What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Yosh

Coach
I have only seen negative things about the lad but if he is coming for cheap and coming to save his career, then it's surely worth a crack?

Actually just saw the interview with JT, the guy looks rocked. I think he might turn it around if someone throws him a lifeline. I would take a good old crack at him.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
I have only seen negative things about the lad but if he is coming for cheap and coming to save his career, then it's surely worth a crack?
Negatives are his consistency and attitude - so we are a perfect fit.

But his upside is great, on his day he dominates the likes of Taumaulolo and creates all sorts of havoc, we just haven't seen it enough. Some club will take a chance on him and I'm sure will get him to the next level of his game.

aqua_duck

Coach
Apparently the tigers deal is all but done, talent wise he's an upgrade on pretty much any forward we have but attitude is obviously a massive issue with him. Ideally him being a local boy he'd want to come home and an attitude change would ensue but let's be honest I've got a higher likelihood of winning the lottery than that scenario happening.

perverse

Referee
I'd be pretty torn about picking up TPG. Upside is huge, and he'd be a great point of difference in our pack. On the other hand, are we a club that can get the best out of him? Can any club do it?

Dunno. I don't think I'd be upset if we got him, or if we missed out to be honest. I could probably justify either eventuality in my head after the fact.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I can’t see us going after him. Didn’t he knock us back a few years after coming and touring the facilities and basically using us as a way of bumping his price up at the broncos?

As some people have said, on his best day he’s one of the most damaging players in the game but you probably only get that a few times each season and the rest of the time you get a penalty magnet who comes in and out of games and isn’t willing to do the hard work, not to mention he’s a massive grub with some of the off the ball stuff he does and it just doesn’t belong in the modern game.

Also the way he carried on at the broncos last year trying to get out of his contract he just seems like a character that we don’t need at this club. We need guys who are prepared to roll up their sleeves and work hard for their team mates, not a show boater who is prepared to jump ship for a higher bidder.

We need a Dale Finucane.
Is it? Sure hes a good middle but he doesnt offer us much more than what we already have at the moment though. What we need is a bit of attacking flare, some footwork at the line and a quick PTB in the middle.

Not sure Finucane offers that

Burwood

Bench
I said a Dale Finucane, not Dale Finucane. But even so, the guy is the ultimate professional and apparently one of Bellamy’s favourite players ever. Who is the leader of our pack who goes out every week and does all the little things? Who inspires the team with their attitude and actions?

We lack consistency and professionalism- I’d take him or a player in his mold over TPJ every day of the week. I thought that guy was going to be Klemmer, but for whatever reason it hasn’t turned out to be that way.

Yosh

Coach
I said a Dale Finucane, not Dale Finucane. But even so, the guy is the ultimate professional and apparently one of Bellamy’s favourite players ever. Who is the leader of our pack who goes out every week and does all the little things? Who inspires the team with their attitude and actions?

We lack consistency and professionalism- I’d take him or a player in his mold over TPJ every day of the week. I thought that guy was going to be Klemmer, but for whatever reason it hasn’t turned out to be that way.

I think that's a bit harsh on Klemmer. He came in when our forward pack was by far the worst in the comp. He made a rep player out of Dan and Jacob is getting near that level too. He even helped Josh King become a first grade quality player. Also, I don't think guys like Frizzell would have came if Klemmer didn't come first.

On the field he isn't dynamic and probably past his best but he is a workhorse and gets most things right in defense as well. If he gets back that wicked offload back into his game I reckon he is a ton more value than Dale Finucane.

macavity

Referee
yes to TPJ at the right price, no to Finucane as we would have to pay overs and he is well past it.

TPJ at the Tigers would be just weird.

Burwood

Bench
I think that's a bit harsh on Klemmer. He came in when our forward pack was by far the worst in the comp. He made a rep player out of Dan and Jacob is getting near that level too. He even helped Josh King become a first grade quality player. Also, I don't think guys like Frizzell would have came if Klemmer didn't come first.

On the field he isn't dynamic and probably past his best but he is a workhorse and gets most things right in defense as well. If he gets back that wicked offload back into his game I reckon he is a ton more value than Dale Finucane.

I wasn’t clear at all, but the Klemmer comment was in regards to leadership. I’m amazed that an Australian and NSW rep wasn’t part of the leadership group. Not sure why the coaching and player group didn’t see him in that light, but there’s obviously some underlying issue there.

blaza88z

Coach
I can’t see us going after him. Didn’t he knock us back a few years after coming and touring the facilities and basically using us as a way of bumping his price up at the broncos?

As some people have said, on his best day he’s one of the most damaging players in the game but you probably only get that a few times each season and the rest of the time you get a penalty magnet who comes in and out of games and isn’t willing to do the hard work, not to mention he’s a massive grub with some of the off the ball stuff he does and it just doesn’t belong in the modern game.

Also the way he carried on at the broncos last year trying to get out of his contract he just seems like a character that we don’t need at this club. We need guys who are prepared to roll up their sleeves and work hard for their team mates, not a show boater who is prepared to jump ship for a higher bidder.

I agree with your last paragraph there. There is something he does behind the scenes the club doesn't like, he's one of our most damaging players and has been better for us this year than in past years, the reason the club is prepared to release him has nothing to do with the footy he is playing.

Any club who takes him on surely has to be aware of this, why would we let a guy go who is playing some great footy (at times he is the best in the comp in his position). We will probably end up paying part of his contract for the remainder of his deal and the guy we replace him with will surely not be as effective, it's got nothing to do with the footy he plays, there's something going on in the background that they don't like and they feel that letting him go is one of the first steps to restructuring the club, pretty big statement that.

aqua_duck

Coach
I don't buy this 'leadership' thing, I mean firstly Klemmer was supposed to be our forward leader, then Frizzell, now Saifiti and Barnett is also in the leadership group. Look at our losses, it's not like we're getting killed up the middle, it's the fringes where we're getting absolutely destroyed as well as a lack of ability to score points, Finucane won't help in any of those areas.
Finucane is a very good player but has been very injury prone lately, is about to turn 30 and strengthens an area we're not really deficient in.
Maybe I'm seeing something different but in my opinion the reason we're going so bad is a distinct lack of depth and experience especially in the backs, some very questionable game plans and extremely poor structure in attack and defence.
Intangible stuff aside what exactly does Finucane offer that the rest of our middles don't?
Our priorities need to be the following:
1.winger who can stay fit and make metres early in the set.
2.centre who can defend
3.left edge forward who can do more than just run a crash line
4.forward that offer a point of difference whether it be offload, footwork or ball playing

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I don't buy this 'leadership' thing, I mean firstly Klemmer was supposed to be our forward leader, then Frizzell, now Saifiti and Barnett is also in the leadership group. Look at our losses, it's not like we're getting killed up the middle, it's the fringes where we're getting absolutely destroyed as well as a lack of ability to score points, Finucane won't help in any of those areas.
Finucane is a very good player but has been very injury prone lately, is about to turn 30 and strengthens an area we're not really deficient in.
Maybe I'm seeing something different but in my opinion the reason we're going so bad is a distinct lack of depth and experience especially in the backs, some very questionable game plans and extremely poor structure in attack and defence.
Intangible stuff aside what exactly does Finucane offer that the rest of our middles don't?
Our priorities need to be the following:
1.winger who can stay fit and make metres early in the set.
2.centre who can defend
3.left edge forward who can do more than just run a crash line
4.forward that offer a point of difference whether it be offload, footwork or ball playing

I agree with all of this.