What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
He wanted Hook to stay for the whole season.

He had been working with Hook to give him the help he needs but Hook is 'old school' and wanted to manage everything himself

The rest of the exec (including the Chairman) wanted to hook Hook earlier in the season.

A review was conducted which reflected poorly on Hook. Despite this Gus still wanted to wait until the end of the season. He had been looking at options if they were to fire Hook but didn't have anything concrete lined up.

Unbeknownst to Gus, the Chairman (who is mates with Ivan Cleary) had a discussion with Ivan and raised the prosepect of Cleary returning 'in the future' (i.e. Not next year, but maybe when Cleary's contract with the Tigs expires). Cleary said he would raise it with the Tigers Board.

Gus then explained to the Chairman that this isn't fair on Hook and will place extra pressure on him and was then instructed to terminate his services.

Now that I have written it out there are a couple of things that Gus has said that might be stretching the truth.
Ok you go talk to him, but I know nothing about it.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Griffin pulling no punches. Basically just a breakdown in coaching philosophies between Gus and Griffin.

Gus probably bullshitting about the degree to which he was behind punting Griffin.

Griffin probably bullshittng about the degree to which he had the support of the players.

Both raise some good points though and it is a shame for the Panthers that they couldn’t work together as they are both smart merkins.

strider

Post Whore
Griffin handled that very well

From where im sitting ...
- Gus is a control freak
- there is obviously differences between 2 strong willed dudes
- Gus is desperate to keep Nathan
- Nathan is keen to play under his dad n vice versa
- getting Ivan is Gus' easiest way to solve that
- getting rid of Griffin now is easier than risking a successful end to the season and having to ditch him

strider

Post Whore
This should be a lesson to those of us who think BA needs a good GM of Football.

Unless you have two ego free people that can work collaboratively then it will never work.

A GM Football role, if not scoped properly can be ‘all care, no responsibility’.
Yeah .... though i reckon this is an extreme case .... Gus is no normal GM of Football - he controls the joint .... most GMs are employees on the same footing as the coach

Gronk

Staff member
Griffin handled that very well

From where im sitting ...
- Gus is a control freak
- there is obviously differences between 2 strong willed dudes
- Gus is desperate to keep Nathan
- Nathan is keen to play under his dad n vice versa
- getting Ivan is Gus' easiest way to solve that
- getting rid of Griffin now is easier than risking a successful end to the season and having to ditch him
Agree. In November Nathan can sign with another club. Gus and the board had to move swifty and this is the plan they hatched.

Sounds like a recipe for disaster to me. Having fired the coach once already, the GM who can't help meddling gets him back because he wants to keep a star player who is the coach's son?!
Edit: Oh, and the coach is already under contract for another couple of years at another club.

Last edited:

Latest posts