What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Was confirmed the other day from somewhere NRL related. Can’t find it now.

Development players work need any dispensation to play first grade after June 30

Only place I've seen it somewhere "official" is from the dogs' in this article https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...nfirm-the-clubs-development-players-for-2019/

"The players train full-time and previously were not eligible to play first grade without an exemption from the NRL.

A change in the rule this season will allow any player on the development list to play NRL without exemption permission post June 30."

Couldn't find anything on nrl.com with a headline specifically stating the rules are changing.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/294ca661571dffb21fc3088cdc4b323b

SHOOSH

Which NRL club CEO is likely to be sacked before Christmas? It’s going to be a huge story when it happens?

MISSING CHIEFS

Four of the 16 NRL clubs were not represented at the recent chief executives conference at Moore Park. Manly (Lyall Gorman), Melbourne (Dave Donaghy), Parramatta (Bernie Gurr) and Gold Coast Titans, who don’t have a CEO, weren’t at the meeting to discuss the biggest issues in the game. Under a new rule, conference invitations are no longer transferable to stop absent CEOs from sending any old official.

Gazzamatta

Coach
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...h/news-story/294ca661571dffb21fc3088cdc4b323b

SHOOSH

Which NRL club CEO is likely to be sacked before Christmas? It’s going to be a huge story when it happens?

MISSING CHIEFS

Four of the 16 NRL clubs were not represented at the recent chief executives conference at Moore Park. Manly (Lyall Gorman), Melbourne (Dave Donaghy), Parramatta (Bernie Gurr) and Gold Coast Titans, who don’t have a CEO, weren’t at the meeting to discuss the biggest issues in the game. Under a new rule, conference invitations are no longer transferable to stop absent CEOs from sending any old official.
Good to see Bernie is preferring to concentrate on "The Review" and the resultant numerous issues which must have him running ragged. The poor bugger wouldnt know if hes Arthur or Martha at the moment.

El Diablo

Post Whore
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/dab3448d5604d35d0e618a74f423a98c

NRL: Record number of Parramatta Eels playing for a new contract

Michael Carayannis, The Sunday Telegraph
November 17, 2018 5:54pm

PARRAMATTA players head into next year “playing for their dinner” according to veteran Tim Mannah.

Fresh from one of the most disastrous years in the club’s history, the Eels have an unprecedented $7 million worth of off-contract players, with 20 of the clubs 28 contracted players unsigned beyond 2019.

Mannah is among those who face uncertain futures while the likes of Michael Jennings, Manu Ma’u, Daniel Alvaro, Clint Gutherson, Corey Norman and Mitchell Moses are also free agents.

Coach Brad Arthur is also without a deal beyond next year.

Mannah said the situation could work to the club’s advantage.

“It’s a different situation to what I’ve seen in the past,” Mannah said. “In a way it’s helped us all that we’re all on the same page and want to work hard for each other. Not a whole lot of the players through to the coaching staff have a contract (beyond next year).

“As a playing group it’s forced us to all band together.

“It’s not something you want to do every year, you don’t want everyone playing for their dinner every year. But it’s not a bad thing after the year we had. There is a lot more on the line.

“It’s the unspoken (bond). Everyone knows the position we’re in as a group.”

The post-season review by Arthur is where the Eels let their wooden spoon season end. Mannah was still coming to terms with the club’s failure after what promised to be such a successful season.

“The desire to be competitive and be good is there for every athlete but when you have a year like you do, there was a bit of embarrassment (so now there is a) want to prove people wrong and right a few wrongs,” Mannah said. “We are doing everything we can to improve.

“Last year was extremely difficult. At the start of the year I have never been so confident in having a successful year. I thought this was the best squad we had on paper in my career and the way we finished the season before (meant we had) a lot of reasons to be excited.

“It wasn’t to be. That was disappointing and frustrating.”

Mannah said he there had been a noticeable change in the group since they returned to training. It was highlighted by a training camp in Armidale earlier this month while Mannah has noticed a difference in Arthur’s approach.

“He has been open to a few things a different things we’ve been trying,” Mannah said. “Whether it’s the training techniques that haven’t been the norm in the past.

“Everyone is trying to make sure we don’t go the same way. Everyone had a look at themselves in the mirror. Players, performance staff, coaching staff and office staff are looking how to improve their department.”

Eelogical

Referee
https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/s...t/news-story/dab3448d5604d35d0e618a74f423a98c

PARRAMATTA players head into next year “playing for their dinner” according to veteran Tim Mannah.

Fresh from one of the most disastrous years in the club’s history, the Eels have an unprecedented $7 million worth of off-contract players, with 20 of the clubs 28 contracted players unsigned beyond 2019.

Mannah is among those who face uncertain futures while the likes of Michael Jennings, Manu Ma’u, Daniel Alvaro, Clint Gutherson, Corey Norman and Mitchell Moses are also free agents.

“It’s a different situation to what I’ve seen in the past,” Mannah said. “In a way it’s helped us all that we’re all on the same page and want to work hard for each other. Not a whole lot of the players through to the coaching staff have a contract (beyond next year).

“It’s not something you want to do every year, you don’t want everyone playing for their dinner every year. But it’s not a bad thing after the year we had. There is a lot more on the line.

The post-season review by Arthur is where the Eels let their wooden spoon season end. Mannah was still coming to terms with the club’s failure after what promised to be such a successful season.

“The desire to be competitive and be good is there for every athlete but when you have a year like you do, there was a bit of embarrassment (so now there is a) want to prove people wrong and right a few wrongs,” Mannah said. “We are doing everything we can to improve.

“Last year was extremely difficult. At the start of the year I have never been so confident in having a successful year. I thought this was the best squad we had on paper in my career and the way we finished the season before (meant we had) a lot of reasons to be excited.

Mannah said he there had been a noticeable change in the group since they returned to training. It was highlighted by a training camp in Armidale earlier this month while Mannah has noticed a difference in Arthur’s approach.

“He has been open to a few things a different things we’ve been trying,” Mannah said. “Whether it’s the training techniques that haven’t been the norm in the past.

“Everyone is trying to make sure we don’t go the same way. Everyone had a look at themselves in the mirror. Players, performance staff, coaching staff and office staff are looking how to improve their department.”
Tripe: A delicacy of English origin. Also known in Australia as consistent dribble written in the DT about the Parramata Eels.

BoneyBlake17

Juniors

Different year same dribble from timmy.

strider

Post Whore
Only place I've seen it somewhere "official" is from the dogs' in this article https://www.bulldogs.com.au/news/20...nfirm-the-clubs-development-players-for-2019/

"The players train full-time and previously were not eligible to play first grade without an exemption from the NRL.

A change in the rule this season will allow any player on the development list to play NRL without exemption permission post June 30."

Couldn't find anything on nrl.com with a headline specifically stating the rules are changing.
Yeah the only story i recall reading recently is that it was being considered

Maybe its been considered, decided but not announced officially yet?

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Different year same dribble from timmy.
I like Tim but you’re correct. Every pre-season it’s much the same. “The boys put in, hardest pre-season ever” etc etc. Hopefully he’s correct and the fact they are all coming off contract means they’ll bust a gut, it shouldn’t come to that though. I can’t remember being so apathetic before a season starts.

Latest posts