What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

TheRam

Coach
But I go back to my original post on this subject, How the f**k does a club as popular as stepping into dog poop, the Sharks, manage to get over $200k and we have f**k all?

Don't give me the salary cap scandal as the excuse cause the Sharks is one club that has been involved in more scandals from, Salary cap to drugs and then some so how? And they are embroiled in a salary cap drama right freakin now ffs.

Eelogical

Referee
If I were these guys I'd sponsor Salmon.
brothers

TheRam

Coach
Derp. Winning is the currency of the NRL.

The Sharks are the latest to be pinged for fake invoices.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/abf8f1b478ec43e6307338e12677dfef

Even For successful teams, its hard for local businesses to throw money down the drain with TPAs. Very little corporate exposure for the cash offers a poor return for the marketing dollar. Other than a cashed up one eyed supporter, why would you ? For the scoreboard announcement introducing Tim Manah “sponsored by Con’s Fish Shop Toongabbie” ?

But they still seem to have some and we don't no matter how you interprate it.

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
Even though he is a peanut and I’m glad he is going I see no reason why we would allow Norman to leave unless we

A. Have someone else in mind for a position where we have a need like prop or centre, or

B. Dylan Brown is ready and will more than likely have a debut year like Tim Smith in 2005.
Or fullback.

Gronk

Staff member
But they still seem to have some and we don't no matter how you interprate it.

Yes the Storm, Broncos etc are blessed with
quote.gif
mystery donors. Meanwhile seemingly successful Sharks get caught allegedly faking invoices just to keep up with the Joneses.

TheRam

Coach
Yes the Storm, Broncos etc are blessed with
quote.gif
mystery donors. Meanwhile seemingly successful Sharks get caught allegedly faking invoices just to keep up with the Joneses.

So there are no legit TPA's and Jennings TPA that he brought over with him is also a bodgie then?

TheRam

Coach
Also that article states that they have released both 2017 and 2018 TPA figures right? But where are the 2018 figures?
92adc1456ca6e84a1bf9a1755c7aa805

Gronk

Staff member
So there are no legit TPA's and Jennings TPA that he brought over with him is also a bodgie then?
I read somewhere that the Mennings Nike deal was a test run by the sports company for instagram marketing. With some women on instagram earning $50k a month to promote clothing brands, $50k a year is nothing for Nike.

You will note that he posts Nike shit regularly.

https://www.instagram.com/jenko_3/?hl=en

TheRam

Coach
Holmes
Gallen
Fifita
Graham
Lewis
Moylan
Woods

That’s why!!

I hardly think that Fifita would be a sponsors cup of tea, but anyway. That's right, you finally hit it on the head. So the real issue isn't that we can't attract TPA's because we are on the nose with corporates per se, but the issue lies in we have sucked at recruitment since BS left. Especially when you consider each and everyone of those players that you have listed were all originally from the west and basically in our own backyard.

I'm sure if we had the foresight and quality in recruitment it would of been an attraction over Cronulla to sign with us and not disrupt yourself and or family with a move over to the Shire. But anyway lets hope that out new HoF can do a much better job then the last guy.

TheRam

Coach
Why do you think we don’t have any?

Well, we just don't have star players in our team. I would say if Gutho had kicked on from 2017 and not had a very lack luster 2018, then he could of become an attractive proposition to some corps, since he has wide appeal with even opposition fans.

But he didn't and neither did Moses, so really the shelf is pretty bare when trying to court extra personal dollars from sponsors.

Like I said before, lets hope that our new HoF can see the value in attracting high profile players, not just for their playing ability.

emjaycee

Coach
Oh so you agree there are legit TPA's, it's just that we can't seem to get any where as others do get legit ones.

Mmmm...

Do I agree that legitimate TPA's exist? - Sure. Billy Slater and his TPA with Queensland Bananas is a prime example of a legitimate TPA. Queensland Bananas wouldn't care where he played, he was simply a highly recognisable Queenslander they could use for product association and advertising and so they paid him accordingly.

There was discussion about Semi or Hayne becoming the face of Fiji Airlines at one stage, which would have been a legitimate TPA as we have no association with them - too bad the manager couldn't get off his ass and organise it and not tried to rely on the club to do his job for him.

That is the case with most TPA's - they need to be sourced and arranged by the player/player manager and therefore they don't often happen. The only involvement a club should have is to register them with the NRL once they are in place (I think there may be a minor NRL 'approval' process involved).

Do I think that all $4.2M of TPA's for 2017 are/were legit - no f**ken way.

emjaycee

Coach
But obviously not very many in Parramatta a city that dwarfs the Shire.
Interestingly there isnt a lot of large, local businesses in Parramatta that are identifiable as Parramatta businesses whereas in the Shire, there is a more distinct "local" identity associated with a heap of corporate brands. As a CBD, Parramatta attracts the 2nd office of lots of businesses with a Sydney CBD presence but not many that are exclusively Parramatta located.

Hopefully this will change as more and more corporate accommodation becomes available in Parramatta.

emjaycee

Coach
Derp. Winning is the currency of the NRL.

The Sharks are the latest to be pinged for fake invoices.

https://www.foxsports.com.au/nrl/nr...e/news-story/abf8f1b478ec43e6307338e12677dfef

Even For successful teams, its hard for local businesses to throw money down the drain with TPAs. Very little corporate exposure for the cash offers a poor return for the marketing dollar. Other than a cashed up one eyed supporter, why would you ? For the scoreboard announcement introducing Tim Manah “sponsored by Con’s Fish Shop Toongabbie” ?

The Con's Fish Shop example is not a TPA - it is a corporate sponsorship and the money goes to the club, not the player.

TheRam

Coach
Interestingly there isnt a lot of large, local businesses in Parramatta that are identifiable as Parramatta businesses whereas in the Shire, there is a more distinct "local" identity associated with a heap of corporate brands. As a CBD, Parramatta attracts the 2nd office of lots of businesses with a Sydney CBD presence but not many that are exclusively Parramatta located.

Hopefully this will change as more and more corporate accommodation becomes available in Parramatta.

This is not why we don't have legitimate TPA's. This is exactly the type of EXCUSES that irks the non excuses type of successful people among us.

emjaycee

Coach
This is not why we don't have legitimate TPA's. This is exactly the type of EXCUSES that irks the non excuses type of successful people among us.

Bullshit - it is exactly one of the main REASONS we don't have TPA's and I can say this because I have spoken to over 50 Parramatta based businesses in the last 5 years asking them to consider offering a TPA to an Eels player.
Do you understand the conditions of TPA's that exist?
Do you know exactly how a business will or won't benefit from a TPA?
Do you know why the players will not meet the obligations they agree to when they sign a TPA?
Do you know why there are so little TPA's in the NRL?
Do you even know what a legitimate TPA is?

When you understand all of these as well as I do, then come and tell me exactly why we have no TPA's again.