What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I could understand that for a bunch of new recruits who had just joined the army or something but most of these guys have been here for years. They should know their character by now. And at this point it might just seem to even the best of them that they are being punished for Arthur's and the team's failure.
Well they can’t very well let the blokes they’ve already decided not to keep stay in bed while their team mates do a smash session.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The whole "trying to offload xxxxx" is a bit of creative licence by journos .... i am sure every single players who has 1 yr to run on their deal has their manager approach their club for an extention .... if the club isnt willing to commit 12 months out, then the manager wants to negotiate a deal elsewhere and potentially go there immediately .... and i reckon often the current club will just say ok if the players isnt great - cool free up some cap room ..... this ends up, "player unwanted, being shopped around"

Its a result of the nrl rules about being able to negotiate 12 months from end of your contract
This 100%

“We’re not offering an extension” becomes “We want you gone yesterday!” because journalists sell drama, not facts.

Dibs

Bench
BA pulled a suprise 3am training session. f**k am I the only one that think he is running low on ideas with 1990s training stunts? Lol
Its good enough for the storm. Is Bellamy using ideas from the 1990s? If so maybe we should do more stuff from then

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
How is age consistent? You age consistently one year at a time therefore you are getting older consistently therefore age is consistently moving forward and over time you can't do the things that you once could as a professional Footballer.
Typical pessimist death rider. Age is only a negative for the older players. Many players in an NRL squad are young enough that getting a year older improves them rather than detracting from their performances.
How do injuries never heal? Some do and others never do, to the point that you are never as good as you once were before the injury(ies).

How do you stay fatigued if you are able to rest and recover? Over time with the punishment that an NRL player has to endure, chronic fatigue can and does become an issue for a lot of players as father time and all of the above start to add up. That is why it is so, so hard for players to have a 10+ year career in the NRL playing at their best year in year out and why so many of them pull the pin in their late 20's, early thirties and head of to England or retire. I'll grant you that with modern practices the sports boffins have managed to prolong the careers of many player way past what was once possible and why we are seeing so many 300+ game players recently, but they of course are still the exception.
There are two reasons so many blokes are playing until their mid-30s.

The obvious one is sports science. The workload is managed scientifically these days to maximise performance while ensuring longevity.

The other reason is money. Even an old bloke at the bottom end of the top 30 is earning more than most people. Ten years ago he would’ve earnt more devoting that time to working on a building site.
I suspect Mau, even though he hasn't had that long a career in the NRL, is feeling all the things that I mentioned because with his smaller size and the intensity that he likes to play at, it has taken a lot out of him. My thoughts are that he at best will have one more year of high quality(more or less) baring injury and then he will fade even more noticeably.
Well that’s good because he only has a year to run on his contract.

Dibs

Bench
Seems like a gimmick to me. Are we planning to deprive them of sleep before footy games?
Are you deliberately being ignorant? Because normally I find you quite level headed. Our mental strength is one of our many issues.!these type of exercise are done to build up your mental strength. If you can perform tired, sleep deprived and under extreme circumstances, then performing under better conditions should be a breeze

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
If we signed Davey and Sivo on anything more than the rookie contract of $72.5k, then the club has got rocks in their head. These are two players with ZERO experience at the NRL Level.

Lane has never been considered a Top 17 player and no club he has been to before has given him a second gig after being at the club. If his contract starts with anything other than a 1 then he is being over paid.
Lane’s form was very good this year. His contract would start with a 2.

Are you deliberately being ignorant? Because normally I find you quite level headed. Our mental strength is one of our many issues.!these type of exercise are done to build up your mental strength. If you can perform tired, sleep deprived and under extreme circumstances, then performing under better conditions should be a breeze
I'm tired and cranky and thus more cynical than usual. But I do think this boot camp style stuff is a bit of a fad and something I had thought was on the wane.

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I heard some bloke on the Abc talking about how the All Blacks train to go up a gear in the final 20 mins of a game. It's why they are almost unbeatable. I don't know the details of how they do it but it would almost certainly include some sort of training while fatigued. If that's what the staff is trying to achieve then I can see the point.

Gazzamatta

Coach
I heard some bloke on the Abc talking about how the All Blacks train to go up a gear in the final 20 mins of a game. It's why they are almost unbeatable. I don't know the details of how they do it but it would almost certainly include some sort of training while fatigued. If that's what the staff is trying to achieve then I can see the point.
A excellent point. Over the years many clubs practice this vrs our Eels and we can never go with them.
Hopefully AJ has them in better condition than The AFL Merkin last season.

Latest posts