What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Zoidberg

First Grade
I think (hope) Miller will be a solid signing. We have the x-factor with Ponga and Hastings, what we need is someone solid in kick coverage and enthusiastic in attack, popping up where needed with good kick returns.

And where are the Dogs getting all this money from? They are the new Roosters with a salary sombrero. Seem to be buying everyone.

Jono078

Referee
I think (hope) Miller will be a solid signing. We have the x-factor with Ponga and Hastings, what we need is someone solid in kick coverage and enthusiastic in attack, popping up where needed with good kick returns.
I am eager to see Miller's support play and use of his speed to explode onto some good offloads.

But we know what AOB ball is like, 1-out hit-ups and will probably ruin Miller by telling him to just hover around the ruck at all times.

I am eager to see Miller's support play and use of his speed to explode onto some good offloads.

But we know what AOB ball is like, 1-out hit-ups and will probably ruin Miller by telling him to just hover around the ruck at all times.
To be truthful, Miller was very good at hanging around the ruck and supporting offloads from a hit up. Really good.
He was also very good at kick returns.
He just really wasn't a "set others up" type player. We were playing him a bit at 5/8 for Newtown to get that part going.

Yosh

Coach
Big Dom fan. Would hate to lose him. I thought we were a proud club. A club famous for its grit and fighting spirit. When did we become the whipping boys of the NRL? Are we now a feeder club for the big Sydney clubs? We just going to keep picking up the scraps and keep making up excuses? When did the Knights lose its soul?

Big Dom fan. Would hate to lose him. I thought we were a proud club. A club famous for its grit and fighting spirit. When did we become the whipping boys of the NRL? Are we now a feeder club for the big Sydney clubs? We just going to keep picking up the scraps and keep making up excuses? When did the Knights lose its soul?

Hasn't that always been the case?

perverse

Referee
We lost our soul during the Joey years. We didn't need to do anything except get him on the park for over a decade. Papered over all the cracks that were forming. We haven't recovered since.

mozza91

Coach
We lost our soul during the Joey years. We didn't need to do anything except get him on the park for over a decade. Papered over all the cracks that were forming. We haven't recovered since.
It boggles the mind to think how fingered we’d be as a club if Joey never came along. No premierships and no hope. Only the supporter base would’ve kept the club from folding multiple times.

aqua_duck

Coach
I think people are missing the fact that we need to have a couple of fullbacks on the books. It's all good to say "let's not sign Miller and give Hodgson first crack" but if we did that and Hodgson gets injured again (not unlikely) then we're probably moving KP back there again, and if the coaching staff are serious about this 5/8 experiment then I don't want KP being the first guy they turn to when our regular FB gets injured. Ultimately for this to work long term we need KP spending all season at 5/8 and really honing his craft there rather than being switched back to FB every few weeks when we have an injury.

I haven't seen Miller play but he got to play some first grade last year and from all accounts he's a goer so I think we've done pretty well to get him especially given it's fairly late notice.

Obviously people aren't happy to give up a promising junior to get him but we're not in the strongest bargaining position and them's the breaks. At least prop forward is an area where it's easier to plug a hole especially if you need to get someone at minimal cost, whereas it's tough getting a decent NRL quality player to fill a spine position especially when it's last minute. At least this guy has played some first grade and has some strengths which will complement our side and Sharks fans are saying good things about him which is a plus, given it's usually the fans who are most critical of a player.
Miller only had a year to run on his contract anyway so we’re giving up a potential 10 year prop to get Miller 9 months early, this is not a long term move unless there is some unrealistic expectation that Miller is going to be the difference between us making up the numbers and being competitors. This is not a move with the long term future of the club at heart but rather to prolong AOB’s coaching career

aqua_duck

Coach
Signing a player in a position we desperately required for a kid who is unproven and who plays a position that we’re pretty strong in isn’t the worst recruitment decision.
I personally don’t agree we’re strong at prop, the Saifitis have never shown the ability to put a full season of top level performances together, Hethrington is likely to be moved to an edge and Crocker and Thompson are unproven, beyond them we literally have no one. Signing Miller in a vacuum is not a bad move but it also doesn’t instantly make us contenders and given Miller will be 29 this year it’s not really a long term fix either.
For me the problem with us is all the moves we make aren’t moves that could turn us into a powerhouse instead it’s like we’re happy to limp into the 8 and lose week 1

Yosh

Coach
All of our boys who go play SOO, make a big impact every game they play. I don't think we lack that much in ability, it's more a coaching thing.

I think both Saifitis will fire from around 6 weeks in after AOB is replaced.

Knight Tales

Juniors
All of our boys who go play SOO, make a big impact every game they play. I don't think we lack that much in ability, it's more a coaching thing.

I think both Saifitis will fire from around 6 weeks in after AOB is replaced.
More of an attitude thing. They all have garbage attitudes at club level. Also leadership is where all of them need to realise they are full grown adults and when things go wrong it is on them as much as the coach. Great leaders don’t worry about game plans when they know they are rubbish. They find a way. This mob hide behind every little ‘culture’ excuse they can find. The Safitis are in a huge comfort zone and it just got a lot bigger. The one player who got is done every week is gone.

Knight76

Juniors
The club must strongly believe Miller is going to deliver substantially better performances at the back than Gagai could. Hodgson isn't ready for NRL just yet.

I hope the lad comes here and kills it, but if not, Gagai can step in but geez what an embarrasment for the club. Trading a young promising player for an end of career reserve grader only to swap Gagai in there.

OB is betting the house on Miller working with Ponga at 5/8 and Hastings arriving and the whole shebang meshing together with OB's scintilating attacking play he is known for.

We are second favourites for the spoon only above the Dolphins.

Geez I'm glad I renewed my membership!

Latest posts