What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
"A tough family decision"?
Didnt The Duke promise that if Young Cleary wanted to leave to play with his Dad he would let him go?
Maybe Ivan feels Penrith is a better place for his young bloke to be?
Or maybe its the money. Silly Gazza.
Id be upset if I was a Tigpies player or supporter.
How come Gus hasnt chased BA I wonder?

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
If I was Ivan I would be a bit dirty on Gus for engineering this. To me it's bordering on emotional manipulation. Some might say that it's a genius strategic move, but I'm not so sure.

edit; I'm assuming that Hook was sacked for the purpose of being able to bring Ivan back and therefore keep Nathan. Maybe it's more simple than that and Griffin just really is a merkin.

Gronk

Staff member
If I was Ivan I would be a bit dirty on Gus for engineering this. To me it's bordering on emotional manipulation. Some might say that it's a genius strategic move, but I'm not so sure.

edit; I'm assuming that Hook was sacked for the purpose of being able to bring Ivan back and therefore keep Nathan. Maybe it's more simple than that and Griffin just really is a merkin.

Hook is on NRL360 tonight - unless the lawyers stop him.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Untenable. If BA survives the review, then next year he'll have a head of footy. If the board are dissatisfied with his results in 2019 then they get a new coach in 2020.

Last night on 2GB they were saying that if the coach merry-go-round happened (Cleary-Penrith, Bennett-Souths, Seibold-Broncos etc) that BA would get snapped up by Tigers or Manly. So as much as many here think that BA is a dud, there are other teams that apparently would like to have him. Sometimes it's hard to see the woods through the trees I guess.
2GB are full of shit, titty twister.

Dibs

Bench

Well he must have just turned merkin if that’s the case because Phil and the board were happy to extend him earlier in the year. Imo this is a play to make sure they don’t lose Nathan pure and simple

Gronk

Staff member
Talkin Sport just interviewed Ikin who had met with Griffin this morning to discuss what can be discussed tonight on NRL360. If Ikin can be believed, Griffin is livid with Gus and will set the record straight. Gus liar, liar pants on fire. Should be very interesting.

Apparently Gus tells all here. You listen to it though, I CBFd.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Which was...? Come on Gutful, give us a summary. I don't have ears so I can't listen to it myself.
He wanted Hook to stay for the whole season.

He had been working with Hook to give him the help he needs but Hook is 'old school' and wanted to manage everything himself

The rest of the exec (including the Chairman) wanted to hook Hook earlier in the season.

A review was conducted which reflected poorly on Hook. Despite this Gus still wanted to wait until the end of the season. He had been looking at options if they were to fire Hook but didn't have anything concrete lined up.

Unbeknownst to Gus, the Chairman (who is mates with Ivan Cleary) had a discussion with Ivan and raised the prosepect of Cleary returning 'in the future' (i.e. Not next year, but maybe when Cleary's contract with the Tigs expires). Cleary said he would raise it with the Tigers Board.

Gus then explained to the Chairman that this isn't fair on Hook and will place extra pressure on him and was then instructed to terminate his services.

Now that I have written it out there are a couple of things that Gus has said that might be stretching the truth.

Latest posts