What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
So the Tigers would never release Moses before end 2017. They have a run towards the 2016 semis and he's on fire. Dream on.

The only way you can get him is for 2018.

Well unless we can pickup a top notch half I wouldn't bother signing anyone at more then 2-300k value. We aren't going to win any premierships with this team next year so why tie up good money for a so and so half that is asking for more then that.

As for fullback for next year, dream on those that think Bevan French is going to make it there defensively for at least another 2-3 years if ever. The guy can run and has great anticipation and hand eye coordination, but as for the other 50% of the game, defense, he is still at best of reserve grader standard.

Also if we lose Semi, which is very possible, then we will need more muscle from the back not less.

Dibs

Bench
RLW47 has a way with words doesn't he MJC?

I wish I could be as awesome as he is when I grow up..
It's all about educating yourself Ash. Growing up will help, but its all about educating yourself. Watch a few games read up on some stats because it's all about educating yourself.

84 Baby

Referee
Off contract end 2016

FIVE-EIGHTH
Josh Cleeland, Kieran Foran, Blake Green, Ben Hampton, Nicholas Hynes, Samisoni Langi, Jack Littlejohn, Benji Marshall, Daniel Mortimer, Kodi Nikorima, Shaun Nona, Corey Norman, Will Smith, Jamie Soward

HALFBACK
Mitch Cornish, Tyler Cornish, Brodie Croft, Cooper Cronk, Cameron Cullen, Josh Drinkwater, Pita Godinet, Mafoa'aeata Hingano, Isaac John, Luke Kelly, Darren Nicholls, Jeff Robson, Harry Siejka, Riley Travers, Sam Williams

Off contract end 2017

FIVE-EIGHTH
Blake Ayshford, Jack Bird, Erin Clark, Lachlan Croker, Wade Graham, Andrew Heffernan, Drew Hutchison, Brock Lamb, Ryan Matterson, Mitchell Moses, Will Pearsall, Josh Reynolds, Nathaniel Roache, John Sutton, Ray Thompson, Chad Townsend, Connor Watson

HALFBACK
Luke Brooks, Fa'amanu Brown, Zach Dockar-Clay, Jaelen Feeney, Jackson Hastings, Ben Hunt, Shaun Johnson, Kyle Laybutt, Mason Lino, Josh McCrone, Anthony Milford, Charnze Nicoll-Klokstad, Mitchell Pearce, Jordan Rankin, Adam Reynolds, Tyrone Roberts, Ashley Taylor, Johnathan Thurston, Gareth Widdop
First call to Cronk asking what it's going to take
2nd call to Lolohea (he's off contract yeah?)
3rd call perhaps to Hastings
Other than that it'll probably be a stop gap measure for 2017 waiting as there is some good players available after next year.
Except Hastings, none of those 2017 players are likely to leave their clubs early

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well unless we can pickup a top notch half I wouldn't bother signing anyone at more then 2-300k value. We aren't going to win any premierships with this team next year so why tie up good money for a so and so half that is asking for more then that.

As for fullback for next year, dream on those that think Bevan French is going to make it there defensively for at least another 2-3 years if ever. The guy can run and has great anticipation and hand eye coordination, but as for the other 50% of the game, defense, he is still at best of reserve grader standard.

Also if we lose Semi, which is very possible, then we will need more muscle from the back not less.
Defensively he just needs to be able to tackle one-on-one and cover kicks. He can already do that. On the wing more is required in the contact side of defence as they're often isolated close to their tryline, so just making the tackle isn't enough if he gets dragged over the tryline. Fullbacks aren't isolated that way on their line or against the bomb.

ash411

Bench

Why would we lose Semi?

Apart from the court case (he's not likely to be found guilty of that), any dramas there have been mostly media beat ups, and most of that stemmed around money. No doubt Semi will get his upgrade, so he'll be a happy camper again.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Why would we lose Semi?

Apart from the court case (he's not likely to be found guilty of that), any dramas there have been mostly media beat ups, and most of that stemmed around money. No doubt Semi will get his upgrade, so he'll be a happy camper again.
I'd say his recent dummy spit was about not wanting to face the Aussie legal system too. Once that's over he will be much more inclined to take a contract extension.

84 Baby

Referee
100% but before anyone says it again, I wouldn't bother with Robson. Lolohea would be my choice for good price. He wouldn't chock up cap in the halves because he can play positions 1-6.

Defensively he just needs to be able to tackle one-on-one and cover kicks. He can already do that. On the wing more is required in the contact side of defence as they're often isolated close to their tryline, so just making the tackle isn't enough if he gets dragged over the tryline. Fullbacks aren't isolated that way on their line or against the bomb.
Bingo. Fullback defence is all about technique rather than strength

100% but before anyone says it again, I wouldn't bother with Robson. Lolohea would be my choice for good price. He wouldn't chock up cap in the halves because he can play positions 1-6.

Bingo. Fullback defence is all about technique rather than strength
Lolohea is contracted for 2017.

TheRam

Coach
I would be scouting for youth. The most creative dummy half in the lower grades, the most aggressive metre eater in the frontrow , with an offload if possible, and a great engine, would be a great start.

Or we can spend the money on average to good established NRL players, both can work, but getting the best young player is what I would be trying for. It also makes for better fan support.

We definitely could use a frontrower that can deliver a late offload or 5 during a game. That is what we have missed probably more then anything since Junior left. It is the most successful way to breakup a strong defensive teams structure. Jeez I hate Ricky for taking the best forward we have produced probably since who knows when.

Stevie

Bench
Here is my take on it guys. At the start of this year I would have said we really had a side able to compete for the premiership. I thought we'd be top 4 and as the year has unfolded I think there is little doubt if we kept all players healthy and at the club we would have, comfortably!

So with this I look to where we get that side back again. Here are the replacements needed for next year.

Foran---------> No replacement yet
Paulo---------> No replacement yet (rumoured to be Vave)
Peats---------> No replacement yet (No dominant #1 hooker)
Gordon looks to be Gutherson or French

Probably needed in that order.

Avenger

Immortal
I'd sign Mitchell Moses now for 2018. Give him a million a year. Plays on the right and is a future superstar.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I would be scouting for youth. The most creative dummy half in the lower grades, the most aggressive metre eater in the frontrow , with an offload if possible, and a great engine, would be a great start.

Or we can spend the money on average to good established NRL players, both can work, but getting the best young player is what I would be trying for. It also makes for better fan support.

We definitely could use a frontrower that can deliver a late offload or 5 during a game. That is what we have missed probably more then anything since Junior left. It is the most successful way to breakup a strong defensive teams structure. Jeez I hate Ricky for taking the best forward we have produced probably since who knows when.
Every club is scouting for these guys. That fact means there is less value in them than you'd think.

ash411

Bench
I'd sign Mitchell Moses now for 2018. Give him a million a year. Plays on the right and is a future superstar.
don't about that much, but not a bad idea in theory. He could be a long term signing if we can get him..I have the feeling though that the tigs will pull out all stops to hang on to him.

+1 how many "marquee" players have we bought in the last ten years that were failures due to injury, off field dramas or just being duds? foran, watmough, sandow, hopoate, etc etc etc to hell with everyone looking for a payday we want hard working players after an opportunity to prove themselves

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
don't about that much, but not a bad idea in theory. He could be a long term signing if we can get him..I have the feeling though that the tigs will pull out all stops to hang on to him.
There will be huge interest in him which will push his price pretty high. It's only his defence that might stop him getting top dollar.

ash411

Bench
+1 how many "marquee" players have we bought in the last ten years that were failures due to injury, off field dramas or just being duds? foran, watmough, sandow, hopoate, etc etc etc to hell with everyone looking for a payday we want hard working players after an opportunity to prove themselves
We've also bought our fair share of youngsters that were gonna be "the next big thing" that fizzled out too..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
This was a great read and one in which you amazed me with your ability to show us all how much of an egotistical, arrogant tossknob you are.

Thanks.
It was certainty written by someone with the knowledge of 30 years of Reading RLW behind them :thinking: