What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumoured targets thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanG

Coach
Just heard this on The Game Plan's Late Mail segment:

Shake Up at Newcastle: Hilder, Tahu and Costigan wont be re-signed

Joker's Wild

Coach
Waltzing will take a reduced contract or retire IMO. I get the impression the bloke is settled in Newie and is already thinking about his after footy career as a moto mechanic

Noname36

First Grade
anyone think Wayne would move to sign Marshall should he leave Tigers?

I doubt it. Given our interest in Eastwood and co I'm sure Wayne is aware we need another quality prop and potentially a hooker. I doubt he'd want to throw every cent we have and then some at another 5/8 that we have no need for.

Last edited:

Allstar Knights

Juniors
We need a good attacking backrower too, as our current ones hit the line like a wet fart. I wouldn't mind getting a guy like Anthony Tupou or Tom Symonds, both off contract and are strong ball runners who will threaten the line. They should come reasonably cheap, too.

Silent Knight

First Grade
Costigan - good riddance. He never amounted to what I thought he could be for us (ie a rampaging, aggressive metre eater like he was at the Dragons in 2010).

Tahu - I've always loved the bloke, even when he went off the rails. I knew all along that none of his woes would have come to pass if he stayed loyal with us after 2004. Sydney can do that to a young bloke. But it was good to see him come home after a long and essentially fruitless time spent in Sydney at Parra, Penriff and the Waratahs.

I was at the game where he slam dunked the goalpost. Damn he was electric back then and he knew how to work the crowd. He'd score a hattrick and 20000 fans would be chanting TAAAA-HOOOO. But I feel his time is drawing near. I hope he retires and the Knights organise a special tribute on Old Boys Day for him before we smash the abortion of a club that stole him from us. Tahu always has been a NEWCASTLE legend.

Hilder - I felt that Waltzing would have been a mainstay in our squad at least for the 2012 season before Jeremy Smith arrived. His best position was lock and he was definitely in the Billy Peden mould in that he never did anything flashy but always put in the hard yards, did all the work that no one else would have noticed and racked up a mountain of tackles each match.

I thought he would have been an ideal player for Bennett, but instead of playing Matty to his strengths at lock Wayne tried to convert him into a bench hooker which simply didn't work. You can't really say a player like Costigan was more deserving of the lock position than a reliable, committed and typically error-free player like Hilder.

Anyway I'll always remember Matty as the player who never stopped giving 100% for us even when the nuffies around him didn't pull their weight. We would have lost a lot more games in the Stone years if Hilder wasn't out there tackling everything that moved.

Hilder - I felt that Waltzing would have been a mainstay in our squad at least for the 2012 season before Jeremy Smith arrived. His best position was lock and he was definitely in the Billy Peden mould in that he never did anything flashy but always put in the hard yards, did all the work that no one else would have noticed and racked up a mountain of tackles each match.

Word was that Hilder had a few personal issues that didn't make it easy for him in 2012. I would have liked to see get back to some form this year and apparently he has been doing well in NSW Cup. I agree he is much better at Lock.

I reckon we need to remember Hilder for the consistency and effort he gave us when he was in form. He has had a massive contribution to the club over the years.

This is sounding like an obituary. Hope he can get a spot in 1sts for a few games and go out with a bang this year.

Hard to see Houston forcing his way back in should Fa'alago prove he is a starter in the back row. Smith and Scott pick themselves. Tom Symonds is impressive. He would be a great signing but he is primarily a backrower i think. We have enough of them but i would not ge annoyed if we signed him. You just gwt the feeling Wayne is going to line up a marquee by clearing the decks. I live in hope it is Kasiano only based on his silence when asked if he wants out at the dogs.. I understand he was opting us over the Dogs in 2012 but we pulled the deal over fitness concerns.

Noname36

First Grade
Symonds would be a great pickup. Some of his relatives live in Lake Macquarie too so we could have a shot at enticing him here with Bennett.

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Hard to see Houston forcing his way back in should Fa'alago prove he is a starter in the back row. Smith and Scott pick themselves. Tom Symonds is impressive. He would be a great signing but he is primarily a backrower i think. We have enough of them but i would not ge annoyed if we signed him. You just gwt the feeling Wayne is going to line up a marquee by clearing the decks. I live in hope it is Kasiano only based on his silence when asked if he wants out at the dogs.. I understand he was opting us over the Dogs in 2012 but we pulled the deal over fitness concerns.

I'd love for Fa'alogo to make a good fist of the starting spot. Having Mason and Snowden leading from the front and then getting supported by Scoot, Smith and Fa'alogo would be a great site. The only issue is that our bench would lose some muscle. We'd really need Cuthbo, Mckinnon, Rochow and possibly Houston to step up and continue the good foundation that's been laid for them.

Allstar Knights

Juniors
Massive fan of Fa'alogo, he has a lot of J Smith in him. Strong defender, error free and willing to do the hard yards.

The only issue I have with our backrow is that they are all (bar McKinnon) best played at either lock or prop. None of them are particularly good at attacking on an edge and that makes our attack suffer a bit. I really like a starting backrow of Smith, Scott and Rochow, but we need a Tupou or Symonds to come on and make an impact.

Wish we had BK and Steve Simpson in their prime right now.

I asked this is another thread, but got no response.. Does anyone know how that Frei kid is going? When is he a chance to debut? He was highly regarded at the broncos and they were a bit annoyed we got him

Sorry guys. Completely overlooked Rochow! My bad. He has been great this year. Should Wayne opt for Dave to partner Beau and Jeremy in the backrow, Robbie would no doubt be a great impact player off the bench. Cuthbo gives great value, Sims is all class, and Clydesdale in the utility role as I honestly rhink he could cover the halves if needed. I don't get our bad losses given Sims and Cuthbo provide good yardage off the bench. Those Who rated Korbin the best of the very talented brothers may well be right in time. Hope so.

Last edited:

Whats Doing

Bench
I mentioned some time ago about that Glanville kid in the QCup. Played last night for the Broncs and played a top game and showed he is at the NRL level. Set up a try and saved another.

He is also very versatile and can play a number of positions.

What would b the point of that? We have mullen. Why would Wayne spend a quarter of our cap on 2 5/8s?

Firstly given Bennett's views on player values, The club would not pay the money for Benji you are suggesting. Secondly he would be perfect in the 7 for Mullen. Look it won't happen most likely but Bennett seems to help unhappy players become better people. After that their games improve.

Last edited:

Bring it home Knights

First Grade
Firstly given Bennett's views on player values, The club would not pay the money for Benji you are suggesting. Secondly he would be perfect in the 7 for Mullen. Look it won't happen most likely but Bennett seems to help unhappy players become better people. After that their games improve.

Playing Marshall at halfback? Are you for real? He plays halfback even worse then Mullen does.

Status
Not open for further replies.