What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hineyrulz

Post Whore
The Panthers were hardly the mess that Griffin claimed when he arrived, the year before they made the top 4 and in 2016 they added Merrin and Tamou add in a stack of first grade ready juniors. He was dribbling like he arrived at Newcastle like Brown did.

Ben Hannant gave it to Hook deluxe yesterday as well, Brisbane players couldn’t wait to see the back of him. He’s hardly the innocent victim he is claiming to be.

Gronk

Staff member
The Panthers were hardly the mess that Griffin claimed when he arrived, the year before they made the top 4 and in 2016 they added Merrin and Tamou add in a stack of first grade ready juniors. He was dribbling like he arrived at Newcastle like Brown did.

Ben Hannant gave it to Hook deluxe yesterday as well, Brisbane players couldn’t wait to see the back of him. He’s hardly the innocent victim he is claiming to be.

I don’t know what the truth is, but Hannant didn’t convince me all that much. They were hanging their hat on “he’s not the coach to win a premiership” however his current team seem to be very much on a premiership trajectory.

I still think the Nathan Cleary’s next contract played a significant part. Thinking about it, what BS was Gus’s comments in the past fortnight that he’d let his 7 walk if he wanted to play with his Dad. Whilst he was throwing out diversion bombs, he was hatching a plan to raid the WTigers.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Hannant actually played under Hook, Soward was hardly glowing in his praise. They were hardly on a premiership trajectory with Hook. There defence is still rubbish and they have been winning on ability alone. They are more of a chance this year with him gone.

Gronk

Staff member
Hannant actually played under Hook, Soward was hardly glowing in his praise. They were hardly on a premiership trajectory with Hook. There defence is still rubbish and they have been winning on ability alone. They are more of a chance this year with him gone.

Except that Gus said that this has got nothing to do with winning a premiership. Very confusing.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Except that Gus said that this has got nothing to do with winning a premiership. Very confusing.
Yep it’s a clusterf**k all round really, better them than us. But if they nab Cleary I can see the winning a Comp in the next year or two.

Gronk

Staff member
Yep it’s a clusterf**k all round really, better them than us. But if they nab Cleary I can see the winning a Comp in the next year or two.

All of a sudden the previously unemployed coach is the guy with the midas touch ? He really handled the Teddy / Woods thing poorly IMO and his team this year are hot n cold. So to say that the Panthers are in premiership frame if they sign him is unjustified IMO. Their own club sacked him in 2015 in knee-jerk circumstances.

Cleary took over at Penrith in 2012 after guiding the Warriors to the grand final the previous season.

He took the Panthers to the finals in 2014 and after upsetting the Roosters in the first weekend of the playoffs, went within one win of the grand final but were eliminated by Canterbury.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pe...ry-effective-immediately-20151019-gkcz3a.html

hineyrulz

Post Whore
All of a sudden the previously unemployed coach is the guy with the midas touch ? He really handled the Teddy / Woods thing poorly IMO and his team this year are hot n cold. So to say that the Panthers are in premiership frame if they sign him is unjustified IMO. Their own club sacked him in 2015 in knee-jerk circumstances.

Cleary took over at Penrith in 2012 after guiding the Warriors to the grand final the previous season.

He took the Panthers to the finals in 2014 and after upsetting the Roosters in the first weekend of the playoffs, went within one win of the grand final but were eliminated by Canterbury.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/pe...ry-effective-immediately-20151019-gkcz3a.html
You don’t think Cleary has done a decent job at the Tigers, I had them bottom 4 at best this year and 4 weeks from the Semis they are still a slim chance at making the finals. What would he do with a quality roster like Penriths???

They are more a chance with Cleary than they were with that Gumby Hook that’s for sure.

Gronk

Staff member
You don’t think Cleary has done a decent job at the Tigers, I had them bottom 4 at best this year and 4 weeks from the Semis they are still a slim chance at making the finals. What would he do with a quality roster like Penriths???

They are more a chance with Cleary than they were with that Gumby Hook that’s for sure.
Im yet to be convinced that Hook is a gumby. What has he done wrong?

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Cleary and Griffin are both fairly average coaches with some strengths and some limitations. One isn't significantly better than the other.

Get your hand off it @hineyrulz

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Cleary and Griffin are both fairly average coaches with some strengths and some limitations. One isn't significantly better than the other.

Get your hand off it @hineyrulz
Hook failed at Brisbane, and he’s done an average job with a very strong roster at Penrith. Best finish was 7th. Cleary got the Warriors to a GF and then took over a basket case Penrith side and made them competitive. He is doing the same now at the Tigers. Is he the next Jack Gibson??? No but he is a very capable coach who can get a team to the pointy end of the season. Griffin has shown nothing like that and has never coached a poor roster or had to build like Cleary has had too in most of his career.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Hannant said "you cant have a coach these days that wants his forwards to bash the opposition for 80 minutes hoping they will make mistakes". He further said "you have to make things happen". To be honest this is pretty much the exact opposite to how Penrith play.
I have seen this style elsewhere but its definitely not at the Pennys.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Well being sacked twice doesn’t look good on your resume, I’ll be shocked if he gets another coaching gig.
He’ll definitely get another gig.

Most people understand that the only thing he did wrong was tell Gus to back off and let him coach the team.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

You sure about that?

I thought Cleary’s last year was 2015 where the panthers finished 11th on 22 points only 2 points from last position!

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Hook failed at Brisbane, and he’s done an average job with a very strong roster at Penrith. Best finish was 7th. Cleary got the Warriors to a GF and then took over a basket case Penrith side and made them competitive. He is doing the same now at the Tigers. Is he the next Jack Gibson??? No but he is a very capable coach who can get a team to the pointy end of the season. Griffin has shown nothing like that and has never coached a poor roster or had to build like Cleary has had too in most of his career.
I think you are being selective. Griffin has left Penrith in a much better place than they were when he started. They could have easily gone well into “the pointy end” of the season with him at the helm.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Panthers would have been better off sacking the fat f**k and keeping Hook.

Who in their right mind would take on the coaching gig while Gus in there, how many coaches has he sacked now ?

Latest posts