What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Yosh

Coach
I’m hoping re-signing Gamble is a sign that we no longer want to/except to sign Blaize Talagi.

I wasn’t happy with the signing attempt previously and the more I watch him the more I think he’s a bit overrated without an obvious position (the Eels don’t seem to be able to develop players though so he might improve if left in one position).

We still need a quality half, but I don’t think it’s him.
Pryce could become a quality half. Gamble is a great partner in crime for anu dominant half I reckon.

SamSepi0l

Juniors
Gamble/Pryce halves pairing would be a dog chasing its tail. The guy just played a solid debut and we have people wanting to change him to a new position.. While at the same time in other threads complaining about the chopping and changing of combinations.

Knight Tales

Bench
Gamble/Pryce halves pairing would be a dog chasing its tail. The guy just played a solid debut and we have people wanting to change him to a new position.. While at the same time in other threads complaining about the chopping and changing of combinations.
That won’t happen unless injury forces our hand.

Lucas
Sharpe
KPP
Will
Best
KP
Leo
That is the core of our next 5-10 years which O’Sullivan can build around. How that fits together is up to the coach. If I saw those players and knew O’Sullivan was the recruitment boss I would be pretty stoked.

Yosh

Coach
Cr
That won’t happen unless injury forces our hand.

Lucas
Sharpe
KPP
Will
Best
KP
Leo
That is the core of our next 5-10 years which O’Sullivan can build around. How that fits together is up to the coach. If I saw those players and knew O’Sullivan was the recruitment boss I would be pretty stoked.

Crossland isn't a world beater but he could be a 13 year career player here.

Woody90

Juniors

O’Sullivan getting right to work and probably making the tough decisions that others have wanted to make for years but didn’t due to how long he’s been at the club.

Such a shame he became so lazy. I’ll always have fond memories of the emergence of the Saf brothers, particularly Daniel being one of our only shining lights of the spoon years. Disappointed he only lived up to his potential very briefly and couldn’t be a Knight for life.

Could see him going to Souths or Storm with Bennett/Bellamy thinking they can get him back to his best.

Woosh

Head Moderator
DANIEL Saifiti has confirmed that he is preparing to leave the Newcastle Knights at season's end after being asked by the club to explore alternative options with rival outfits.
Despite being contracted to Newcastle for two seasons after this one, the 28-year-old was recently advised that the Knights would like him to move on to help ease salary-cap pressure.

There has been speculation that other Newcastle players, including co-captain Jayden Brailey, have received similar taps on the shoulder as the club strives to re-shape its roster.

Saifiti said while he had hoped to play out his career alongside his twin sibling Jacob, as one-club stalwarts, he understood the nature of the business.

"Whatever happens, happens," Saifiti told the Newcastle Herald. "My perspective has changed.

"I've got two young kids now - we had a daughter just over a week ago - and my family comes first.

"I always wanted to be a Newcastle Knight for my whole career, but if it doesn't happen, it doesn't happen.

"I'll always be part of the Newcastle Knights - I'm a life member here - but if I'm here, I'm here, if I'm not, I'm not.

The Knights re-signed Saifiti to a lucrative long-term contract extension in 2021, when he was an incumbent State of Origin representative who had helped NSW win two interstate series.

He is understood to be Newcastle's highest-paid player other than skipper Kalyn Ponga, and if there is no viable interest in the marketplace, he is entitled to see out his deal at the Knights.

But the more likely outcome is that the Knights will offer him a partial payout and he will sign for one of their competitors, in what could be the last significant contract of an NRL career that kicked off in 2016 and has delivered 173 top-grade games.

"I think Stevie Wonder could see that our salary cap is not in the best position," he said.

"But they've been up front and honest, and I have to respect that.

"If I wanted to dig my heels in and stay, I could stay.

"But I love this club too much, if that's the way they want to go ... I'll do what's best for myself and my family, but I also have this club's interests at heart as well.

"The club has always been really good to me and [twin sibling] Jacob. But at the same time, I think we've been good for them, too."
If Saifiti does find a suitable club at which to make a fresh start, he is likely to find himself playing against Jacob for the first time since their childhood days in the backyard, which he admitted would be "weird".

"We've always played in the same teams together on the weekend," he said.

"We'd play against each other in the backyard. We used to tear in and had a few run-ins, which I think made us better players.

"But we're grown up now. Jacob's married, I've got two kids, so we've got our own families to provide for."

Promoted to Newcastle's starting line-up when Leo Thompson was a late withdrawal before last week's clash with Parramatta, Daniel responded with a performance that suggested he had a point to prove.

Playing against two fellow ex-NSW props in Junior Paulo and Reagan Campbell-Gillard, Saifiti carted the ball 126 metres, made 18 tackles and popped a quality offload that created Newcastle's opening try, scored by rookie five-eighth Will Pryce.

"I feel like my best games this year have been when I've started.

"It was an opportunity for me to start with Jacob.

"I know Leo has been doing a great job, but as soon as I found out I was starting with my brother, I was excited."

Having previously stated numerous times that he felt Thompson and Jacob had "earned the right" to be Newcastle's starting front-rowers, Daniel admitted he is now hoping to retain his position in the run-on team.

"Jacob and Leo have been setting the tone all this year, and last year as well, and whether I'm off the bench or starting, I'll do my job," he said. "But everyone prefers to be starting."

Knights coach Adam O'Brien confirmed that would be a possibility for Sunday's clash with the Raiders in Canberra again.

"I'm considering starting him again," O'Brien said, adding that the 121-kilogram prop came up with some desperate plays late in the game, when the result was still hanging in the balance.

"I thought he was exceptional," O'Brien said.

"Especially for those that enjoy stats, he was quite high with his work-rate - I think he was 16 or 17 carries, and good metreage.

"And I thought he was nice and sound ... there's just parts of his game that probably go unnoticed by people, but they don't by teammates and the coaching staff."

Meanwhile, the NRL is reportedly investigating an incident in which Paulo was allegedly abused by a spectator after Saturday's game.

macavity

Referee
Just can't picture a saf in another strip. makes me sad.

Ricky loves former Knights..

TBH can see him taking Jesse Bromwich spot at the Adolphs.

PhilGould

Bench
Hopwood is a prop/lock who played Aus Schoolboys last year and u/19's Blues last week. He's very tall, really good footwork for his size, has a dangerous offload, can ballplay through the middle and always tidy in defence. Won SG Ball Player of the Year and Players' Player. Also got the leadership award that covers all of the club's junior grades after filling in as captain for most of the season despite being 2 years younger and less experienced than most of the squad.

Only just turned 18 and has some filling out to do so wouldn't expect him to debut this season, but I'm not surprised O'Sullivan's first official move as recruitment manager looks to be fast-tracking him to the top squad, even over the likes of Votano. He's a really good prospect.

Disappointed he only lived up to his potential very briefly and couldn’t be a Knight for life.
His choice, winners wake up wanting to win, it's in their DNA, it's who they are.

There will be a season or so at his new club where he tries, but eventually like all losers he will revert to his default nature of happy to just get paid.

Whoever takes a punt on him will do so for a fraction of his current contract.

Latest posts