What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Woosh

Head Moderator
England’s version of Sonny Bill Williams is coming to the NRL.

After months of speculation, the Knights have confirmed they have secured the signatures of Super League sensations Kai Pearce-Paul and Will Pryce to help spearhead a rebuild in the Steel City.

Newly-appointed Newcastle football boss Peter Parr says Pearce-Paul and Pryce will be in Knights colours from 2024 after the club’s recruitment chief Clint Zammit flew to England earlier this year to watch the duo from close range.

Wigan whiz-kid Pearce-Paul, 21, is a blockbusting back-rower likened in playing style to NRL legend Sonny Bill Williams, while the 19-year-old Pryce has lit up the Super League with his sizzling performances for Huddersfield.

“They are both coming in 2024,” said Parr, who joined Newcastle after two decades at the Cowboys.

“Our recruitment chief Clint Zammit has an enormous wrap on Pearce-Paul and Pryce.

“One (Pryce) is a playmaker and the other one (Pearce-Paul) is a gun in the back row so we’re looking forward to their arrival.

“From what Clint tells me, they are committed to coming here in 2024 and that will be exciting for our roster.

Newcastle made subtle inquiries about having Pearce-Paul and Pryce in Knights colours next season, but Wigan and Huddersfield are reluctant to agree to an early release for the rising stars at this stage.

Pryce is the son of former 24-Test England star Leon, while Pearce-Paul recently told British media his older brother Kameron, who plays for London Skolars, labelled him an SBW clone.

“My brother has been saying that since I was young, that I’d be the next Sonny Bill Williams,” said Pearce-Paul, who is 196cm and 101kg.

“I like to offload, a similar style to Sonny Bill. He’s a great, great player, someone I looked up to when I was young.”

Burwood

Bench
I swear the exact same article was published a month or so ago? The only change is now they’re quoting Parr.

PhilGould

Bench
The never ending articles saying the exact same thing about the English boys continue. At least there's some quotes from within the club confirming it this time.

Easy to just say no to a release midway through successful seasons for both teams but if they themselves start agitating for a release once the season is done I imagine talks would ramp back up quickly.

aqua_duck

Coach
Mapapalangi is a classic case of failure to develop after showing signs of making good recruitment decision.
Played 5/8 and f/b for Manly and we have him and as far as I am aware we haven’t played him in either position, usually Centre/Wing, this despite our obvious weakness in his two preferred spots
yep, it's the same story as To'a and Sisagi. To'a was a schoolboys star as a fullback and centre but AOB refused to play him anywhere but on the wing even when Hoy and Mann were at peak derp level, goes to Tigers and has been pretty solid for them at centre, Sisagi came here as a 5/8th, we decided he was a centre than 12 months later we decided he's a middle but the only time he gets a start is at centre or wing

PhilGould

Bench
CLIFFORD ON OUTER

Newcastle playmaker Jake Clifford could be departing the Knights at season’s end after falling out of favour.

Clifford has tumbled down the pecking order of halves at Newcastle and may be set for an early exit.

The former Cowboys shot-caller is contracted to the Knights until the end of 2023 but it wouldn’t surprise to see him leave early.

Clifford, 24, has had a tough year at Newcastle and took a brief break from the game mid-season to focus on his mental health.

He is a talented player but after 67 NRL games is yet to dominate consistently in first grade.

ryan.a87

Juniors
Maybe Melbourne want to swap him and Hughes?

but seriously, is there any other club out there more desperate for a half than us atm that would take him?

Frederick

Staff member
CLIFFORD ON OUTER

Newcastle playmaker Jake Clifford could be departing the Knights at season’s end after falling out of favour.

Clifford has tumbled down the pecking order of halves at Newcastle and may be set for an early exit.

The former Cowboys shot-caller is contracted to the Knights until the end of 2023 but it wouldn’t surprise to see him leave early.

Clifford, 24, has had a tough year at Newcastle and took a brief break from the game mid-season to focus on his mental health.

He is a talented player but after 67 NRL games is yet to dominate consistently in first grade.

Zero direct quotes, purely speculation

I mean, probably true, but still

"may be set for an early exit."

"is contracted to the Knights until the end of 2023 but it wouldn’t surprise to see him leave early."

Such a typical nothing News Limited article

Yosh

Coach
What you guys think of Jakob Arthur? He looks like he has all the skills of a good halfback in a backrower's body.

Old dog

Juniors
If Clifford stays or leaves we are in need of both 6 & 7, Clifford himself is good enough when on song but under his current form is too up and down to bring us success along with a few other team failings

Yosh

Coach
I wouldnt be against both Arthurs coming here.

Totally random but why isn't the club doing everything to get Cooper Johns here?

Jono078

Referee
Why would Clifford be on the outer when he's our best half available next year?

We've seen him play some of his best footy here. Why aren't we doing everything we can to get that out of him? Sure he has to take some responsibility but it'd be shit to see him do well and terrorise us with his bombs next year..

Old dog

Juniors
Club should hang on to him for at least his contract next season, help him in any way, get him playing to his capabilities.
Its not like he is surplus to our needs, our weakest positions at this time is 6 & 7, he plays both, given we need better but he is best we’ve got, have a whole off season to develop and help