What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured Targets 3

How do we know where the allocation of responsibility lies and how much authority Parr is given besides just speculation based on what Gardner was looking after before Parr’s arrival?
Multiple interviews with Gardner suggest he has a very hands on approach to the footy side of the business.

As with any business - the buck stops at the top, with how it is being managed = Gardner . How is the Knights being run after 10 years ? 8th in a competition of 17 - a skerrick above mediocrity.

Maybe I expect too much, I'd prefer to be playing in Grand Finals.

aqua_duck

Coach
Multiple interviews with Gardner suggest he has a very hands on approach to the footy side of the business.

As with any business - the buck stops at the top, with how it is being managed = Gardner . How is the Knights being run after 10 years ? 8th in a competition of 17 - a skerrick above mediocrity.

Again how does Gardner stepping aside change things dramatically? Parr or whoever is running football operations still needs to answer to the wests CEO.
I think you saying the buck stops with Gardner but then you wanting Gardner to be completely hands off is slightly contradictory.
I think perspective is important, look at the sides at the top, Melbourne, Penrith, Roosters in particular what they have and have had during their reign of success is strong infrastructure, it’s something we definitely did not have prior to the Wests take over and it’s taken time to build that infrastructure through a centre of excellence, improved scouting networks, improved commercial viability, etc.

mozza91

Coach

It’s not Gardner’s fault. The blame lies entirely with Adam Elliot.

I think you saying the buck stops with Gardner but then you wanting Gardner to be completely hands off is slightly contradictory.
You'll have to be a little more clear on this.

He's responsible .......wanting him to be hands off ...... contradictory?

I think perspective is important, look at the sides at the top, Melbourne, Penrith, Roosters in particular what they have and have had during their reign of success is strong infrastructure, it’s something we definitely did not have prior to the Wests take over and it’s taken time to build that infrastructure through a centre of excellence, improved scouting networks, improved commercial viability, etc.
So given the current rate of progress the trajectory suggests a Premiership in 2034 ? ok nice

I think perspective is important- Bulldogs were wooden spooners in 2021. They've made great progress with a pro steering the ship. 3 x Premiers Panthers were almost insolvent in 2011.

Old dog

Bench
Im still horrified that Maps is on more than Thompson, Gamble, Marzhew and Crossland.
I have no idea of the amounts players are on but surely a bloke, Maps can’t have been paid more than those four mentioned, the only saving grace is that his departure will free a larger amount of cap than originally thought.
Hopefully his savings will be paid in upgrades to those four who are big effort players

Woody90

Juniors
Surely those four were on as much if not more than 300k, hard to believe.

There was a lot of talk last year that Crossland and Gamble were on minimum wage and the figures were in the 200s. We also signed Marzhew for minimum wage (although he signed a new contract last year so might be on more now). Brent Reed also said recently Leo’s only on around 250k and he seems to have ins at the club.

Apey

Staff member
I understand the others being on lower amounts. Crossland is a local cheapie. Thompson extended with us to the end of 2025 after a few months of first grade, Leo might be on a little more in 2025 you'd think, and he's hopefully about to re-sign on an upgraded contract anyway. Gamble was pretty much unwanted, and Marzhew was unwanted at the Titans signed as part of a swap with Randall. He would probably be on more now since as was mentioned, he has re-signed with us since.

I don't understand why Maps would be on 300k though. Even nicer we're moving him on.

Yosh

Coach
I'm so glad we are clearing the place out immediately. Good to see O'Sullivan getting to work immediately.

Gus Gould keeps pointing out there will be a lot of moves this off season. I keep thinking he is referring to us for some reason.

aqua_duck

Coach
You'll have to be a little more clear on this.

He's responsible .......wanting him to be hands off ...... contradictory?

So given the current rate of progress the trajectory suggests a Premiership in 2034 ? ok nice

I think perspective is important- Bulldogs were wooden spooners in 2021. They've made great progress with a pro steering the ship. 3 x Premiers Panthers were almost insolvent in 2011.
So do you want Gardner to be responsible or not responsible for the results of the club?

you still haven’t answered my question of what changes exactly for Parr if Gardner retires tomorrow?

With respect to the bulldogs, they’ve had one good season where they crashed out first week of the finals, how’s that any different to us in 2020 where we finished 7th after being wooden spooners in 2017? Making the top 8 isn’t that hard as we have shown, there’s a big difference between that and having sustained success like the storm, panthers and roosters have.
On the topic of the bulldogs it’s very hard to compare them to us, it’s a completely different structure, for Wests the knights are part of the business where commercial and financial KPIs exist, the Bulldogs survive solely because they have a very successful leagues club that literally gives them $8-10 million every year, Gus essentially has the same job as Peter Parr (general manager of football) but doesn’t have any financial checks and balances that any sustainable business would otherwise have.
Mind you Gus still answers to Adam Driussi who’s the chairman the same as Parr answers to Gardner.

Haffa

With respect to the bulldogs, they’ve had one good season where they crashed out first week of the finals, how’s that any different to us in 2020 where we finished 7th after being wooden spooners in 2017? Making the top 8 isn’t that hard as we have shown, there’s a big difference between that and having sustained success like the storm, panthers and roosters have.
On the topic of the bulldogs it’s very hard to compare them to us, it’s a completely different structure, for Wests the knights are part of the business where commercial and financial KPIs exist, the Bulldogs survive solely because they have a very successful leagues club that literally gives them $8-10 million every year, Gus essentially has the same job as Peter Parr (general manager of football) but doesn’t have any financial checks and balances that any sustainable business would otherwise have.
Mind you Gus still answers to Adam Driussi who’s the chairman the same as Parr answers to Gardner.
Having Arthur Laundy involved helps them more than most people realise.