What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Chipmunk

Coach
Holy shit, how unprofessional do you allow players to be? I swear this is a culture exclusive to the Eels. You are being paid big money to perform, none of this touchy, feely "don't want to be here" shit should fly in the face of fans. What decent players have shown absolute loyalty to "wanting to be here" currently at the Eels? Anyone who accepts a contract and makes a joke of the Eels should be slammed by the fans not given a get out of jail free card.

The exact opposite situation is occurring at the Tigers with Robbie Farah. They want his money and he wants to stay. The Tigers will do anything to get hold of at least some of his salary cap money. It's ridiculous to suggest that the bloke the Tigers have playing in the 7, 9 14 this week are better options than Robbie Farah.

Loyalty works both ways. Clubs will f**k a player off as quick as look at them if they no longer want them.

Chipmunk

Coach
I was hoping we would offer cronk $800k-$900k plus TPA's and get him to sydney to be with his partner but either we didn't or he was already signed to the storm and only announced yesterday. But then again if he REALLY wants to move to sydney and wasn't just bumping up his asking price then we could still make that offer now and he could ask for a release on compassionate grounds. (I think Cronk is a man of his word and honor and wouldn't do that.)

I think the Cronk deal was done sometime ago and they were just working through the final details the last couple of months. We were never interested in Cronk and it was far too late to be bothering to express an interest yesterday.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I don't think we can get anyone for 2017 now, expect Robson is be signed for 1 year and we will chase someone hard for 2018.
Again another year wasted.
Robson for next year just isn't good enough, it's bad enough we have IDG for two more years. I'm sure we can snag a better option than him.

Dibs

Bench
If, for instance, we wanted to pay Thurston an amount of money that he decided was sufficient for him to want to leave the Cowboys (and it was all legit salary cap wise), then why would the Cowboys still want to pay a player 20% of their salary cap who didn't want to play for the club?

It's the same reason we let Foran go. He didn't want to be here and we didn't want to pay a bloke that much of our salary cap for a bloke that doesn't want to be here.

Exactly the same thing will happen to the Titans, if someone decides that The Plane is worth more to them than he is to the Gold Coast.
I think you are simplifying things. Take Jamie Lyon for example. Titans offered him huge money he asked manly for a release and they said no

hineyrulz

Post Whore
That wouldn't be a year wasted - so long as we sign a decent hooker for 2017. De Gois and Pritchard are good back ups, but are not first string spine choices.
Any year when we don't win a Comp should be seen as a wasted year, well that's what the top sides think anyway. But sadly this club is just happy to compete, 30 years of mediocrity will do that too you I suppose.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Y
Not having a go at you specifically, it seems a done this across the board.
"Yes he groped some women in public but give the kid a break". He's 23 FFS
or
"Yes he peed in his mouth so someone could post it online but it's not the kids go" He was 28

The media, fans, a heap of people do it to excuse poor behaviour.
Once you are 18 you are an adult. Grow up and deal with it. The rest of us don't get this free card to do whatever we want so they shouldn't either

And i will now just step back down from the soapbox and carry on with my day
yeah I agree, was more just using it as a term as he is younger then me.

Some players don't realise how good they have it!! Gee look at Carter as an example or Loko, throwing away massive dollars to be labourers !! Idiots!!

Robson for next year just isn't good enough, it's bad enough we have IDG for two more years. I'm sure we can snag a better option than him.
I would hope so, but again it's August (like when Hayne left in September 2014) most off contract players have settled their future and some who are on the outer at their current club are for a reason.
I don't think we are going to see the off season transfers we saw last last season again anytime soon.
Do we look to England for a half? or do we just say we will stick with Robson for a year and chase someone is off contract for 2018 hard.
Or do we set Pearce up with a dog on his front lawn and wait for nature to take it's coarse and nab him after the Roosters sack him.

caylo

Bench
Robson or Degois are good options on minimum salary and are exactly the type of players you want filling in for a couple of games rather then throwing a youngster who isn't ready into the deep end in a important position like hooker or halfback. I think Robson is better the Degois as a back up, he can easily fit into hooker or halves and while his in your face defence isn't as good as Degois his defence in general is as good and he has a neat kicking game.
We do need a first class option though and Carney, Segs are two that I would be going after. Throw in Vave and hopefully a couple of other big boppers we have a makings of a good side. Remember we have a couple of young halves who in two years may be as good as Elgey so there is no need to spend big dollars on getting a young player out of his current system when he really isn't proven

I also think Hayne's manager may have steered him away from us do the off field and board crap, who's to say other players managers aren't going to start doing the same.
I don't want to go back to days of paying way overs just to get someone to sign with us.

Swiftstylez

Bench
The exact opposite situation is occurring at the Tigers with Robbie Farah. They want his money and he wants to stay. The Tigers will do anything to get hold of at least some of his salary cap money. It's ridiculous to suggest that the bloke the Tigers have playing in the 7, 9 14 this week are better options than Robbie Farah.

Loyalty works both ways. Clubs will f**k a player off as quick as look at them if they no longer want them.

Yes, but for the duration of your contract you are being paid to do a job in a professional manner which means conducting yourself positively off the field and winning games on the field. Farah rallying against the coach is not professional.

Robson or Degois are good options on minimum salary and are exactly the type of players you want filling in for a couple of games rather then throwing a youngster who isn't ready into the deep end in a important position like hooker or halfback. I think Robson is better the Degois as a back up, he can easily fit into hooker or halves and while his in your face defence isn't as good as Degois his defence in general is as good and he has a neat kicking game.
We do need a first class option though and Carney, Segs are two that I would be going after. Throw in Vave and hopefully a couple of other big boppers we have a makings of a good side. Remember we have a couple of young halves who in two years may be as good as Elgey so there is no need to spend big dollars on getting a young player out of his current system when he really isn't proven
I guess if you are going to spend big money you need a proven performer, like a Reynolds who has won a GF and played origin. Well the smoke signals are saying we are after him.

Gronk

Staff member
I also think Hayne's manager may have steered him away from us do the off field and board crap, who's to say other players managers aren't going to start doing the same.
I don't want to go back to days of paying way overs just to get someone to sign with us.

Gee you're in a negative mood today. Have a cookie to cheer you up.

caylo

Bench
I guess if you are going to spend big money you need a proven performer, like a Reynolds who has won a GF and played origin. Well the smoke signals are saying we are after him.
Well to get someone like Elgey away from the titans you'd have to pay overs. I guess and same as the likes of Moses or Mbye and these guys are on 500k. For that price you may be able to get Carney who has a great all round game. He is a drop kick but he can't be worse then Sandow. Segs is a no brainer for me if Farah is off the market, he was Dally M hooker of the year and with 3 ball paying halves someone like French can just support and pop up where he wants

hindy111

Post Whore
Robson and De go is would be good signings....For wenty.

Roache from warriors would be great hooker option.

Halfback I'd sniff rnd Hastings or Pierce.
Wallace would of been an OK option but that's gone now.
Lulalai from warriors also option.

Mickyd39

Juniors
It would be great if some signings were announced today. It would be some good news leading into tonights game.

Chipmunk

Coach
I think you are simplifying things. Take Jamie Lyon for example. Titans offered him huge money he asked manly for a release and they said no

I'm guessing Lyon was happy to be at either place. If a player on big money wants to be somewhere else a club will let him go.

Latest posts