What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Avenger

Immortal
Why does it matter if they were past their prime when their prime was so much better than most players?
It matters because we paid them too much. Are you going to give me that Watmough we paid him for his leadership bullshit again? Once I heard that podcast with him being interviewed I saw that argument was garbage as are most of your f**king posts.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Interestingly we probably played our best footy (probably the “toughest” too) under BA in 2016/2017 when Watmough/Scott/Foran/Peats all had some involvement in the side / squad / training / preparation / etc etc

Avenger

Immortal
Interestingly we probably played our best footy (probably the “toughest” too) under BA in 2016/2017 when Watmough/Scott/Foran/Peats all had some involvement in the side / squad / training / preparation / etc etc
Watmough was injured for nearly all of it.

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Fergo at his peak according to those who should know.

The verdict

Parramatta winger Blake Ferguson has knocked off Josh Addo-Carr as the premier winger in the NRL voted by the players. Ferguson’s red-hot start to the year hasn’t gone unnoticed by the players, with the flamboyant winger rising from equal fifth to first in the space of 12 months. It’s a timey reminder to NSW coach Brad Fittler just a few days out from the naming of his team for game one.

https://www.nrl.com/news/2019/05/23...yers-coach-rookie-team-and-dally-m-favourite/

hindy111

Post Whore
Yep. The difference is whether the team wins or loses. Fans look for reasons after the fact and pick individual performances without considering how a particular player's weaknesses were exposed (and nearly all of them have weaknesses).

Merkins were raving about Liam Martin's great performance because they won, but if they lost he would've been pilloried for the fact he missed 9 tackles - even more than Maloney.

JFH was best on field. But Liam Martin had a great game.

hindy111

Post Whore
Watmough was a merkin of a signing. He was over the hill and injury prone AMD we have him 4yrs on premium dollars.
2yrs would of been an ok gamble.

Scott also was a poor signing due to 3yrs for an old man. 2yrs would of been ok.

Signing guys over 31 should be 2yrs MAX

T-Boon

Coach
I would be hesitant to give anyone other than a totally elite player anything more than a 2 year contract.

3 years brings out the complacency in people, which is why elections are every 3 years, if they were every 2 years people would be put out enough to get upset about it and make it 3. 3 years seems ages away.

Superstars can be given more than 2 year contracts because they are motivated by more than just security and they back themselves. Gutherson gibbered on a lot about security and being set up by this contract, which should always be a total give away that his form would drop after signing.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It matters because we paid them too much.
That's a completely separate issue. Dave Gower is past his best as well. Are we paying him too much? Is Cameron Smith getting paid too much because he's not as good as he used to be?
Are you going to give me that Watmough we paid him for his leadership bullshit again? Once I heard that podcast with him being interviewed I saw that argument was garbage as are most of your f**king posts.
It's impossible for such an experienced and decorated player with such a strong personality not to be a leader. The only question is whether he was a good influence or a bad influence. I'm glad your podcast had all the answers.

Eelementary

Post Whore
All these players except Salmon of course were past their prime when he acquired them. I’d argue he paid overs to get them too.

Fair enough.

They were still elite players when he signed them, though.

And I'd argue that Jennings and Ferguson are still elite.

Parra Cheeses

Juniors
f**k
Another club bought a player who didnt work out.
Tyrone peachey same
Bird same
Merrin same
Foran x 3 same
Blair x 2 same
Robert's x 4 same

Gee I thought it only happend to our club. Is it possible players all lose form? Some excel at a new start and others go backwards. Who would of guessed.
Procter
McLean