What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

perverse

Referee
So... more forwards it is, then. At least Weyman still has quite a few years ahead of him, and is entering his "prime" as far as ages for props goes these days. My only qualm would be is that he is tragically injury prone over the entirety of his career.

Also head like a f**king orange.

doggone

Juniors
Starting to wonder if Bennett can win without having to create a team with ex St George players. We have a few good local boys coming through.

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Very happy to hear that this is a chance of happening. I think a change of clubs will help Weyman. He hasn't played a great deal of games over his career so in football terms he's still relatively young. We are urgently a prop short so I'd be stoked if we land him.

Burwood

Bench
Yep- he's a genuine prop, not some converted back rower filling a gap for a while. We desperately need someone like that to help Snowden each week.

I was quietly wondering whether Weyman is a sign of defeat in trying to keep Korbin. A quality prop like Weyman with Mase and Snowy already signed on is hardly going to excite Korbin regarding his prospects of becoming a starter.

rnb11

Juniors
The Sunday paper was saying Korbin would re-sign this week, don't know what's happening with that but all signs say he'll be re-signing still.

I'm not sure if I want Weyman, next year we'll have Snowy, Mason, Rochow, Scott, Sims, Smith, Houston, Fa'alogo, McKinnon, Cuthbertson and that's presuming guys like Costigan and Hilder get released, how would we fit him in with only 8 forward positions available.

Rod

Bench
As usual with signings like this how good it is mainly depends on what we'd be paying him. Mason was close to the buy of the year last year purely because of how little we were paying him. If we're not paying him too much I don't mind the Weyman signing since he'll provide another very decent prop option, which we probably still need even though our pack is coming along nicely.

Not that I really have any idea but I assume we still have a bit of cap space to throw around? With quite a few leaving I still have faith we can use it to re-sign Korbin, even after this supposed Weyman signing.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
So Rod, I guess the question is what would people be willing to pay him? I reckon up to 300K would be as high as I would go. With his injury history, I wouldn't want to go much higher than that.

rnb11

Juniors
I don't think the problem with Korbin is money, we've already offered him a revised, huge deal, we definitely have cap space and we're doing everything we can to re-sign him, but if it's true the Cowboys are letting go of players to at least match our offer and the draw of playing alongside his brothers is there, there's not much else we can do. If we do end up losing Korbin which I don't think will happen, then I'll be happy to sign Weyman just for his experience and influence on our younger props. We have guys like Toka Likiliki, Mitch Frei, Dylan Smith, Ben Tupou, Pat Vaivai and even the forgotten man Zane Tetevano who've been very impressive at times this year and will be calling for first grade next year.

slotmachine

First Grade
Good point on picking up Weyman as a mentor rnb11.

He went OK last night. I think 250k would be fair, basically taking Cositgan's money.

Weyman s###s on Poore as a signing. Bullet dodged. Have zero doubt he will be worth every cent under Bennett. Interesting to see if it is two or three years we are offering. Our offer is better than st George's by some margin. Closer to 300 k. He has top honours at rep level after all. At only 28 he has his best ahead. I have said it before but props are at their best from 30 years onwards in my view.
They become more cerebral if that is a fair comment. They run better lines and know where to punch holes in the line as a tactical measure. Younger props tend to just run hard and get bashed repeatedly. All well and good but they wear themselves out quick and are less effective.

Last edited:

slotmachine

First Grade
I see that bandied around a lot but IMO the best props in the game currently are Scott, Tamou and Fafita.

27, 24 and 23.

K-Man

Bench
I don't think the problem with Korbin is money, we've already offered him a revised, huge deal, we definitely have cap space and we're doing everything we can to re-sign him, but if it's true the Cowboys are letting go of players to at least match our offer and the draw of playing alongside his brothers is there, there's not much else we can do. If we do end up losing Korbin which I don't think will happen, then I'll be happy to sign Weyman just for his experience and influence on our younger props. We have guys like Toka Likiliki, Mitch Frei, Dylan Smith, Ben Tupou, Pat Vaivai and even the forgotten man Zane Tetevano who've been very impressive at times this year and will be calling for first grade next year.

Just on Tetevano, his defence is still absolutely atrocious. I've watched him closely a few times this year becuase he's monstering teams in attack and getting a lot of (deserved) accolades for it. He's easily out most effective NSW Cup forward and makes Houston, Costigan, Frei, Likiliki etc look second rate.

BUT he simply has no defensive steel. It pretty much gets ignored, but some games the only tries we concede can be directly attributed to Tetevano's soft goal line defence. One-out runs, dummy half dive overs, not wrapping up the ball... that kind of stuff. It's so far below par that I just couldn't pick him in first grade, ever. I'm not sure he will ever have a real first grade career unless it's mental and someone fires him up to defend with the intensity he attacks with. Such a shame because if it was all about ball carrying he'd be in my top 17 already.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts