What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
A 2021 side that looked something like this, we’d be serious contenders:

1. Gutho
2. Fergo
3. Salmon
4. Blake
5. Sivo
6. Moses (I’d prefer Drown running the show and moses chiming in when he wants)
7. Drown
8. Paulo
9.Mahoney
10. Brown
11. Lane
12. Marata
13. Trbojevic

14. Schneider
15. Kaufusi
16. Utoikamanu
17. Mau/Stone/Faingaa

Interestingly, to make this a reality we’d only have to be smart with our re-signings and look at 2 external recruitments over the next year and a half.

Good side, except I like Salmon in the 12, I see him potentially as a “Wade Graham” style player. We know salmon has some playing making skills, can kick/pass and at centre those skills wouId be wasted.

Glenneel

Bench
I don’t think we need Tommy, we already have gutho as fullback but Jake wouId be perfect.

Probably need a 4 year $4million deal to make him really think about it.

I reckon the key to not stuffing our cap / balance is trying to get Mahoney/Drown on 3 or so year deals at a reasonable price (like 3 year $1million for drown, 3 year $600k for Mahoney) and hoping Stefo / kaufusi / stone can be top 17 players and not costing to much.

That would be potentially give us 4-5 top 17 players on unders / fairly cheap contracts, giving us flexibility to offer stupid money for Jake.

I reckon it’s worth the risk.
Yep, Gutho as good as Tom T so don't need him. Really? Anyway pie in the sky stuff doubt we'd be in the top 15 clubs the Trob boys would go to.

Glenneel

Bench
Alvaro was beginning to be our version of Jake Trbojević but he couldn’t handle the extra weight. He has been a massive disappointment this season. I think he is UK bound.

It’s the right call to not re-sign Mau. I like what Marata is doing.
Guess our version is reserve grade quality against SOO quality. The mindset of most of our supporters who thought Alvaro was ever to be our saviour. Plodder at his best and only ever a reserve if injuries strike imo.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Yep, Gutho as good as Tom T so don't need him. Really? Anyway pie in the sky stuff doubt we'd be in the top 15 clubs the Trob boys would go to.

Never said Gutho is as good as Tommy T.

But Gutho is already signed on “spine” money. So with Drown (assuming he stays)/Moses already here too, there is no spot (or cap space) for another spine player in our squad.

Also BA did sign Foran with competition from the dogs and Moses from he roosters, so there is always a chance ....

Happy MEel

First Grade
Good side, except I like Salmon in the 12, I see him potentially as a “Wade Graham” style player. We know salmon has some playing making skills, can kick/pass and at centre those skills wouId be wasted.
I can see him moving to edge forward later in his career, much like Chris Lawrence and Ben Smith. IMO he is of most use to us in the centres in the short-mid term, running good lines and playing a key role towards the end of backline shifts.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Guess our version is reserve grade quality against SOO quality. The mindset of most of our supporters who thought Alvaro was ever to be our saviour. Plodder at his best and only ever a reserve if injuries strike imo.

No one said Alvaro was our saviour, just a average top 17 middle player that every NRL side needs, just like Glabsy for the storm and now Knights......etc etc etc

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
I can see him moving to edge forward later in his career, much like Chris Lawrence and Ben Smith. IMO he is of most use to us in the centres in the short-mid term, running good lines and playing a key role towards the end of backline shifts.

Those 2 probably moved to the edge as they lost some speed / mobility rather then having better skills suit to edge then centre.

Anyhow it’s a good problem for BA and co to have.

Gronk

Staff member
Good morning Grizzle Guts.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
It's not about whether he's as good as the competition, only that he's good enough. Plenty of worse fullbacks than Tom Trbojevic have won premierships.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nobody ever thought Alvaro was our 'saviour'. I'd be surprised if anyone even tipped him for Origin.

But your comment about any given player being the saviour shows you still don't get it. No player is ever any club's saviour. Players don't win premierships, teams do. And anyone overpaying Trbojevic/Ponga/Tedesco/whomever (or unable to pay a large portion outside the cap) won't be able to put a premiership squad together, and these gun players won't win shit. Just like pre-Roosters Tedesco never won anything. Last year was his first ever finals series.

Will Smith has won as many finals as Ponga and Trbojevic combined. It's team game.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
And given his ability at such a young age he is potentially a great defensive centre.

Avenger

Immortal
So how much would you knock back not to have to drive across Sydney for work?
You are making out that Manly won’t even get close to our offer. There is next to zero chance that we will sign either of them, doesn’t matter what the difference is.

And it’s irrelevant what I would knock back you f**kwit.

Latest posts