What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
I keep saying it, but Kasiano is the player we should be targeting. The Storm are smarter recruiters then us though and are on the verge of nabbing him it would seem.

Surely though it would be easier for us to sign him if we offered somewhere around the same amount, if not a little less, seeing he wouldn't need to uproot himself and go to a totally different city, away from friends and family.

We will always be a yoyo team as far as win/loss goes until we get some size about us. It is a no brainer.

BA goes on about momentum, but you need to dominate to gain that momentum against the better teams. You can't do that week in, week out when you are getting smashed by monster packs. It takes its toll.

Rule 101 of rugby league, big forwards are king.

miatch

Juniors
Vaughan was another player that it appears BA didn't make a play for. He is worth much more money than St Geo are paying him now. Bet RS would love him back, their 2 props must be well off the pace getting beat by Newcastle. Incidentally Newcastle don't turn up their toes when the going gets tough, which is all the time. They play their guts out every match and jag a win every so often.
Sorry mate, you're wrong re BA and Vaughn. St George paid 700k for a player who couldn't even make the bench at his last club. He was basically signed to us before St G came in with a much higher offer. PV apologized to us for not coming through, but obviously the Eels management understood.

Great move by St G in hindsight but it was silly money at the time.

Last edited:

strider

Post Whore
We absolutely were interested in Vaughan and tabled him in a very reasonable offer. The Dragons trumped our offer significantly and took a huge gamble on him (remember he was stuck in reggies in 2016 and there were some whispers of potential character issues from Canberra fans at one point) with the money they stumped up. It ended up as a great investment but it could have easily blown up in their faces.

Putting aside what we know of his 2017 form and casting your memories back to the end of 2016 where we he was stuck in reggies and we had just broken a hellish cap-cycle, what would everyone have been comfortable offering him?
yeah - its so easy to sit back and go ... f**k us we should have got him, him and him - damnit we suck ... but none of us know the real details

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I keep saying it, but Kasiano is the player we should be targeting. The Storm are smarter recruiters then us though and are on the verge of nabbing him it would seem.

Surely though it would be easier for us to sign him if we offered somewhere around the same amount, if not a little less, seeing he wouldn't need to uproot himself and go to a totally different city, away from friends and family.

We will always be a yoyo team as far as win/loss goes until we get some size about us. It is a no brainer.

BA goes on about momentum, but you need to dominate to gain that momentum against the better teams. You can't do that week in, week out when you are getting smashed by monster packs. It takes its toll.

Storm have lost 2 starting forwards for next year, they are more desperate then us for fowards and probably more willing to offer a lot more.

strider

Post Whore

I'll be honest - I reckon kasiano is a risk of going to poo at another club .... he loves the dogs and it might mess with his head going elsewhere ...... however melbourne/bellamy seem to manage to get the best out of everyone, so tbh I reckon thats his best bet to remain a good player

I also don't think you could carry both Vave and Kasiano in the same 17

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Some think BA isnt looking at improving our squad but I am sure he is looking at all the options available, let's not forget we weren't even linked to Moses until the deal was pretty much done!!

Snoochies

First Grade
McIlwrick keeps stripes

Tigers hooker Matt McIlwrick has attracted some interest from Parramatta for next season, but it looks like he's about to sign a new deal to remain at the joint venture. McIlwrick was originally signed as a back-up option to Matt Ballin but his impressive start to the season means he's now the club's No.1 hooking option. The club also has a huge opinion of youngster Jacob Liddle, who appears to be close to finalising a contract extension.

Beau in slo-mo

It's no secret veteran Beau Scott has struggled for the Eels this season, hence why he had been dropped to the bench. When he was left out of the Parramatta side for the clash against the Roosters on Sunday, the conspiracy theories went into overdrive. However we've been told the back-rower lost four kilograms through illness in the lead-up to the game. Scott still has another year to run but given the lucrative contract he signed, he won't be going anywhere.
http://www.brisbanetimes.com.au/rug...he-jarryd-hayne-sideshow-20170516-gw5u1i.html

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Oh the dragons, yeah they are so great at recruiting, they just lost a starting prop and about to lose their best back !!

Wonder what quality replacements they have for those two ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Forwards like Kasiano are useless when the opposition has all the ball.

Gronk

Staff member

No.

XL3xzZqOdk6Ji.gif

Bazal

Post Whore
I think his done an excellent job, 3 hard nut forwards and 1 similar back (Reynolds) done all in about 1 month.

What has BA done so far this year, Moses and Evans? For me the jury's out on both players. We need more hard nut and bigger players in our pack so why is BA conserving the pennies? Does he know of a few good players coming onto the market next year?

He's trying to get Peats or Lichaa (yuck, but whatever). Plus they are working on Semi to come straight back after his one year deal (and rumours are working on him to backflip entirely but I'm not sure how true that is).

Plus there are plenty of approaches that we never find out about, and we don't yet know what's going to happen with the Dogs. We lack a 6 and a 9. He is chasing the better 6s and 9s on the market and has landed one of them with plenty of rumours the other will also sign....

RazorRam0n

Juniors
Sorry mate, you're wrong re BA and Vaughn. St George paid 700k for a player who couldn't even make the bench at his last club. He was basically signed to us before St G came in with a much higher offer. PV apologized to us for not coming through, but obviously the Eels management understood.

Great move by St G in hindsight but it was silly money at the time.

very hard to justify paying more for a player who was replaced by a player you let go (paulo) signed for less and you refused to pay that.

Bazal

Post Whore
Vaughan was another player that it appears BA didn't make a play for. He is worth much more money than St Geo are paying him now. Bet RS would love him back, their 2 props must be well off the pace getting beat by Newcastle. Incidentally Newcastle don't turn up their toes when the going gets tough, which is all the time. They play their guts out every match and jag a win every so often.

BA did make a play, but he wasn't willing to spend the big money that the Dragons were on a bloke who was dropped for severe attitude and behavioural issues.

Sorry Twizz....RUMOURED to be dropped for those reasons.

I wonder if any other recruiting we need/want to do is being held up due to waiting on answer from a hooker we have made a offer too?
Hope the said hooker makes a decision soon so we can move on and know our cap space so we can target a big booper.

Bazal

Post Whore
they won't lose klemm because they brought in woods for their bromance

graham - maybe
kas - no
tolman - no
eastwood - no
elliot - yes, out of contract too
fualalo - maybe
faitala mariner - yes locked for 3 years, they won't let him go

Yes to Tolman and Elliott. Graham will be too expensive. Kasiano on the right money. No to everyone else, plus Fualalo just re-signed