What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

perverse

Referee
I'd definitely argue he's been missed for sure, and I thought we all said he would be based on last years form. Last year was by far Lachie's best year. The hope was that KPP would eventually grow into a higher ceiling (and also, Fitzgibbon maintaining that form was hardly a given). But yeah, most teams would miss the 2023 edition of Fitz, he was very strong.
Just another thought on this while I'm at it. Fitz was almost as annoying as DSaf for mine in that his hot run of form really kicked off once he'd already been tapped on the shoulder and shopped around. We were all pretty happy to see the back of him, and then suddenly he was playing the house down. If Guys like DSaf and Fitz offered their best to us week in, week out for good portions of their careers - then we wouldn't be having half of the conversations we have about our team.

Too many of our players get comfy and don't produce the best footy at the Knights. There's blokes like Josh King, Nick Meaney, Connor Watson, Beau Fermor and others out there having NRL careers too. None of them would have kicked on at the Knights. We're just not that good an environment.

Josh King and Nick Meaney may well be valued contributors to a premiership winning team this year.

macavity

Referee
Just another thought on this while I'm at it. Fitz was almost as annoying as DSaf for mine in that his hot run of form really kicked off once he'd already been tapped on the shoulder and shopped around. We were all pretty happy to see the back of him, and then suddenly he was playing the house down. If Guys like DSaf and Fitz offered their best to us week in, week out for good portions of their careers - then we wouldn't be having half of the conversations we have about our team.

Too many of our players get comfy and don't produce the best footy at the Knights. There's blokes like Josh King, Nick Meaney, Connor Watson, Beau Fermor and others out there having NRL careers too. None of them would have kicked on at the Knights. We're just not that good an environment.

Josh King and Nick Meaney may well be valued contributors to a premiership winning team this year.

I get what you say, but I also think maybe we are overlooking a key issue - with the exception of Fermor (who would have played exactly the same here, the talent was always there) the guys who leave and "kick on" go to clubs with good halves.

Coincidently, the clubs with "good cultures" have.... good halves.

It is all about the spine, and its no coincidence that the 4 clubs that have dominated the NRL era (Storm, Roosters, Panthers, Sea Eagles) have always had the best spines.

The blokes that have left and gone to Canberra haven't become world beaters (bar Tapine, who again was always going to be great).

Barney isn't really playing any better for the Warriors than he did for the majority of his time here, we just remember his last year here where he was really fat, and he was always dumb enough to wipe out chunks of seasons. He has calmed down as he got older - not got better.

So is it down to "we suck" or is it more.... playing with a good spine makes you look good.

Connor Watson on why he left the Knights and joined the Roosters - all too similar comments to Barny, Young, King, etc

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/376c2bf5fbb8fb37de23e3ad5eeac7cd
“I wanted to challenge myself and part of that is the expectations and reputation of the Roosters.

“You have got to come here and you have got to perform and play well here and you have to leave it all out there.

“I just felt like for me to take my career to the next level I needed a change of scenery and get out of my comfort zone and really challenge myself.

“I feel like this is the best place for me to come and take my game to the next level,” Watson said.

So is it down to "we suck" or is it more.... playing with a good spine makes you look good.
The management suck no doubt. A decade after taking over and hardly a junior to be sighted, those key spine players that were 14-16 yr old when Wests took over should be just about to hit their straps as 24-26 yr old NRL players by now.

No doubt AOB has a portion of blame on this one - he sets the culture within the playing group. He signaled long ago it was OK to phone it in and still get selected every week.

Knight Tales

Bench
Leo leaving after we have let a senior prop leave is peak us. Can someone get a person with legitimate influence into this place! Please. Leo is using D Saf’s departure to posture for more money: I do not believe a word of Riccio’s development narrative. He is making up BS.

Last edited:
Can someone please post the tele article ?

"As one of Newcastle's international stars considers heading to the open market, more fresh questions are raised over the Knights roster management overseen by CEO Phil Gardner."
ANALYSIS: bit.ly/4dtrnfr

Old dog

Bench
Connor Watson on why he left the Knights and joined the Roosters - all too similar comments to Barny, Young, King, etc

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...s/news-story/376c2bf5fbb8fb37de23e3ad5eeac7cd
“I wanted to challenge myself and part of that is the expectations and reputation of the Roosters.

“You have got to come here and you have got to perform and play well here and you have to leave it all out there.

“I just felt like for me to take my career to the next level I needed a change of scenery and get out of my comfort zone and really challenge myself.

“I feel like this is the best place for me to come and take my game to the next level,” Watson said.
So what did you expect to hear him say, these are words expected of new recruit wishing to justify his change

Scootsie

Juniors

Connor Watson talks a lot. Out of all current NRL players, he is the one the interviewers can’t shut up.
But in saying that, he’s right. Competition for spots at the Roosters is cutthroat Compared to the Knights.

So what did you expect to hear him say, these are words expected of new recruit wishing to justify his change
Just about anything other than what he said. Plenty say "it's a business and need to take care of my family blah blah

Same Barny, same Young, all said the same. Need to leave to take "my game to the next level", I "want to be chasing Premierships"

Don't worry it appears the Knights are red hot at recruitment and have the sales pitch perfect

perverse

Referee
https://www.espn.com.au/nrl/story/_...ti-only-willing-leave-newcastle-knights-terms

Sounds like DSaf isn’t as close to leaving as we’d hope.

Also Jeez, I know technically he doesn’t have to go anywhere if he doesn’t want to, but his comment about being on good coin makes me really angry.
Wow, what a stellar leader of the club. Wants a contract EXTENSION to move on. The hide of this f**ker, to bludge his arse off for years and then dig his heels in when told it's not good enough.

Woody90

Juniors
Wow, what a stellar leader of the club. Wants a contract EXTENSION to move on. The hide of this f**ker, to bludge his arse off for years and then dig his heels in when told it's not good enough.

He sounds really bitter, which is understandable, but also a huge turn from how he initially responded to it.

He sounds really entitled as well tbh. He’s also strongly implying that he doesn’t think the Dolphins are a good club, which is a horrible way to speak about a club willing to take a shot on you.

mozza91

Coach
Don’t think Watson has played any better this year than he did in his 1 uninjured year (2021 maybe?) for us. He just got the token, undeserved Origin Jersey they give to a Chooks player each year.

Meaney played 5 games for us which were pretty decent. Not gonna hang too much shit on the club for him not reaching his full potential here based on such a short stint.

King and Barney have definitely improved after moving on though. Fermor was always going to be a good player but got an ACL injury at the worst possible time.

Last edited:

Woody90

Juniors
Don’t think Watson has played any better this year than he did in his 1 uninjured year (2021 maybe?) for us. He just got the token, undeserved Origin Jersey they give to a Chooks player each year.

He hasn’t. The only Knights players/juniors that have left the club and improved significantly are the few at the Storm because Bellamy is a Wizard (but he does that with players from all over).

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Sorry but there is NFW that Turbo went to Manly and said “I’d like to pay you back $750K” that’s totally BS. Basically the media wanting to write a good story about one of their favourite players.

Players always say stuff like “I’d play for free” or “I’ll be at X club until I retire” blah blah blah but none of it means anything.

There’s literally no way that Turbo with his injury history is writing a cheque for $750K and handing it back to Manly. Absolutely ludicrous…

Reactions: Rod

Latest posts