What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Im causiously optimistic about Clifford

Hes bern moved around a lot at the Cowboys and not really given much of a go in 1 position.

Hes got size and talent that could be nurtured
Toohey reckons the interest is genuine. I wasn't that impressed by the highlights reel I saw. He looked like Mann V2. I'll trust better judgement than mine.

Knight Vision

First Grade
Toohey reckons the interest is genuine. I wasn't that impressed by the highlights reel I saw. He looked like Mann V2. I'll trust better judgement than mine.
Usually if a player is a numpty fans are happy to see the back of them. A quick look at the stampede Cowboys forum suggests they are pissed off about losing him ( with the odd exception )

Spot On

Coach
In previous years yes but I honestly think with the new rules it's really taken the aggression and mongrel out of the game. Refs aren't rewarding dominant tackles, you touch the opposition half even a split second after they've no kicked/passed and it's a penalty, slightest bit of niggle after a huge hit is now 6 again. In previous years a player like JWH would pull off a huge hit and be allowed to carry on abit in the tackle and his team mates would be patting him on the back and the whole team lifts, now a big hit more often than not results in a quick play the ball and that psychological lift dissipates

I think we are talking about different types of aggression Aqua - I'n not after a JWH hit resulting in a months suspension type of aggression.

There is still a place for aggression and mongrel in the game with the 6 again rule.

I'm referring to the physicality to which our pack play the game. There is still a place for running hard and hitting hard. For stopping momentum and gaining momentum by hitting ball runners hard instead of just meeting them up top and letting them gain an extra 5+ metres as they pump their legs and then fail to put them on the ground. Too often our side struggles to put ball carries to the ground. However, that is not the case for our opposition.

Mlb showed the way to beat Canberra in the middle in their semi when they hit Papali and Tapine hard and low first with a few over the top. They really weren't sighted that night. Why cant we dominate like that?

I think our pack lacks a lot of leg speed in the middle and so far the 6 again rule has really highlighted that. Our bench forwards sucked this year when compared to the top 6 teams. Only JSaf provided some real impact with and without the ball through aggression - hitting hard (or trying to) and leg speed when carrying the ball. He was looking to hit the line as hard as he could. Look at how good Moses Leota was for Penrith when he came on. High intensity, hard hitting and rips when carrying the ball.

We need much more of that type of forward now. Be good if the blokes trying to put shots on actually hit the target at times too.

Last edited:

Burwood

Bench
We need a pack that hunt as a pack- not one player trying to put on a big shot once or twice a game and hoping that the rest of the side come along with them. The good news is, it comes down to attitude. It’s just up to O’Brien to tap into it somehow.

aqua_duck

Coach
We need a pack that hunt as a pack- not one player trying to put on a big shot once or twice a game and hoping that the rest of the side come along with them. The good news is, it comes down to attitude. It’s just up to O’Brien to tap into it somehow.
That's the thing, it's not about individuals, aggression starts with line speed

aqua_duck

Coach
I think we are talking about different types of aggression Aqua - I'n not after a JWH hit resulting in a months suspension type of aggression.

There is still a place for aggression and mongrel in the game with the 6 again rule.

I'm referring to the physicality to which our pack play the game. There is still a place for running hard and hitting hard. For stopping momentum and gaining momentum by hitting ball runners hard instead of just meeting them up top and letting them gain an extra 5+ metres as they pump their legs and then fail to put them on the ground. Too often our side struggles to put ball carries to the ground. However, that is not the case for our opposition.

Mlb showed the way to beat Canberra in the middle in their semi when they hit Papali and Tapine hard and low first with a few over the top. They really weren't sighted that night. Why cant we dominate like that?

I think our pack lacks a lot of leg speed in the middle and so far the 6 again rule has really highlighted that. Our bench forwards sucked this year when compared to the top 6 teams. Only JSaf provided some real impact with and without the ball through aggression - hitting hard (or trying to) and leg speed when carrying the ball. He was looking to hit the line as hard as he could. Look at how good Moses Leota was for Penrith when he came on. High intensity, hard hitting and rips when carrying the ball.

We need much more of that type of forward now. Be good if the blokes trying to put shots on actually hit the target at times too.
Both the Saifiti boys run hard, hot hard and have leg speed, for me it's not so much about mongrel, leg speed, aggression but footwork, none of our forwards have any sort of late footwork, look at guys like Kikau, Yep, Liam Martin, etc all have abit of footwork and can play before the line, none of our forwards have that

Both the Saifiti boys run hard, hot hard and have leg speed, for me it's not so much about mongrel, leg speed, aggression but footwork, none of our forwards have any sort of late footwork, look at guys like Kikau, Yep, Liam Martin, etc all have abit of footwork and can play before the line, none of our forwards have that
It's interesting... when you look through that Panthers forward pack individually with their strengths and on form, it makes you wonder how they got blown away in the GF. We'd do anything for just one forward with their energy and enthusiasm.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The one forward we’ve had over the last few years who did have a bit of footwork and ball playing ability was Herman but we let him go. It would be nice to get one or two on the cheap who can add something different to our pack.

Spot On

Coach

Agree on the footwork. That would be a nice add on to the other things we have been discussing.

Yosh

Coach
I really liked Herman too. 2/5 games he'd be great but the other 3 he would almost cost us the game. Can't have a player like that when trying to win the Premiership.

With almost half our forwards gone and probably Mann as well, surely we have a ton of cap space for another quality forward.

Herman was one of those players that make you think "what could've been". It doesn't matter what great attributes a player has when he has that many random handling errors and defensive lapses in his game. He was directly responsible for letting in a number of tries he should've stopped during his time here and that's enough for me not to miss him unfortunately.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I’m not necessarily going to regret that he signed elsewhere given his inconsistency but his skill set is one we badly need in a couple of forwards for 2021. Not sure where we get it from but I hope we’re after someone dynamic.

Herman's main issue seemed to be his attitude in training. That reflected on the field. Maybe he just didn't like the place.
I agree he has potential not realised. If he can perform at close to his ability consistently he'll be a bonus to any club. A change might suit him.
I thought Herman going might be an opportunity for Sione to step up. Sione has a step but he's been (mis) developed into just hitting up. That opportunity with us is now gone but good on him.

Esese was our one guy who had some footwork but we let him go

Frizell can fill that hole i think. As long as he leaves his 2020 form at the Dragons

Latest posts