What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
OR

I and a bazillion other Parra supporters are over the over hyped Eels juniors, Senior team, Management and anything else you want to throw in the pertaining to the long term failure that is the Eels.

Obviously what you and Pou are saying generally makes sense, BUT it is the Eels and since when have we ever made sense?
You guys are very slow on picking up what it is to be an Eel supporter. What you just started supporting the team or something? Well I've got news for you two, lean years are the norm, exceptional years are the freaky abnormal around here.

The sooner you get that the quicker you will understand what it is to be an EELS fan and you will then finally be able to deathride like a professional.
Deathriding is too easy. I'd get bored fairly quickly.

TheRam

Coach
How is age consistent?

How do injuries never heal?

How do you stay fatigued if you are able to rest and recover?

How is age consistent? You age consistently one year at a time therefore you are getting older consistently therefore age is consistently moving forward and over time you can't do the things that you once could as a professional Footballer.

How do injuries never heal? Some do and others never do, to the point that you are never as good as you once were before the injury(ies).

How do you stay fatigued if you are able to rest and recover? Over time with the punishment that an NRL player has to endure, chronic fatigue can and does become an issue for a lot of players as father time and all of the above start to add up. That is why it is so, so hard for players to have a 10+ year career in the NRL playing at their best year in year out and why so many of them pull the pin in their late 20's, early thirties and head of to England or retire. I'll grant you that with modern practices the sports boffins have managed to prolong the careers of many player way past what was once possible and why we are seeing so many 300+ game players recently, but they of course are still the exception.

I suspect Mau, even though he hasn't had that long a career in the NRL, is feeling all the things that I mentioned because with his smaller size and the intensity that he likes to play at, it has taken a lot out of him. My thoughts are that he at best will have one more year of high quality(more or less) baring injury and then he will fade even more noticeably.

Chipmunk

Coach
Minimum salary is 100k ... there is no way Lane, Davey, Sivo are not over 350k ... davey sivo are probably minimum .... lane is likely on 250k plus - he is probably top 17

If we signed Davey and Sivo on anything more than the rookie contract of $72.5k, then the club has got rocks in their head. These are two players with ZERO experience at the NRL Level.

Lane has never been considered a Top 17 player and no club he has been to before has given him a second gig after being at the club. If his contract starts with anything other than a 1 then he is being over paid.

Chipmunk

Coach
Things like this aren't intended to improve merkins or 'build resiliency' (even though they are often sold that way). They are to test merkins' character, which is important with so many players off contract this year. We will want to have most of our re-signings out of the way by the end of pre-season.

There isn't a lot of players in that 28 man squad that we should consider re-signing. Gutherson and Alvaro perhaps.

The rest are going to need to show something on the field next season before you'd even consider it. To be honest, with the exception of those players on the lower end of the squad, I wouldn've even consider what they did next year. We need to move on and so should they.

Last edited:

TheRam

Coach
Deathriding is lame.

So is the word 'quisling'.

Of course it is, that's why at every opportunity when you don't agree with someones views and/or opinions, you try to tear them down with your (lame) sarcastic quips. Just like your above attempt to diminish my word proposal and self expression which one could also interpret as a form of deathriding a fellow posters suggestions and ideas.

Oh the irony.

Or maybe he felt that they had become lazy and complacent and needed to be tested. Our last place result is pretty strong evidence of that.

If any of the 'best of them' are thinking like that then they aren't the best of anything.

Don't get why people are pissing in their knickers over this. Must be the off-season...
It doesn't take a genius to recognise that dead men walking will often try crazy stuff in hopes of staving off the inevitable.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Of course it is, that's why at every opportunity when you don't agree with someones views and/or opinions, you try to tear them down with your (lame) sarcastic quips. Just like your above attempt to diminish my word proposal and self expression which one could also interpret as a form of deathriding a fellow posters suggestions and ideas.

Oh the irony.
No problems with people having different views to mine.

I just get tired of the mindlessly negative crap that some (not all) people post. It is that which I respond to.

Avenger

Immortal
A small thing that puts people out of their comfort zone is that crazy imo.

Boot camps, seeing how people cope with sleep deprivation etc are all fairly common from what I can see.
I think that shit works when a coach just comes on board but when by his own admission they are getting sick of his voice it tends to alienate the group more.

That’s my take anyway.

strider

Post Whore
If we signed Davey and Sivo on anything more than the rookie contract of $72.5k, then the club has got rocks in their head. These are two players with ZERO experience at the NRL Level.

Lane has never been considered a Top 17 player and no club he has been to before has given him a second gig after being at the club. If his contract starts with anything other than a 1 then he is being over paid.
Oh yeah i forgot the 3 players below 100k ... so they get 75k each = 150k ... lane played all last yeah at manly ... i will bet my nuts he is top17