What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
Maybe Gutho got a heads up from Freddy that he was in the frame for origin selection but wouldn't be picked unless his contract situation was sorted.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
Mate I'll be furious if he decides before he gets back from his off season trip!

We need at least five months of flip-flopping on our support of the merkin. Do it right Moses ya f**ken f**khead!
What end of season trip? He should be cancelling this years one as well.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
I would have paid good money to have been able to listen in on Sam’s desperate calls to Bernie etc during the week.

His bluff has been called big time. You’ll notice that this deal has been signed and announced before Friday’s deadline set by the club.

Sam would’ve backtracked plenty and assured the club that Gutho was signing before Friday but asked that his client save some face. Hence the club supposedly relaxing the deadline, publicly at least.

I’m guessing yesterday’s little press conference stunt was Sam’s last stone to throw.

Regardless, the club are to be commended. They got the right guy at the right price for the right length of time. Finally, Parra are doing the right things off the field, which is where all success begins.

Last edited:

Bazal

Post Whore
I would have paid good money to have been able to listen in on Sam’s desperate calls to Bernie etc during the week.

His bluff has been called big time. You’ll notice that this deal has been signed and announced before Friday’s deadline set by the club.

Sam would’ve backtracked plenty and assured the club that Gutho was signing before Friday but asked that his client save some face. Hence the club supposedly relaxing the deadline, publicly at least.

I’m guessing yesterday’s little press conference stunt was Sam’s last stone to throw.

Regardless, the club are to be commended. They got the right guy at the right price for the right length of time. Finally, Parra are doing the right things off the field, which is where all successful franchises begin.

emjaycee is normally spot on and he said the interviews were arranged byt the club, and Sam leaked the signing before the club wanted it announced...

Nah, I think yesterdays pressers were the clubs plan and that Sam Ayoub has leaked it to the his mate Jim Wilson.
And of course I wouldn't have any mail on this on my phone from 2 mins ago.

Matty Bhoy

Juniors
emjaycee is normally spot on and he said the interviews were arranged byt the club, and Sam leaked the signing before the club wanted it announced...

Sweet more than happy to be corrected there. Regardless, a blinder by the Eels. Not often we can say that either.

TheRam

Coach
I'd say in previous years the fans would've sided with the player, especially such a popular one. This has always resulted in the club bending over, with disastrous long term results. I wonder what's different this time. Could be the fact there's no elections on, but that doesn't explain why most fans were so quick to turn on Gutho.

Jeez Pou, you really think that you are that superior to most other fans don't you? Like no one else could see that we finished with a wooden spoon and that Gutho as great as he can be isn't in the same league as the best FB's in the game, has injury concerns and that his true value is somewhere around the $600-700K mark, but you?

Once the club got to around $600K, Gutho and his manager were always going to lose the public relations battle no matter what some of the media were saying. The only people that have done irreparable damage to their already tarnished reputation is the media that went on like a bunch of dim witted shills for their mate Ayoub and you with these sorts of posts that highlight the bullocks you can go on about.

Congratulations King Gutho, you merkin for choosing to stay and play for the mighty Eels. Yee Ha!

No one has mentioned the money though, not that that necessarily means much. But before we get too carried away about a 'win' it's still possible we paid more than we'd have liked. Although even if we did, I doubt it was much more. So yeah, we won. Probably.

TheRam

Coach
Eels 1 - Players manger 0

I would hardly say that the manager is 0. He got top dollar for 3 years for his client. He couldn't give a toss what you think of him while he spend his 6% and all will be forgiven as far as Gutho goes.

Ultimately the club were slow off the the mark on this one(understandably to some point) and the manager and client were willing to wait it out and play hard ball to get top dollar through the media and it worked for them. Now all Gutho needs to do is play well and all will be sweet.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I would hardly say that the manager is 0. He got top dollar for 3 years for his client. He couldn't give a toss what you think of him while he spend his 6% and all will be forgiven as far as Gutho goes.

Ultimately the club were slow off the the mark on this one(understandably to some point) and the manager and client were willing to wait it out and play hard ball to get top dollar through the media and it worked for them. Now all Gutho needs to do is play well and all will be sweet.
He wanted a 4 year deal @ 800k, instead it was 3 years on a lot less This after he played it out in the media and made his client look like a greedy merkin. As i said Manger 0.

IFR33K

Coach

The manager tried buckling us over and pressure into paying top dollar. Yes he’s still getting decent coin but the fact the club stood its ground and wouldn’t just give in to the managers demands is great news.