him would change everything.

1. Gagai
2. Uate
3. Roberts
4. Mata'utia
5. Mamo

Compared to...

1. Mamo
2. Uate
3. Gagai
4. Mata'utia
5. Ross

We actually improve 3 positions with 1 signing.

That back line with our forward pack and halves would certainly mean our 1st string side is capable of putting us as a 7th or 8th place finisher next year so long as Brown can get them defensively passable. I'm not looking for miracles next year but just enough structure and commitment to stop teams finding our edge defence such easy pickings.

Wonder what influence Tyrone might have on his considerations??? In saying that I think we are a different club to the one he left last season

Spot On

Coach
That back line with our forward pack and halves would certainly mean our 1st string side is capable of putting us as a 7th or 8th place finisher next year so long as Brown can get them defensively passable. I'm not looking for miracles next year but just enough structure and commitment to stop teams finding our edge defence such easy pickings.

Wonder what influence Tyrone might have on his considerations??? In saying that I think we are a different club to the one he left last season

Ah, a conversation for the ages right there.

grandorient

Bench
I think it's critical we sign one of Roberts, Lafai or Hiku. We've quickly gone from too much depth in the backs to not enough.

At the moment we'll have Ross on the wing and absolutely no cover for injury / suspension in the centres. That's very skinny. Two of the Mata'utias are not first grade quality.

With just one quality centre signing the situation would improve because Sione would bide his time on the wing but be our back-up centre if needed.

Or we can move Gagai to fullback where he belongs, Mamo to wing, and the new centre into Gagai's spot. Either way I think we might need to offer overs to make this happen.

That's exactly what our forum's are saying

GO

Spot On

Coach
We do have some princely paid backs atm. A few who play like paupers though. Do we need to spend big dollars on Roberts or wait it out to buy a couple of decent props.

What would you prefer?

K-Man

Bench
We do have some princely paid backs atm. A few who play like paupers though. Do we need to spend big dollars on Roberts or wait it out to buy a couple of decent props.

What would you prefer?

Personally I'd prefer to snap up Roberts right now because he would change the whole look and structure of our backline. Part of this is because he's a great player, and the other part is because I don't like Mamo at fullback or Gagai at centre. I think they're both going to be playing in the wrong positions, and Roberts would fix that as well as become arguably our best attacking weapon. Whatever it takes to get Gagai at fullback, I'm in favour of.

I don't think we're struggling all that much in the front row either. Sure I wouldn't say no to another quality big man, but I think what we have already is adequate.

Snowden
Paea (my hunch is that he'll be a really good pick-up and surprise a few people)
Stockwell (like a new signing really, and he looks very capable of developing further)
K Sims (reports suggest he's set to move into a wider backrow position, but we can know he can play middle if we need him)
T Sims (no reason he can't play in the middle either considering we have Rochow, Tapine and his brother on the edges already)

Everyone else battling for spots as injury cover - Mataora, Saifiti, Yates, Sironen (if he's still with us) etc...

Spot On

Coach
I hope you are right K-Man and I don't subscribe to the theory that our forwards are always dominated as some do but interestingly we are one of the only NRL clubs without representative props in our rotation.

Another couple quality props would be enormous for us.

slotmachine

First Grade
I don't think we're struggling all that much in the front row either. Sure I wouldn't say no to another quality big man, but I think what we have already is adequate.

Snowden
Paea (my hunch is that he'll be a really good pick-up and surprise a few people)
Stockwell (like a new signing really, and he looks very capable of developing further)
K Sims (reports suggest he's set to move into a wider backrow position, but we can know he can play middle if we need him)
T Sims (no reason he can't play in the middle either considering we have Rochow, Tapine and his brother on the edges already)

Everyone else battling for spots as injury cover - Mataora, Saifiti, Yates, Sironen (if he's still with us) etc...

So we've got 2 first grade props, 1 prop/lock, 2 back rowers and some guys who are either not first grade standard or have never played first grade.

If only we had unlimited TPA's like the Dogs. Tolman, Graham, Klemmer, Kasiano, Lane, Perrett.

harrywilliams

Juniors
Even if we do pay a little over for Roberts, with the amount of players who have left over the last 2 years I am sure we could afford him and a quality prop or 2 as well. It shouldn't have to be one or the other.

slotmachine

First Grade
But it is.

Roberts will get 500k+. We've got 300k + jimmy's & houston's money. That doesn't stretch into Roberts + 1 quality prop territory, let alone 2.

Barry Toohey is saying they might not even have enough for Roberts full stop.

This is the reality when you have Gagai on 575k, Aku on 550k, Sione on 450k and who knows for Mamo/Chanel/Pat/Ross/all the other fringe guys who got upgrades for no discernible reason.

Latest posts