What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Glenneel

Bench
You don’t have to convince me about Watmough being a bad signing. But you will never convince me that Watmough didn’t offer leadership whilst he was at Parramatta.
Thought leadership was about bonding with the team and individual players, offering advice to and helping players having problems, either in their game or personally, staying after training and having a beer. Can't do any of that from your car, can you, if you piss off immediately after training. Also didn't see any leadership with the team when behind the sticks either. In fact none of our 'leaders' seem to be doing anything these days after a try scored against us while waiting for the conversion to be taken. In the good ole days Price used to rip into the team and that's what's missing these days. We have no leaders!.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He retired at 33. That's probably about average these days for players earning his kind of money. So anyone who plays a dozen origins has obviously put in? Like Hayne?
Watmough won 172 NRL games in his career. Hayne has won less than a hundred. Zero spoons to 3.

It might be coincidence, but the weight of evidence points to Watmough being a superior professional and competitor. Despite having far less talent than Hayne.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Who wants to follow Hayne’s example? I think it’s well-known that Hayne is a shitty trainer and is just lucky enough to be naturally gifted. I think his team mates understand this and don’t rely on the same natural talents.
I reckon Hayne makes the players around him worse. Especially the younger ones.

Glenneel

Bench
We’ve been dogshit for a long time but I’m not sure if that can be put down to not putting in, at least for the most part.
The team has been putting in but in the past we've had shitty overpaid players, shitty leadership, a shitty coach, shitty training conditions and shitty support staff.

Now we have a few overpaid players, maybe shitty leadership (hoping Gutho will come good), still some shitty players, perhaps a shitty coach BUT who may have changed, good (not excellent) training conditions and good support staff.

BA is a reactionary and not a proactive coach, often selecting poor players when they should be dropped, and was dragged kicking and screaming into selecting any juniors over the past 5 years. My greatest fear is BA will stick with the same players that failed in the past to begin this year's campaign and still have the same game plan he has had over the same time.

There are massive holes in the roster, only one recognised centre and plenty of wingers, a 27yo journeyman added and a 32yo? player retained, both forwards. They are denying several juniors places in the side who have much more upside..

The spine in unsettled and inexperienced and likely to be further inexperienced by picking a 18yo half who has never played NRL. We'll now rely on a half, who has been inconsistent the past, hoping he'll step up this year, finally.

We have no decent goal kicker and lack of kicking for goals last year cost us 2-3 games. That HAS to change this year and I believe it had to be instructions from BA as it was done frequently.

Despite all this I believe we'll do better this year, not top 8 but close. I'm hoping an ex-coach amongst the support staff will change BA's mindset, if not he'll be without a job come mid year. This year I believe will be a rebuilding year. Most of the (overpaid) old guard will disappear at year's end and be replaced by a mixture of juniors and new purchases. Bring on 2020 I say, how exciting!

hindy111

Post Whore
Last year when someone asked the might duke whats wrong with Parra. He said this.
They need juniors, guys who come through the system and want to bleed for the club. I agree 100%. He nailed it.
For starters you get a few cheap years out of them as well.And they are more likely to stay for a little cheaper then what other clubs offer. Of course if they receive silly overs they will go.

One thing we have it seems is a steady flow of juniors or guys who we snapped up before making first grade debuts elsewhere.
We have Tepai,Bevan,Kaysa,Alvaro,Salmon,Mahoney,Nikauore,Kafusi all spring up in the last 4 or so years.
We will see Brown,Stefano,Stone,Parry,Dunster,Schneider over the next 2yrs. And perhaps someone else will pop up from the clouds.

To remain healthy we need minimum of 2 juniors to debut every year. Idealy 3.

Gary Gutful

Post Whore
Thought leadership was about bonding with the team and individual players, offering advice to and helping players having problems, either in their game or personally, staying after training and having a beer. Can't do any of that from your car, can you, if you piss off immediately after training. Also didn't see any leadership with the team when behind the sticks either. In fact none of our 'leaders' seem to be doing anything these days after a try scored against us while waiting for the conversion to be taken. In the good ole days Price used to rip into the team and that's what's missing these days. We have no leaders!.
Yeah, and you sure as f**k can’t do it while you are at training either....:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Having beers with the boys after training isn’t f**king leadership. Ignoring that it isn’t 1977, even sticking around for soy lattes after training isn’t leadership.

Ripping into people doesn’t work these days either. Leadership needs to be more nuanced. Too many snowflakes for that to work.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
The team has been putting in but in the past we've had shitty overpaid players, shitty leadership, a shitty coach, shitty training conditions and shitty support staff.

Now we have a few overpaid players, maybe shitty leadership (hoping Gutho will come good), still some shitty players, perhaps a shitty coach BUT who may have changed, good (not excellent) training conditions and good support staff.

BA is a reactionary and not a proactive coach, often selecting poor players when they should be dropped, and was dragged kicking and screaming into selecting any juniors over the past 5 years. My greatest fear is BA will stick with the same players that failed in the past to begin this year's campaign and still have the same game plan he has had over the same time.

There are massive holes in the roster, only one recognised centre and plenty of wingers, a 27yo journeyman added and a 32yo? player retained, both forwards. They are denying several juniors places in the side who have much more upside..

The spine in unsettled and inexperienced and likely to be further inexperienced by picking a 18yo half who has never played NRL. We'll now rely on a half, who has been inconsistent the past, hoping he'll step up this year, finally.

We have no decent goal kicker and lack of kicking for goals last year cost us 2-3 games. That HAS to change this year and I believe it had to be instructions from BA as it was done frequently.

Despite all this I believe we'll do better this year, not top 8 but close. I'm hoping an ex-coach amongst the support staff will change BA's mindset, if not he'll be without a job come mid year. This year I believe will be a rebuilding year. Most of the (overpaid) old guard will disappear at year's end and be replaced by a mixture of juniors and new purchases. Bring on 2020 I say, how exciting!
So you’re unhappy that Arthur doesn’t pick youngsters but also unhappy he got rid of Norman to make room for a junior halfback?

Gronk

Staff member
Pages and pages and pages of "Arthurs and the board are shit" vs "No they're really not that bad".

giphy.gif

hindy111

Post Whore
who gives a f**k ? he is 8 years into his 5 year plan and still average

You keep saying that. But his club was way worse then ours 8yrs ago.
They've made the finals 3yrs in a row and 4/5. Last seasons. They also won games in every final series and where one game off Grand final in one season. For us to have same sucess we need to make finals the next 3 yrs straight and win games every year in the final series and to a preliminary final. And still have a strong squad for 2022.
Heck they may make finals this season which would be 5/6 seasons. That is almost a dynasty and a powerhouse.
We've made it 1/8 years ya dumb merkin and where bundled out in straight sets.
Id love to win the title but hey 2nd best would be just making finals most years.

And secondly how many wooden spoons as the Duke picked up in 8 yrs? f**king 0.
We have how many? 3 or 4 ffs.