What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
Rein has asked for an immediate release to join the Eels
Really? Hard to believe. Why didn't we chase him originally if this is the case. Doubt if money bags Gould (you know the one that says our cap -sombrero-is full but then signs Rein and another few players) will let him go, who is their backup if Wallace goes down? Has Rein improved at all or an average NRL dh playing in a lower grade? I mean Sandow looked like a world beater playing with Wenty.

wonder if Issac Moses wished he had waited a little longer to get Brooks to re-sign?
Now the other 3 are gone he could have asked for more for Brooks as they have the space or even would Brooks want to stay knowing the other 3 would be going.?

Incorrect

Coach
Agreed 100%. But I have no doubt his manager has told him to play it out in the media. Isaac Moses is either going to take the tigers to the cleaners or pull the team apart. The merkin is a merkin. Nothing worse then seeing a struggling team continually be the laughing stock. We should know more then anyone.
It really does make you shake your head... 4 weeks ago, they sack Jason Taylor and Tigers fans and the Big 4 breathed a collective sigh of relief... it was supposed to herald a new beginning with a well credentialled coch like Cleary and the re-signing of Tedesco, Woods and Moses was a fait accompli now that the the bloke who couldn't coach was gone.... But no, Woods and Co decide to f**k off regardless and somehow make a shit sandwich taste even worse than it did in the first place...

Chipmunk

Coach
Junior football should be taken over by NRL and establish a draft system based on where NRL club finished (similar AFL). Maybe clubs could pay a fee to NRL for every junior they get to help reimburse costs.

Now I will firstly pre-face my comment by saying that I don't disagree with your concept, but do you think given the structure and historical aspects of the sport and how it is run, particularly in NSW, do you think that the NRL taking over junior development would be easy to do and would it cost more than it already does now?

Glenneel

Bench
Hey hey hey, wait a minute. Did I see one page back that SKD was on his way to Newcastle? So its a like for like replacement....

Geez, Nathan Brown had undone some of his good work if he has agreed to take SKD. Merkin has worse hands than Matthew Wade and Peni Terepo combined!
His hands are ok its just the dumb decisions and plays he does about 3 or 4 times every game. He is good to gift the opposition one try per game and then throw passes to his imaginary friend to give his coach, team mates and supporters a heart attack every game. That's why rorters don't have many supporters..........or old ones at least.

Glenneel

Bench
Now I will firstly pre-face my comment by saying that I don't disagree with your concept, but do you think given the structure and historical aspects of the sport and how it is run, particularly in NSW, do you think that the NRL taking over junior development would be easy to do and would it cost more than it already does now?
I cannot answer your question but with juniors its not a level playing field. Both Parra and Penrith pay huge amounts to train juniors who then get poached by other clubs and we and Penrith don't receive any reimbursement. Souths don't even have any juniors so pay nothing.
Its well known that many juniors join Parras system to be well trained with no intention to play for club afterwards. Its not fair on those clubs committing millions to their juniors.

Johnny88

Juniors
This is doing the rounds.
C95T8a-UMAEWkww.jpg

Glenneel

Bench
Tolman is a BA type player too. Tough as nails, gives everything he has in the tank every week, makes metres and stops merkins in defence. Plus he actually has a bit of ball playing about him.

I'd have him in a heartbeat, I really rate the guy.
Tolman pffft! Plays long mins but one dimensional player, we have a multitude of those players so a big NO!!!!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
When was the last Mannah played 50 mins consistently?
But he doesn't have to, because we have middle forwards as good (and now better, with Brown). As the tackles per minute numbers show, you can get greater workrate from a player by giving him fewer minutes (so he doesn't have to pace himself). The corollary is that by playing longer minutes a player's work rate must necessarily decrease so he can last the distance. There is no reason for Mannah to play long minutes so he may as well hook in while he's out there. This benefits us more anyway.

Djay

Juniors
The priority now must be targeting another prop assuming Evans has signed. Graham would be ideal.
Would take Graham in a heart beat exactly what we need, even Klemmer.

Lichaa I also think could be good for us under BA hope we raid the Dogs, would be great!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
They may be yet to prove it but I think you will find Vave and Matagi were bought to be those line benders you seek.
Vave absolutely bends the line, and it is reflected in the stats. Metres per carry (9.95) and runs per minute (0.33) are at the elite level. The problem is that he is having to work far too hard in defence (0.64 tackles per minute) which limits his minutes (and therefore his carries per game).

Gronk

Staff member

Lichaa I also think could be good for us under BA hope we raid the Dogs, would be great!
I reckon Josh Reynolds would be a great hooker.

I know that the Sharks want him, but where would they play him ? Not re-sign Chad Townsend ?

BoneyBlake17

Juniors
Well you have to laugh at the warriors CEO Jim Doyle he has come out and said there is no deal with foran with the dogs and that kieran has told him personally there isn't. And realene has texted him there isn't.

Stop living in fairly land Jimmy boy kieran has done this before.

When he was at manly. He signed with parramatta but kept telling manly he might stay and toovey was on 360 adamant foran hadn't made a decision but had really signed for parra in that previous off season.

Anyway foran has showed his true colours in the past couple of years that the toughness he shows on the footy field is the opposite to off the field and parramatta, manly and now warriors have no respect for him anyway and most of the league are over him.

Glenneel

Bench
Spot on, people bang on about Matagi etc, he is no where near as damaging as what Junior was, people forget how big of a loss he really was. It is showing now, our prop rotation is simply not good enough in my eyes and we don't get enough big minutes out of any of them.

Tolman is a toiler, he straightens up the attack but does by no means bend the line we have enough of them in our team.

We need some heavyweight forwards who attract more defenders then most.

You have to remember Matagi is about 14-20kg lighter than Junior. Junior plays at well over 120kg these days and I don't think it has done him any good. But he was our best junior prop we've produced for many a year and RS poached him off us.
Yes agree, and I have been banging on about this for a many years now, we need bigger, skilful, middle forwards. Even against Tigs their bigger forwards made plenty of ground even with 2 or 3 of our guys hanging off them, and they got the ball away too many times. I believe this is why we drop off at the back end of each half, our forwards become fatigued playing against bigger forwards all the time.
Kikau from Penriff would have been ideal but they, even tho they had no sombrero left according the god, er Gus, re-signed him.
Maybe we should look at some of the under-rated guys. Latu? (also Panthers) was let go by Storm but look at him. He's big and has wonderful ball playing skills, sometimes you find diamonds on the scrap heap or they mature slower. Luck of the draw but they are out there.

Djay

Juniors

No no no no no no.

I am so over reading this idea.

He would be okay in attack but defensively he is absolutely awful, his a turnstile and will not
do the work required at hooker.

We are Parramatta not the Storm we can't be risking big dollars like he wants to play a position his hardly played. Let's be real FFS.

We can't afford for these risky experiments to fail.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
So the two best teams in the competition at controlling the play the ball and who were also the two best teams in the comp last season and also played in the Grand Final last year have only 1 player in the top 20 and 6 in the top 40 between them.

What this tell us is that this is just a stat for the sake of having a stat and has no bearing on a teams ability to win football games
What it means is that I didn't include middle forwards from every club, particularly the unheralded ones. The main takeaways from the list is that Junior Paulo's defensive involvement is far below that of the genuine elite middle forwards. He is a defensive liability. Guys like Tamou, JWH, Fifita and Shannon Boyd are not. That's why they play for genuine rep teams.

Latest posts