What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
A excellent point. Over the years many clubs practice this vrs our Eels and we can never go with them.
Hopefully AJ has them in better condition than The AFL Merkin last season.
That's the other thing. At this early stage I doubt BA is actually running the show. Present, planning and directing the troops, but I would bet a nut that the fitness gurus have a lot of input at this camp. It was probably the Mexican bloke's idea.

I heard some bloke on the Abc talking about how the All Blacks train to go up a gear in the final 20 mins of a game. It's why they are almost unbeatable. I don't know the details of how they do it but it would almost certainly include some sort of training while fatigued. If that's what the staff is trying to achieve then I can see the point.
I reckon if flogging people at 3am was the sort of training that helps you win tough games then teams wouldn't only do it once a year. The same for judging their character. That's why I think it's mostly a gimmick. I realise you're not claiming either of those things.

That's the other thing. At this early stage I doubt BA is actually running the show. Present, planning and directing the troops, but I would bet a nut that the fitness gurus have a lot of input at this camp. It was probably the Mexican bloke's idea.
It's alright for that merkin, he's got a siesta to look forward to!

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I reckon if flogging people at 3am was the sort of training that helps you win tough games then teams wouldn't only do it once a year. The same for judging their character. That's why I think it's mostly a gimmick. I realise you're not claiming either of those things.
It is absolutely used to test character. It’s a staple of military selection courses.

Dibs

Bench
Don't the storm do a bootcamp and sleep derive their players? I guess its about getting stronger mentally. Get up at 3am, get on with it, don't complain. The coach maybe wanted to see which players stood up and which ones moaned like many here.
Exactly

It is absolutely used to test character. It’s a staple of military selection courses.
But what does a footy team do with this knowledge, given that it's only done once and at the very start of preseason training? Players don't play games sleep deprived. I can understand flogging blokes so they're physically exhausted and then putting them to the test but I wonder about its value here. Are you going to demote a player to reggies cos he whinged and moaned a bit? You're still stuck with him for the year.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
But what does a footy team do with this knowledge, given that it's only done once and at the very start of preseason training? Players don't play games sleep deprived. I can understand flogging blokes so they're physically exhausted and then putting them to the test but I wonder about its value here. Are you going to demote a player to reggies cos he whinged and moaned a bit? You're still stuck with him for the year.
It’s all part of having enough information to decide who should be in the 2020 squad. Although the 2019 squad still isn’t entirely decided either. There are still two top 30 spots, as well as a bunch of development spots remaining.

But there are a lot of players off contract (about 20). Some retention decisions will be easy but a few will be quite hard, and activities like this can help make a final decision about whom we want at our club beyond this year.

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It is a bit more relevant for military people. They actually might get woken at 3am and have to fight/defend/work under sleep deprived conditions.
It is indeed, but does that mean it is irrelevant for footy players? Hardship is hardship, and whinging is whinging. You need good people in your organisation, and psychopathic testing is only one way of working people out.

Taking merkins out of their comfort zone for a 3am flogging, working on farms with bumpkins, or visiting sick kids in hospital are the type of tests HR psychologists get wood over.

Gazzamatta

Coach
The 3am thing is a good start but lets get fair dinkum. Tie the merkins hand and feet and tow them 3 kilometers out to see and let the weak basta*ds find their way back. That'll sort out the pussies.

Dibs

Bench
I'm tired and cranky and thus more cynical than usual. But I do think this boot camp style stuff is a bit of a fad and something I had thought was on the wane.
I noticed but at least you are fairly stable, I’m up and down like a yo-yo

Actually that reminds me of the time I worked in a yo-yo factory. Wasn’t a bad job, it had its ups and downs.

That ones for you @parra pete

Latest posts