What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff XXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

T.S Quint

Coach
the rumour is semi has quit the eels and hopped on a plane to go play rugby somewhere
what the club says is semi has been given time off to go to fiji for a week as we have a bye

Sounds like bullshit to me.
Unless Danny Weidler has reported on it. Then we are in trouble.

eels_fan

First Grade
Well, that's some confidence from Schuey.

I'm still completely against Hayne returning if it means losing Norman though. As great a player as Hayne was for our club, Corey has grown dramatically as a leader on the field in the past 18 months, and his best is ahead of him, not to say Hayne wouldn't come back as good as he left, but I think there is a lot to like of where Corey's game is headed.

eels_fan

First Grade
Cannot see anyway we fit Foran, Hayne & Norman into the same cap. Maybe if we had nuffies in all other positions, but not with Jennings, Semi, Beau etc

Avenger

Immortal
If any player needs to be sacrificed to accomodate the return of Hayne it should be Jennings. Good player, but not enough bang for your buck.

Bigfella

Coach
My next door neighbour's back gave him 4 compo claims in the 80's

Unlike the eels, he backed it up with several more in the 90s

caylo

Bench
And for Eels fans it's forever about the f**king backline. These days you only need a couple of star backs. It's really all about the forwards.

There is no one perfect formula to winning the comp. Yes you need a good pack but it doesn't have to be star stunned or full of hero's. All good teams are about team work, everyone playing their role. We beat superior packs like the dogs and Canberra through good line speed and grinding out wins. We lost games against Penrith, rabbits and cowboys because we didn't stick to our guns when under pressure and we didn't grind well.
Gordons lack of play making has hurt us in some tight games and he has had the odd bad game with reads in defence and errors. Hayne will make us that much more lethal I tight game and he will put you on the front foot with his safety positioning. I wouldn't have him at the expense of our halves who steer the ship very well. I wouldn't have him at the expense of Scott but I would loss guys like Jennings or Jnr (obviously gone).
In other words if you want an x-factor type player then he is the ultimate tbh but I wouldn't sacrifice core players for him which set the foundation of the club.

phantom eel

First Grade
Our backs gave us 4 comps in the 80's.
Nonsense, they wouldn't have given us anything if it wasn't for our vastly underrated but tough pack holding the middle.

The backs were the stars, but they couldn't do miracles behind a beaten forward pack. I can even remember Sharpie playing hooker for a game in 1986 and the pack winning five scrums against the feed against the then rep hooker Ben Elias! Our 80s forwards didn't get a lot of rep time, but they were rarely beaten.

You kidding? The Chairman was a member of a violent criminal gang and did 3 years for assaulting a bunch of merkins. With weapons too, not just his fists. I think most would class that as worse than Lodge...he took his second chance with both hands, there is no reason he can't help Lodge do exactly the same thing.

Well, stalking a couple of women telling them he's going to kill them, breaking into an apartment and belting its owner in front of his 9 year old son certainly comes close, don't you think? Add to that the good behaviour bond for a domestic incident.

Ma'u grew up on the wrong side of the street, and fell in with some f**kwits when he was a young man. His behaviour was awful, and there's no excuse for it. But.....many of the factors that contributed to his development are now different.

I'd really want to see some evidence of a fundamental change in Lodge's mindset and circumstances before he get his 4th chance. If being charged with domestic violence doesn't motivate someone to pull their head in, but instead inspires them to go on a overseas trip and terrorise other women, well........ I reckon that individual has no place on a football field. Last thing this sport and this country needs.

Gronk

Staff member
Status
Not open for further replies.