What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

PhilGould

Bench
Bulldogs were the team apparently sniffing around last year and still lack quality props, but yeah it'll be difficult to find a team to even get close to taking his full freight.

Of course dsaf actually has a go on Saturday after getting put in the shop window.
exactly what I said to my Dad as we watched game. O'Sullivan appointment no doubt will make a few lift.

any club that was serious about succeeding would have already punted him.
he'd have been told over a year ago, or be playing reserve grade for more than 12 months at any top 4 club.

aqua_duck

Coach
Hopwood is a prop/lock who played Aus Schoolboys last year and u/19's Blues last week. He's very tall, really good footwork for his size, has a dangerous offload, can ballplay through the middle and always tidy in defence. Won SG Ball Player of the Year and Players' Player. Also got the leadership award that covers all of the club's junior grades after filling in as captain for most of the season despite being 2 years younger and less experienced than most of the squad.

Only just turned 18 and has some filling out to do so wouldn't expect him to debut this season, but I'm not surprised O'Sullivan's first official move as recruitment manager looks to be fast-tracking him to the top squad, even over the likes of Votano. He's a really good prospect.
Yeh Hopwood looks a good prospect, I think he can be a really good prop if they decide to go that way as he’ll easily fill out to 110-115kg but I’d like to see them develop him into a Patrick Carrigan style lock forward

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
The D Saf news is a shame but not unexpected, he was payed to be an elite front rower and has regressed significantly from where he was a few years ago.

Herherington was signed on big overs for some reason, it’s mind boggling that he would be on over $500K per year and plays about 20-30 mins off the bench most weeks, and typically spends another 10 mins in the bin as well.

Jayden Brailey is the really unfortunate one though. Injuries have just totally killed any opportunity for him to reach his potential because I felt like he could have represented NSW by now if he’d continued to improve. But yeah multiple ACL injuries have just totally ruined him as a quality NRL hooker. We can’t keep paying him $600K< to not even the threatening from dummy half.

All that being said, these three are top of the list of guys that we need to move on from for various reasons. Well done O’Sullivan for making the tough calls immediately!

Woody90

Juniors
Will be interesting if there’s any more. I wouldn’t trust 360 at all in terms of accuracy but I wouldn’t really consider 3 players a clean out (important ones though in terms of poor value for money).

Zoidberg

First Grade
A proper half, hooker and prop would be excellent additions to the team. Probably the 3 position we actually need as well. This O'Sullivan lad looks like he knows what he is doing!!
I guess the question is, will we be able to get the players we need?

Toohey reckons we'll be borderline with the Cap next season which is one reason we are letting DSaf and others go.
So question will be how much we are prepared to spend seeing as we still seem to be hunting for a half.

Apey

Staff member
If he loved the club that much, then his effort against Parramatta would probably still be below his baseline - because he'd be fitter than he is now.

Sometimes people do just need a change in life, too. Either way, happy to see the back of DSaf and wish him all the best where ever he ends up.
Yeah the cynic in me wonders if he loves the club because they've paid him a fortune for the past few years and he's barely had to keep fit. I'd love my employer if they were paying me nearly 800k.

Yosh

Coach
Yeah the cynic in me wonders if he loves the club because they've paid him a fortune for the past few years and he's barely had to keep fit. I'd love my employer if they were paying me nearly 800k.
I dunno man. Have you been averaging 54m, 18 tackles and 3 mistakes a week for the past 8 years at your job too??

Nuke

Staff member
First off, I'm sad that DSaf's likely to be leaving. I'm sad because he seems like he loves the club, has come through our juniors, and, really, should be and could have been a top prop in the game. I'm sad because it's seemingly his attitude that has let him, and us, down. I really want him to succeed, and succeed at the Knights. I don't really want to see him lining up for another NRL team.

But his quotes in that article seem to indicate that he feels it's the salary cap that's forcing him out. Okay, yes, he's on a shit-tonne of money, but he doesn't indicate that he realises he's being moved on because he's just not aiming up. And hasn't done so for a number of years. If he had a red hot dig, and consistently, no doubt he'd still be in the future plans.

It is kinda funny though. When the Safs first came into the NRL, Dad repeatedly used to comment that Daniel was the better twin and that Jacob was the lazy one. If he were still around now, he'd be surprised that it's swung the other way.