What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member
Yeah not many options for hooker. Can hoffy or salmon play hooker?

I believe Hoff has gone the ESL, Salmon would be subjective, the jury is still out on this kid, certainly has talent and I love his defensive game but as to where he will settle is anyone's guess

Gronk

Staff member
Salmon filled in at dummy half a little bit for first grade and reserves later in the year.
This is the make or break year for Salmon. So far he is the jack of all trades and the master of none. Personally I hope that he becomes a Victor Radley clone. Hardens up with his D and pushes up in support more. They are about the same size however Radley one year older.

Daniel Vella

Juniors
This is the make or break year for Salmon. So far he is the jack of all trades and the master of none. Personally I hope that he becomes a Victor Radley clone. Hardens up with his D and pushes up in support more. They are about the same size however Radley one year older.
Yeah we could do with a Radley clone

strider

Post Whore
I don't think he would ever develop into a radley clone ... radley is one of those rare types who just has excellent technique to make him a bone rattling defender for his size - not easy to learn - you have it or you dont

Glenneel

Bench
That's no true - the team defended very well in 2017.

But I'll agree that our defence has been inconsistent over the years.

Although I, personally, put that down to an inexperienced squad.
I haven't looked it up but I highly doubt we were in the top 8 for defence in 2017. If you remember right we only had a positive F & A for the last 2 games.

hindy111

Post Whore

He is our back up half. If Dylan or Noses copped a long term injury he may get a good run. If plays well another club may pick him up.
Unsure his position. Big kid so it's open. But doesnt seem to be tough enough for forwards. I'm unsure coaching staff are even sure. He played a bit of centre but mainly halves this season.

Glenneel

Bench
I put one down to the other. We don’t have poor defence usually, but we can be broken apart due to poor leadership/fortitude
The best position we've been in during BAs tenure is this year where we came 7th conceding 473 points. The next best was 2017 where we leaked 457 points which was in 8th place. To be a contender for the gf we have to be in the top 4 for the ladder and in defence.

Glenneel

Bench
Our glaring problem was ruck defence, and the problem was personnel. Paulo's a liability and Mahoney had to play too many minutes. Our best middle defender Alvaro was overweight and less effective than previous years.

Next year we'll still have Paulo, and Mahoney might still have to play 80 every week, but he'll be a year older and tougher, and Alvaro will be back to his best weight. Campbell-Gillard is an excellent middle defender as well. Our defence might not be premiership standard but it'll be better. Our attack is already great.
If Ricky Stuart can get a poor defending team to become one of the best in one off-season than why can't BA?

Eelementary

Post Whore
I haven't looked it up but I highly doubt we were in the top 8 for defence in 2017. If you remember right we only had a positive F & A for the last 2 games.

True - but that is mostly because of one or two blow out results.

Our goal-line defence in 2017 was largely very good.

Eelementary

Post Whore
He is our back up half. If Dylan or Noses copped a long term injury he may get a good run. If plays well another club may pick him up.
Unsure his position. Big kid so it's open. But doesnt seem to be tough enough for forwards. I'm unsure coaching staff are even sure. He played a bit of centre but mainly halves this season.

Personally, I would groom Salmon as a ball-playing 13.

Glenneel

Bench
Yep. That's a game where we only had 41% of the ball in the second half. Conceding that much possession is self-inflicted, and basically stems from inexperience.
Did the same in the Storm final in the first half. We had 9 sets and completed 3, they had 20 and completed 18. But this is not new and points to our poor leadership. We appear to be playing frantic and someone needs to stand up and get us to settle down, forget the score and work on our systems to regain composure. Once we start doing that we'll become a premiership force. Need Cronk to work with our halves as he always appears calm under pressure.

Gronk

Staff member
Actually we have Rhys Davies in the top 30 too. Hence why Bondi-odo (sp) jumped ship to the dogs.