What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gazzamatta

Coach
Ok. Next year we have
Mennings $800k
Moses $800k
Norman $900k
Add to that Hayne who wont sign for less than $800 Id imagine.
3.3 Million tied up in 3 players who have been worse than poor this year plus 1 other who has a history of being very good or very average.
We have huge issues. The only opportunity we have to get value out of these blokes is to change it up. If the teams direction and game plan/defensive structures/offensive plan remains as it is then its hard to imagine different results.

Gazzamatta

Coach
Ok, serious discussion, who do we sign then based on players that may be available? And who should we have signed that have changed clubs? And within consideration of the salary cap.

We can’t just sign anyone. I agree we need another leader, just not sure who is available. I wouId be keeping Norman (obviously we don’t know what his off field issues are) but letting Jennings go, with us paying up to $300k to move him (assuming he is on the $800k that is rumoured).
I honestly believe it dosent matter who we bring in with the style of footy we play. We have some great players. They require better direction. I see effort. I dont see direction.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Firsly....every player in the NRL is available. Players under contract are only at their current club until some club is prepared to provide them a better deal.

Both Watmough and Scott were under contract when they signed here.

Exactly the answer I wouId expect from you ................

JokerEel

Coach
Mennings and Norman womt be here next year will the!?!?!?!?!?!?!?¿¡¿¡

I know they are both contracted to us but please..

Chipmunk

Coach
Exactly the answer I wouId expect from you ................

The club needs to just pick the player it wants and get a deal sorted. If anyone said to you this time last year that Maloney would leave the Sharks and be replced by Moylan they would've been laughed at.

Mbye and Farah were no chance of being at the Tigers and Woods was little chance being at the Sharks. All were on contract and two of them on four year deals.

Graham was still going to be at the Dogs...

Opportunities arise, but they arise because people want to make them happen.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I honestly believe it dosent matter who we bring in with the style of footy we play. We have some great players. They require better direction. I see effort. I dont see direction.

I reckon our halves are cooked, they have been trying so hard (players do try) but nothing is working (and I hade said our attack is poor and the sweeping play is poor). They need a good 6 weeks holiday, get on the piss, and relax and refresh themselves.

I seriously reckon we will see a better power game next year and our attacking structure will be changed if BA stays (as I expect he will). He has changed our attack before

It’s just hard to change styles mid year.

Look at Kaufusi tonight, the kid is a great for 19, runs straight hard, quick play the balls and works hard in defence (one set their he made 3 tackles in a row). He is already better then Vave I reckon.

Mahoney is good at dummy half and can run. Salmon will be a good bench utility for a year or so.

Look at Ferguson tonight.

Paulo made 190 or so metre last week

Lane scores tries and is huge

MN will get better

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The club needs to just pick the player it wants and get a deal sorted. If anyone said to you this time last year that Maloney would leave the Sharks and be replced by Moylan they would've been laughed at.

Mbye and Farah were no chance of being at the Tigers and Woods was little chance being at the Sharks. All were on contract and two of them on four year deals.

If only it was that simple !!

You still haven’t named a single player we should have chased or should he chasing!!

ok let’s make a deal happen let’s piss Norman off and offer Munster $1.5m year over 4 years - that’s solves our halves problem and let’s meet with JT and see if we can get him to break his 10 year contract!! Also I reckon Cordner wouId be a good for us .......

So f**ken easy hey!!

Joshuatheeel

Staff member

Oh yeah you forget to mentioned Mbye / Woods/Graham were being shopped by their clubs.

And Maloney / Moylan wanted out.

So they weren’t specifically target by a club but clubs saw they were available and made enquires.

While Farah wasn’t target by the tigers but his best mate asked the tigers for him!!

Chipmunk

Coach
Oh yeah you forget to mentioned Mbye / Woods/Graham were being shopped by their clubs.

And Maloney / Moylan wanted out.

So they weren’t specifically target by a club but clubs saw they were available and made enquires.

While Farah wasn’t target by the tigers but his best mate asked the tigers for him!!

So clubs took their opportunity when it arose. We need to do the same thing.

Questions have to be asked why firstly we didn't look at Graham when he was being shopped.

Maloney didn't want out and was shopped by the club.

The Warriors is one club who has been proactive. They picked up both Green and Hiku who were under contract. They also got Blair and Harris.

I'd actually be making inquiries on Green.

I believe we've made some inquiries on the contracted Taupau. I'd suggest were after some others.

There is opportunities there. We just need to sort out the deal.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
So clubs took their opportunity when it arose. We need to do the same thing.

Questions have to be asked why firstly we didn't look at Graham when he was being shopped.

Maloney didn't want out and was shopped by the club.

The Warriors is one club who has been proactive. They picked up both Green and Hiku who were under contract. They also got Blair and Harris.

I'd actually be making inquiries on Green.

I believe we've made some inquiries on the contracted Taupau. I'd suggest were after some others.

There is opportunities there. We just need to sort out the deal.

Graham isn’t what we need, we now have experience in the pack and he is passed his prime. He isn’t the big boy we need. Plus Graham is 33, you already f**ken complained about us signing veterans like watmough and Scott but now you are bagging BA for not signing one ? FFS!!

We already have halves under contract and they were going ok in 2017 so why would we look at Maloney? And his form is starting to decline anyway. Additionally we signed one of the best junior halves available in Salmon - don’t forget he is only 19.

Yeah Harris wouId be good, but rumours were we were looking at NAS. Blair is poor. We did look at Hiku previously but where wouId he fit for next year ? . Green is 33 next year.

I wouId be looking at Bird (if he was cleared medically of any serious injuries) actually and offering one of our halves as a swap (yes i know I said we should keep Norman) - purely because he is aggressive and a real competitor which is what we need. Think he is a potential leader too.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Money can't buy...
Corey Norman is on a $940,000 pay packet, but not even that is enough to make him happy at the Eels. The story about him and Mitchell Moses not gelling has been around most of the year, but now Norman is talking openly about it. He is stuck at the club and will continue to try, but the issue with Moses being the man who runs the side makes it very hard for Norman to enjoy turning up and playing for the Eels every week – despite his salary.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sa...meron-smith-testimonials-20180901-p5017v.html

Chipmunk

Coach
Graham isn’t what we need, we now have experience in the pack and he is passed his prime. He isn’t the big boy we need. Plus Graham is 33, you already f**ken complained about us signing veterans like watmough and Scott but now you are bagging BA for not signing one ? FFS!!

We already have halves under contract and they were going ok in 2017 so why would we look at Maloney? And his form is starting to decline anyway. Additionally we signed one of the best junior halves available in Salmon - don’t forget he is only 19.

Yeah Harris wouId be good, but rumours were we were looking at NAS. Blair is poor. We did look at Hiku previously but where wouId he fit for next year ? . Green is 33 next year.

I wouId be looking at Bird (if he was cleared medically of any serious injuries) actually and offering one of our halves as a swap (yes i know I said we should keep Norman) - purely because he is aggressive and a real competitor which is what we need. Think he is a potential leader too.

I think you have me mistaken with somone else in regard to the Watmough and Scott signings.

Graham would've been handy for two years from last year. But that ship has sailed now.

I didn't think we should be signing Maloney or any of the players that went to the Warriors. I was using them as examples of players who went elsewhere why still under contract. They signed Harris and Blair, which is what they needed.

Bird I also think would be a decent buy, but then it leaves Norman or Moses as the one and only kicker and they're both unreliable to be the only kicking option. I'm not sure Bird would be any better as a 6 than Gutho. I think Bird would be handy on an edge or centre.

I think we should consider another crack at Peats in the 9.

I'd have a crack at Veki from the sharks for left wing.

If the Roosters end up with Taupau I'd have a crack at JWH, but would take Napa as the second option.

Id tell a number of players in the squad who are signed up next year there free to find a new deal.

hindy111

Post Whore
Firsly....every player in the NRL is available. Players under contract are only at their current club until some club is prepared to provide them a better deal.

Both Watmough and Scott were under contract when they signed here.

Yes, we gave them some superannuation.

Chipmunk

Coach
Money can't buy...
Corey Norman is on a $940,000 pay packet, but not even that is enough to make him happy at the Eels. The story about him and Mitchell Moses not gelling has been around most of the year, but now Norman is talking openly about it. He is stuck at the club and will continue to try, but the issue with Moses being the man who runs the side makes it very hard for Norman to enjoy turning up and playing for the Eels every week – despite his salary.”

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/sa...meron-smith-testimonials-20180901-p5017v.html

I've seen enough of Moses. I hope were not considering resigning him

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I think you have me mistaken with somone else in regard to the Watmough and Scott signings.

Graham would've been handy for two years from last year. But that ship has sailed now.

I didn't think we should be signing Maloney or any of the players that went to the Warriors. I was using them as examples of players who went elsewhere why still under contract. They signed Harris and Blair, which is what they needed.

Bird I also think would be a decent buy, but then it leaves Norman or Moses as the one and only kicker and they're both unreliable to be the only kicking option. I'm not sure Bird would be any better as a 6 than Gutho. I think Bird would be handy on an edge or centre.

I think we should consider another crack at Peats in the 9.

I'd have a crack at Veki from the sharks for left wing.

If the Roosters end up with Taupau I'd have a crack at JWH, but would take Napa as the second option.

Id tell a number of players in the squad who are signed up next year there free to find a new deal.

Sorry ok about watmough/Scott

Don’t forget Hayne can kick if he plays fullback and Mahoney seems to have a handy kick too. Bird can kick too.

Bird is a more powerful runner then gutho and wouId help us straighten up our attack which is to side ways.

Peats cost to much and Mahoney is the future, can’t see much available that are better then him. Lichaa on the cheap? Aren’t the dogs shopping him around . Pitts Pritchard is made of paper, plus we have that other gun junior hooker which is apparently training with the nrl squad this off-season.

There was also a rumour (probably bullshit), that Jennings to Gold Coast was a swap for Peachey as he wants to stay in Sydney and panthers can’t afford him.

Napa wouId be ok.

Latest posts