What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Bazal

Post Whore
But like ginger beer it is made with sugar, and beer where sugar turns into alcohol, so surely the calories are still present.

Nope.

Because it's between beer and sugar, ie the ferment stops before the sugar can be converted, the calories are consumed by the yeast.

It's like a very dry sparkling wine for eg. There is only calories from alcohol in a zero dosage champagne. Take away the alcohol, as in kombucha, and there are very few calories

Eelementary

Post Whore
We have a few problems ingrained into our DNA that urgently needs fixing.

Defence. We've been poor with our defence for the entirety of BAs tenure. What he has been able to do is up our attack to compensate but unless its fixed we'll forever just be a roughie to make the gf and not have a realistic chance to win it.

Mental toughness/good leadership. A real Achilles heal for us. If the going gets rough we appear to have no mental fortitude to tough it out. Then once we get an even share of the ball we make stupid errors, be it thru exhaustion or trying to catch up/poor game management. We don't appear to have the ability to grind a match out and defend for long periods of time without conceding tries. The good teams do.

Again the discussion comes about, is BA the coach we need? My answer is probably not.

That's no true - the team defended very well in 2017.

But I'll agree that our defence has been inconsistent over the years.

Although I, personally, put that down to an inexperienced squad.

84 Baby

Referee

I put one down to the other. We don’t have poor defence usually, but we can be broken apart due to poor leadership/fortitude

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
We have a few problems ingrained into our DNA that urgently needs fixing.

Defence. We've been poor with our defence for the entirety of BAs tenure. What he has been able to do is up our attack to compensate but unless its fixed we'll forever just be a roughie to make the gf and not have a realistic chance to win it.

Mental toughness/good leadership. A real Achilles heal for us. If the going gets rough we appear to have no mental fortitude to tough it out. Then once we get an even share of the ball we make stupid errors, be it thru exhaustion or trying to catch up/poor game management. We don't appear to have the ability to grind a match out and defend for long periods of time without conceding tries. The good teams do.

Again the discussion comes about, is BA the coach we need? My answer is probably not.
Our glaring problem was ruck defence, and the problem was personnel. Paulo's a liability and Mahoney had to play too many minutes. Our best middle defender Alvaro was overweight and less effective than previous years.

Next year we'll still have Paulo, and Mahoney might still have to play 80 every week, but he'll be a year older and tougher, and Alvaro will be back to his best weight. Campbell-Gillard is an excellent middle defender as well. Our defence might not be premiership standard but it'll be better. Our attack is already great.

TheRam

Coach
You guys are hopeless. I told you all about water Kefir a few years ago and how great it was for your gut and immune system.

And now with all the Kombucha craze you are all into it. Oh well better late then never, but Kefir in my opinion tastes better and is easier to make as this fine girl shows us.

Also Coles sells milk based Kefir, plain or Blueberry flavour now. Great stuff. The plain one tastes a bit like Greek yogurt and the blueberry one tastes like fruit yogurt, Very yummy.

hindy111

Post Whore
You guys are hopeless. I told you all about water Kefir a few years ago and how great it was for your gut and immune system.

And now with all the Kombucha craze you are all into it. Oh well better late then never, but Kefir in my opinion tastes better and is easier to make as this fine girl shows us.

Also Coles sells milk based Kefir, plain or Blueberry flavour now. Great stuff. The plain one tastes a bit like Greek yogurt and the blueberry one tastes like fruit yogurt, Very yummy.

She looks very similar to the last girl you bought along to bones on bones.Is it her?

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
I reckon the key is looking at how we lost games this year.

We weren’t really outclassed to often this year (yeah storm did but that’s probably it) and our attack is as good as any (it’s a hard skill to coach into a side/players).

Don’t have time to check right now but think we had close to the most run metres, which indicates we are getting over the top of the opposition quite regularly.

I say the reason we lost most games was either poor ruck defence or just to many simple errors (like drop balls / stupid penalties or no patience in attack). I reckon these are things that can be fixed through coaching / good off season / more experienced players (eg rookies playing more games).

Anyhow so I think we do have the ability to develop into a top 4 side with our current squad (and hopefully some additions)

Outside of the storm games I'd say the final 20 minutes of the roosters game in round 3 or 4. We were keeping up with them for the most part but then they flexed their muscles and got over the top of us.

Obscene Assassin

First Grade

Adding onto this I have a feeling our tactics in defence for this to happen. We didn't wrestle as much so whilst we have up metres in the middle we also didn't give away as many penalties as other teams.

It's a good tactic when the game is open and the refs penalise our opposition for wrestling but when they allow them to lay all over us, like in the storm final, it isn't a good tactic. There's probably a middle ground we can find, but you also have to be onside with the refs. Since we've made the finals 2 out of the past 3 seasons will the refs consider us a "top team" and give us more leeway in the ruck?

Maybe adding a bit of height and weight with RCG, and potentially Stefano getting a few games, we may see better ruck control?

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Outside of the storm games I'd say the final 20 minutes of the roosters game in round 3 or 4. We were keeping up with them for the most part but then they flexed their muscles and got over the top of us.

Yeah but from memory pretty much each time we scored that game the following set we gave the ball away (silly errors) and they scored, so we failed to build any pressure.

Stevie

Bench
I’d like the edge signing of course but still think we could use a quality outside back. Waqa’s recent injury had me thinking about who’s there to fill a spot of quality... Jennings is a bit older also and if either get injured are we relying on a rookie to step in for that time? Hoffman was handy there.

I’d like the edge signing of course but still think we could use a quality outside back. Waqa’s recent injury had me thinking about who’s there to fill a spot of quality... Jennings is a bit older also and if either get injured are we relying on a rookie to step in for that time? Hoffman was handy there.
Probably still Taka.

Daniel Vella

Juniors
We've got takz. He could slide in for either

Daniel Vella

Juniors
If i was BA I would get an edge backrower, a hooker and maybe a good utility for the bench. Someone like Segearyo but without drugs. So Mahoney can have a bit of a rest.

Last edited: