What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

Knight Tales

Bench
Gus Gould is doing it with the Dogs in quick time. It's not fantasy, it's basic business sense.

As an example in basic terms - If a player is on the average salary for their relative position in the roster, they need to be AT LEAST providing the club with consistent stats that place them in the average for that position - above those stats and the club is winning - below those stats and you lose.

The more players performing above their pay grade the more successful the club

Unless of course your the Roosters and the cap does not apply.
It was a rhetorical question. You answered the question though in your last sentence. You are deadset dreaming. The Dogs have won 20 out of their last 92 games. So the odds of them sustaining what they are doing is low. It may be great defensive system but the talent gulf between them and the Panthers is enormous. Gould has paid huge money for returns that only now are starting to show. It has taken Burton three years to finally click. It was never a sudden overnight fix.

Last edited:

Like most stats, Baseball has exactly this. VORP (or WARP).
Players like Lucas, Crossland, Croker, Leo, Marz, Tuala, are players offering at or above the pay grade performance and value to the roster = excellent value

The players above compensate the cap thiefs offering below their pay grade- DSaf, Hetherington, Elliot and Braily.

Gags, Friz and Jsaf offer performance at value and bring other qualities to the team- experience, leadership.

Good to see Bradman starting to also offer at his pay grade, now he needs to do it every week.

It was a rhetorical question. You answered the question thought in your last sentence. You are deadset dreaming. The Dogs have won 20 out of their last 92 games. So the odds of them sustaining what they are doing is low.
Oh rhetorical 😀 and here I was just thinking you were slow.

Dogs are far from the finished product.

EDIT - https://www.zerotackle.com/players/off-contract-2025/ Ya man is off contract next year, if he's good value as you say I have no doubt the Knights will be looking to extend ASAP before another club swoops

Knight Tales

Bench
Oh rhetorical 😀 and here I was just thinking you were slow.

Dogs are far from the finished product.

EDIT - https://www.zerotackle.com/players/off-contract-2025/ Ya man is off contract next year, if he's good value as you say I have no doubt the Knights will be looking to extend ASAP before another club swoops
Oh Jesus. Here we go. In case he hadn’t already made his point of how useless we all are and especially old mate Elliott.

Woody90

Juniors
Even if we re-signed him it wouldn't prove anything about his current deal, whatever the price.

Exactly. Hell if we can free up some cap space by getting rid of the players actually responsible for hurting our cap maybe we could get an upgrade on Elliott and not need to re-sign him. At the moment though we don’t have a viable alternative that will be better value for money and that’s the bottom line.

Reactions: Rod

Rod

Bench
The better argument against Elliott from 2026 onwards is that we already have enough money tied up in the backrow, especially with Lucas needing to be locked down for longer soon enough.

He will be surplus to requirements soon but that's not the same as being overpaid.

aqua_duck

Coach
Players like Lucas, Crossland, Croker, Leo, Marz, Tuala, are players offering at or above the pay grade performance and value to the roster = excellent value

The players above compensate the cap thiefs offering below their pay grade- DSaf, Hetherington, Elliot and Braily.

Gags, Friz and Jsaf offer performance at value and bring other qualities to the team- experience, leadership.

Good to see Bradman starting to also offer at his pay grade, now he needs to do it every week.
I’m curious what kind of elite replacement do you think we’d get at $460k?
You’ve lumped Elliot into a group where 2 of those players are getting paid elite money for their position and are playing like fringe first graders and the other bloke is getting paid borderline rep money and is barely bench quality. Elliott is on abit more than the average top 30 salary but is a starting level middle forward

Yosh

Coach
I don't think Elliot is on too much either. You can get 2 Elliots for one Dan Saifiti. I think everyone would choose 2 Elliots and upgrade so where else in the top 30.

macavity

Referee
A massive contributor is the NRLs silly rule that clubs must spend 95% of the cap each year. Basically forces clubs with average rosters to pay average players above average wages

the good clubs move cap between years and extend promising kids by front loading.

The average clubs have trouble doing that as the promising kids forget the front loading and want upgrades regardless.

I’m curious what kind of elite replacement do you think we’d get at $460k?
not elite, ( that would require elite money) but a player that plays at the very least to their pay packet, and hopefully exceeds it.

Elliott is on abit more than the average top 30 salary but is a starting level middle forward
and consistently performing below it

so low are the standards that plod gets a free pass

aqua_duck

Coach
not elite, ( that would require elite money) but a player that plays at the very least to their pay packet, and hopefully exceeds it.

and consistently performing below it

so low are the standards that plod gets a free pass
In an ideal world you can hope to get lucky with someone like Sam McIntyre on the cheap for a year and he outplays his contract value but that bargain value typically only lasts a year before you have to upgrade them from say $250k a year to the Adam Elliott price range. You can find cheap wingers, centres, interchange forwards and maybe even edge backrowers but starting middles are hard to find on the cheap unless you gamble on a kid