What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

ash411

Bench
And while we are all arguing about the merit of signing Marshall based on his poor form this year. I wonder if it's also his experience that BA is looking at. We have a pretty young / inexperienced side and someone like Marshall could potentially be a good influence to have for "of the field stuff", training, leadership etc.
The only thing I can think of as an advantage is his experience. But only if it were a stop gap till we can get into the halves market when it open up next year. Anything more than a 1 year deal would be wasting money.

You hear me BA, put down your doughnut and get on it.

Actually, finish your doughnut mate, you've earned it.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
The only thing I can think of as an advantage is his experience. But only if it were a stop gap till we can get into the halves market when it open up next year. Anything more than a 1 year deal would be wasting money.

You hear me BA, put down your doughnut and get on it.

Actually, finish your doughnut mate, you've earned it.

Do you really think BA is looking at Marshall long term? He has already shown he likes 1 year deals.

strider

Post Whore
And while we are all arguing about the merit of signing Marshall based on his poor form this year. I wonder if it's also his experience that BA is looking at. We have a pretty young / inexperienced side and someone like Marshall could potentially be a good influence to have for "of the field stuff", training, leadership etc.
Or he could be a bad one

My fear if we got him fairly cheap would be that if shit wasnt going well, he strikes me as the kind of guy to go, well you are only paying me 250k i'm only gonna bother playing like that

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Or he could be a bad one

My fear if we got him fairly cheap would be that if shit wasnt going well, he strikes me as the kind of guy to go, well you are only paying me 250k i'm only gonna bother playing like that

I doubt many players play shit because they don't think they are getting paid enough. And I doubt Marshall would do that. He is a competitor.

ash411

Bench
Do you really think BA is looking at Marshall long term? He has already shown he likes 1 year deals.
No I don't think so, I'm afraid that Benji might make it a condition of signing, that it has to be a 2 year minimum.. Although BA has already proven that he's no pushover in contract negotiations..

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Because they need Benji to be the go-to guy. He's not up to it anymore so they have to recruit another.

We have Normz so if we got Benji (not saying we should) he would only need to worry about shifting the ball and 5th tackle options.

I worry about his D but.
They have Widdop, the problem is Bunji still thinks he is the go to guy. Widdops form hasn't been the same since they partnered him up with Bunji. He would do the same to Norman.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
No I don't think so, I'm afraid that Benji might make it a condition of signing, that it has to be a 2 year minimum.. Although BA has already proven that he's no pushover in contract negotiations..

That's ok, "find another club Benji". Thank you for your interest.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
They have Widdop, the problem is Bunji still thinks he is the go to guy. Widdops form hasn't been the same since they partnered him up with Bunji. He would do the same to Norman.

Maybe that's because Mary has made him the "go to guy".

Do you actually think Widdop / Benji are just making it up on game day? Or are they are following the plan/structure Mary has set up?

He wouldn't be the "go to guy" at the eels!! Norman would be, and if he tried to be, the Monday morning review with BA would be very unpleasant for him. BA is the King, he doesn't take shit!! Even peats has been quoted recently on how he had too limit his attack to fit into BA's "structure".

Actually think Benji will enjoy his footy a lot more with having less pressure on him as the "second" half.

ash411

Bench
That's ok, "find another club Benji". Thank you for your interest.
exactly, I was under the impression we'd already said "thanks, but no thanks" to Benji..

I wouldn't be mad if we signed him for 2017 only, and only if our preferred option for 2017 onwards (i.e. our long term option) was unavailable for 2017 and could get out of their current contract (like Reynolds, or Hastings for example, you know what I mean).

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Marshall was top three in the NRL last year for TAs and LBAs. Of course he was more important than Widdop.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Marshall was top three in the NRL last year for TAs and LBAs. Of course he was more important than Widdop.
Widdop was the form player in the comp before Marshall came to the dragons. His form has tapered of since Bunji the hog came to the club. I fear the same would happen to Norman with someone like him here who still thinks it's 2009.

Like his great mate Farah his ego won't allow him to play that support role.

Bazal

Post Whore
Hes been dreadful all year, we should lowball him and he can take it or leave it. Because I don't any other offers are going to come his way. And if he doesn't come it's no loss.

I don't even necessarily want the guy, I'd rather we threw a deal at Cullen or Hingano but someone will pay him more than 150k. If it's us for just a year and it doesn't affect other signings what difference does it make what he earns? He bridges a gap until 2018 and then we sign a better half, hopefully

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Benji doesn't strike me a the leader type, he has issues with his own discipline on the field.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I don't even necessarily want the guy, I'd rather we threw a deal at Cullen or Hingano but someone will pay him more than 150k. If it's us for just a year and it doesn't affect other signings what difference does it make what he earns? He bridges a gap until 2018 and then we sign a better half, hopefully

Pretty sure Marshall doesn't want to leave Sydney ( due to his wife's career and his fox gig), so his options are pretty limited. What other Sydney club needs a half ?

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Pretty sure Marshall doesn't want to leave Sydney ( due to his wife's career and his fox gig), so his options are pretty limited. What other Sydney club needs a half ?
Exactly, so why throw 300k at an over the hill half who has had a falling out with his last two coaches????

Whatever money we save next year can be used to front end guys like Mau and Semi in 2018.