What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Happy MEel

First Grade
I reckon he’s a gun player but a bit of a hog, the amount of time he continually stifles the attack in the opposition 20m drives me nuts.
I dare say that it’s a tactic BA has developed to try and get a quick play the ball. However, Nrown rarely creates a quick play the ball in those scenarios because he is most effective off the back of a quick play the ball, rather than being the player to create one. He also doesn’t possess the size or effective offload to draw too many defenders in to create overlaps on the edges.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Where do I say 5 years was great. We signed him on less then what he was on at the Panthers and probably less then what he would have gotten if he was playing anywhere near his best form. So it should be a great signing. Will it be great for the full 5 years? Who knows, the odds are against it, but who knows? The point of his signing is to get the best available front rower on offer that won't bust the bank and that should play well during the next 2-3 years, which most of us here and the club probably think are our Premiership window.

So I'm sure that most, when viewing his signing under that scenario, would agree it is a great signing.

Absolutely - RCG, at his best, is a Rep-level prop, and we got Penrith to chip in for his contract.

Very, very astute work there by the club.

Eelementary

Post Whore
One week to go before team list tuesday. Hooray.

The top 13 pick themselves with Blake apparently fit for round 1 and Sivo not suspended so only contentious decisions are who'll make up the bench. The bench I think BA will pick is:
Evans
Niukore, both automatic picks.
Think BA will pick Alvero, can be a bit of a plodder but is good defender and slowly developing an offload. Kaufusi will be next if Alvero not picked imo. Hope Terepo (always at least 1 error a game) not picked.
Final pick will be Stone as a backup to Mahoney. If not picked think Taka will be the player.
What do you think?

I reckon our bench will be

Takairangi
Alvaro
Evans
Niukore

TheRon

Juniors
We never discussed how we signed RCG to a 5yrs deal.
I would never sign a forward for more then 3yrs. At some point this will bite us on bum. Hopefully only the 5th year.
RCG's 4th year is a player option and his final year is a club option.

unknown.png

Where do I say 5 years was great. We signed him on less then what he was on at the Panthers and probably less then what he would have gotten if he was playing anywhere near his best form. So it should be a great signing. Will it be great for the full 5 years? Who knows, the odds are against it, but who knows? The point of his signing is to get the best available front rower on offer that won't bust the bank and that should play well during the next 2-3 years, which most of us here and the club probably think are our Premiership window.

So I'm sure that most, when viewing his signing under that scenario, would agree it is a great signing.

Where did I say that you thought 5 years was great? I'm just saying that, notwithstanding the knowledge that it was a 5 year deal, you thought he was a good signing. I agree with you.

Stevie

Bench
One week to go before team list tuesday. Hooray.

The top 13 pick themselves with Blake apparently fit for round 1 and Sivo not suspended so only contentious decisions are who'll make up the bench. The bench I think BA will pick is:
Evans
Niukore, both automatic picks.
Think BA will pick Alvero, can be a bit of a plodder but is good defender and slowly developing an offload. Kaufusi will be next if Alvero not picked imo. Hope Terepo (always at least 1 error a game) not picked.
Final pick will be Stone as a backup to Mahoney. If not picked think Taka will be the player.
What do you think?

I think that's a lot of thinking.

Stevie

Bench
Brown over rated? You got to be f**king kidding me I reckon he is under rated by most if anything.

If he ends up with the ball each 4th tackle its because that's what BA wants him to be doing! Its not as if he successfully overcalls the coach and both halves each 4th tackle by some cunning plan...

I think you are pretty hard judges... I'd shudder to see some of our previous years results if he wasn't the first mad merkin into a tackle trying to bash people most games.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I dare say that it’s a tactic BA has developed to try and get a quick play the ball. However, Nrown rarely creates a quick play the ball in those scenarios because he is most effective off the back of a quick play the ball, rather than being the player to create one. He also doesn’t possess the size or effective offload to draw too many defenders in to create overlaps on the edges.
BA tactically is still pretty ordinary for a bloke coming into his 7th season.

I mean his continually obsession with playing someone like Stone at dummy half is just dumb.