What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
We don't actually know how much the Dragons offered, or who knocked back whom. There could be interpersonal issues that are in the way as well. Benji Marshall used to be one of the best playmakers in the game, and obviously still believes he is important. An insecure coach is unlikely to want that kind of personality around.

Hahaha...You are so making shit up. Onya Pou!

Noise

Coach
The defence of Robson and Marshall isn't much different. In 14 games Robson has missed 34 tackles (2.4 misses a game). In 15 games Marshall has missed 41 (2.7 misses a game).

And even though Marshall has had a so called 'shit year' his try assists, LBA's and tackle busts shit all over Robson's.

TheRam

Coach
And while we are all arguing about the merit of signing Marshall based on his poor form this year. I wonder if it's also his experience that BA is looking at. We have a pretty young / inexperienced side and someone like Marshall could potentially be a good influence to have for "of the field stuff", training, leadership etc.

Watmough.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
If Watmough was injury prone we wouldn't have signed him. He picked up a new injury, which is a risk for all players, obviously increasing as they get older. But all strong teams need a handful of experienced players, and the ones under 30 can be very very expensive.
lol, he looked busted at Manly and many of us on here said he was a massive risk.

Marshall has been struggling with Hammy's and calfs all season, they are old man injuries. His running game was always the best part of his game and without that he offers SFA.

Bazal

Post Whore
The defence of Robson and Marshall isn't much different. In 14 games Robson has missed 34 tackles (2.4 misses a game). In 15 games Marshall has missed 41 (2.7 misses a game).

And even though Marshall has had a so called 'shit year' his try assists, LBA's and tackle busts shit all over Robson's.

Robson attempts 21 tackles per game, misses 2.4 (about a 90% success rate)
Marshall attempts 14 a game and misses 2.7 (about an 80% success rate)

Marshall is markedly worse defensively, in effort and application. He also only has 6 more try assists and 1 more line break than Robson. The big difference is Marshall runs the ball a hell of a lot more than Robson does. Twice as much, actually.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And would be guaranteed that if he had of signed with the dragons when they offered it. Was that offer for multiple seasons or just the one?
Given his quality last year I can understand why he wouldn't cop an offer based on his form in a year he's been hampered by injury. He obviously thought he could get some form going to up his value. Unfortunately for him the Dragons have been gash this year. Stocks are down for all their players, including Dugan and Widdop.

Noise

Coach
Robson attempts 21 tackles per game, misses 2.4 (about a 90% success rate)
Marshall attempts 14 a game and misses 2.7 (about an 80% success rate)

Marshall is markedly worse defensively, in effort and application. He also only has 6 more try assists and 1 more line break than Robson. The big difference is Marshall runs the ball a hell of a lot more than Robson does. Twice as much, actually.

'Only' 6 more try assists? That's a massive difference. And 7 more LBA's. Marshall's defence is certainly 1st grade standard and he offers a hell of a lot more with the ball than Robson.

Don't get me wrong, it's almost the turd sandwich vs giant douche debate, but if it's for 1 year and we have cap room then I believe a 32 year old Marshall has a hell of a lot more to offer than a 35 year old Robson.

Bazal

Post Whore
'Only' 6 more try assists? That's a massive difference. And 7 more LBA's. Marshall's defence is certainly 1st grade standard and he offers a hell of a lot more with the ball than Robson.

Don't get me wrong, it's almost the turd sandwich vs giant douche debate, but if it's for 1 year and we have cap room then I believe Marshall has a hell of a lot more to offer than Robson.

I don't necessarily disagree, but I just don't think Marshall offers a hell of a lot more. He offers some more, but really, the difference isn't massive on form

ash411

Bench
Anyone see this lovely piece of fine journalism?

'As long as the ground is named after him no girl will ever step foot on it': Parramatta Eels legend Mick Cronin is accused of 'refusing to let women play at his local rugby league club'

Parramatta Eels legend Mick Cronin has come under fire for refusing to allow his beloved local club to field a women's team.

The former Kangaroo and Eels goal-kicking centre is head coach of the Gerringong Lions in the Group Seven rugby league competition on the NSW south coast.

Reports from rugby league website the81stminute.com reveal that the local team refuses to field a woman's side, with Cronin a firm supporter of the decision.

'As long as the ground is named after him no girl will ever step foot on it,' one source told the website.

The club's home ground is named Michael Cronin Oval after the rugby league great.

Cronin, a premiership winning legend of Parramatta in the 1980s, strongly denied the reports, but seemed to distance himself from the controversy.

'I just coach the team, I am not on the committee. There are women on our committee so to say I don't want women playing football is ridiculous,' he told Sydney Morning Herald.

But Country Rugby League chief executive Terry Quinn confirmed the club refused to include a women's side and said the governing body would be investigating.

'It seems to be true. Group Seven is really big on women's tag and women's football but Gerringong Lions don't want women's teams,' Mr Quinn told SMH.

'It's discriminatory. We'll get onto it, we'll do something about it. Very surprising.'

But comments of support for Cronin have flooded social media, with users saying the rugby league champion promotes female participation in the sport.

'What a load of absolute rubbish!! Michael Cronin is one of the most respectful, humble gentleman you would ever have the pleasure to come across,' one Gerringong local said.

'As a former employee of the NRL and as a former facilitator of growing the game in terms of Women and Girls, Michael has not once cast aspersions on women and their role in the game. Quite the opposite actually.'

Clicky: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ay-local-rugby-league-club.html#ixzz4I2FZOu53

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
lol, he looked busted at Manly and many of us on here said he was a massive risk.
He was regularly making 100+ metres when our season effectively ended and Arthur made him get surgery to prepare for 2016. Being busted never stopped him playing well. He picked up a new injury this year and took the huge retirement payout, all cap free. He's been a very good signing. His experience and toughness is the sort of thing we've lacked at our club for a long time.

Marshall has been struggling with Hammy's and calfs all season, they are old man injuries. His running game was always the best part of his game and without that he offers SFA.
His running game was nothing special last year either. He has significantly remodelled his game.

Beau Scott is proof that your experienced players don't need to be stars to be contributors. They just have to play their role. And if they miss a few games to injury it gives someone else an opportunity.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore

Don't get me wrong, it's almost the turd sandwich vs giant douche debate, but if it's for 1 year and we have cap room then I believe a 32 year old Marshall has a hell of a lot more to offer than a 35 year old Robson.
But there's no reason we can't have both. Both offer plenty off the field and Robson at least would be pretty cheap.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Anyone see this lovely piece of fine journalism?

I think that's the original article which has since been updated with direct quotes from the Crow.

BTW it is very strange Gerringong doesn't have a ladies side, they are pretty much the only club (that fields a first grade side) that doesn't have a side. And it isn't a numbers issue either!!

Last edited:

Latest posts