What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Obscene Assassin

First Grade
Brown over rated? You got to be f**king kidding me I reckon he is under rated by most if anything.

If he ends up with the ball each 4th tackle its because that's what BA wants him to be doing! Its not as if he successfully overcalls the coach and both halves each 4th tackle by some cunning plan...

I think you are pretty hard judges... I'd shudder to see some of our previous years results if he wasn't the first mad merkin into a tackle trying to bash people most games.

When Brown was injured the player taking our 4th tackle hit-up setting up for the kick was Gutherson.

Happy MEel

First Grade
When Brown was injured the player taking our 4th tackle hit-up setting up for the kick was Gutherson.
Another odd choice. I reckon Niukore or even RCG would be better options as they have more size and so should be able to find their front more so than Brown (and Gutho).

Last edited:

Happy MEel

First Grade
Sets up a quick play the ball?
I don’t reckon he or Brown set up quick play the balls unless the preceding play the ball is quick. This hardly ever happens when we’re attacking the opponent’s line, yet we persist with a slow 4th tackle settler. We’re better off having a big bopper taking a massive run up and hitting their line at a hundred miles an hour. It’s less likely to result in a dominant tackle where they can hold us up. Momentum will hopefully allow our runner to poke through their line and find his front for a quicker play the ball.

TheRam

Coach
Where did I say that you thought 5 years was great? I'm just saying that, notwithstanding the knowledge that it was a 5 year deal, you thought he was a good signing. I agree with you.

Well Hindy, your BoB mate Rammy thought that the signing of RCG on a 5 year deal was great, and you liked to the post.

Here...merkin.

Are you having a seniors moment? If so sorry old man and you're not a merkin. Merkin.

84 Baby

Referee
I don’t reckon he or Brown set up quick play the balls unless the preceding play the ball is quick. This hardly ever happens when we’re attacking the opponent’s line, yet we persist with a slow 4th tackle settler. We’re better off having a big bopper taking a massive run up and hitting their line at a hundred miles an hour. It’s less likely to result in a dominant tackle where they can hold us up. Momentum will hopefully allow our runner to poke through their line and find his front for a quicker play the ball.
It’s situation recognition. I think BA probably has implemented to take pressure off Mahoney. Ideally if we get a quick play the ball, we want a quicker player taking the next run (Nrown, Gunco or any of the other backs) as they can get to and over the advantage line quicker, reducing defence rest time and bunching the ruck defence. But we also need to consider what we are trying to setup, don’t want a quick mindless run to the side we were looking to stretch.
And then yeah if we have a slow play the ball, a bigger forward with a more naturally quick play the ball (Jnr/RCG) might be a better go to. But it’s not an absolute, the player might play it ridiculously quickly, but if he isn’t forcing the defence line back then it’s not necessarily better

Happy MEel

First Grade
It’s situation recognition. I think BA probably has implemented to take pressure off Mahoney. Ideally if we get a quick play the ball, we want a quicker player taking the next run (Nrown, Gunco or any of the other backs) as they can get to and over the advantage line quicker, reducing defence rest time and bunching the ruck defence. But we also need to consider what we are trying to setup, don’t want a quick mindless run to the side we were looking to stretch.
And then yeah if we have a slow play the ball, a bigger forward with a more naturally quick play the ball (Jnr/RCG) might be a better go to. But it’s not an absolute, the player might play it ridiculously quickly, but if he isn’t forcing the defence line back then it’s not necessarily better
Yep agree with all of this. I was pretty much referring to those inevitable 4th tackle settlers that seem to slow the play the ball when we’re in attacking zones. I think that’s what some people have a problem with (me included). Anywhere else on the field it’s imperative to get to your kick so give it to whoever is less likely to drop it. If that’s Brown or Gutho then so be it. I’m ok with anyone taking ownership of this job, as long as it’s not penis hands.

hindy111

Post Whore
Yeah, maybe - Kaufusi has trimmed down, but is definitely mobile enough, and agile enough, to cover Alvaro's spot, while still retaining his power.

He really impressed me in the trial.

It is just a gut feeling. It would make a big powerfull bench with Nikauore,KE Kafusi and Taka

TheRam

Coach
So do most sides

So true and since we had the number one attack last year, that is hardly our problem.

I still feel our defense is ordinary after watching the boys go around in the trials. I know he isn't popular with many here, but I would be including Alvaro on the bench for sure after what I saw so far in the trials.

If my fear is unfounded and the boys have truly found some steel in defense right across the board and we can afford to drop Alvaro because he isn't offering much in attack, then sure elevate one of the juniors to see what they can do.

But before we stack our bench with just power runners, lets see what we dish up this season in defense.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
Moses’ first try gives me hope. Don’t want to project but it was a very Andrew Johns style try
Yep nice little show and go, and then with the chip. Hope we see more of it, I love the fact the Brown seems to have running as his first option which makes him more dangerous.

84 Baby

Referee
Yep nice little show and go, and then with the chip. Hope we see more of it, I love the fact the Brown seems to have running as his first option which makes him more dangerous.
I like it too but he needs more in his repertoire then run->short pass to Lane or give to Lane->wait on his inside for offload. He has no combination with Sivo, Moses or Gunco at the moment (he’s only played shit all games)

hineyrulz

Post Whore
I like it too but he needs more in his repertoire then run->short pass to Lane or give to Lane->wait on his inside for offload. He has no combination with Sivo, Moses or Gunco at the moment (he’s only played shit all games)
Isn’t they why we brought Johns in??? It’s up too the coaching staff to expand his game IMO. He has all the tools to be an elite level Half.

Eelementary

Post Whore
So true and since we had the number one attack last year, that is hardly our problem.

I still feel our defense is ordinary after watching the boys go around in the trials. I know he isn't popular with many here, but I would be including Alvaro on the bench for sure after what I saw so far in the trials.

If my fear is unfounded and the boys have truly found some steel in defense right across the board and we can afford to drop Alvaro because he isn't offering much in attack, then sure elevate one of the juniors to see what they can do.

But before we stack our bench with just power runners, lets see what we dish up this season in defense.

Imo, Alvaro walks into our side for his work ethic, and defence.

We have better attacking players, but I don't think we have any better defenders than Alvaro, in terms of both quantity, and quality.

Gronk

Staff member

Yeah, "give it to Lane" is getting a tad predictable.

Soto

Bench

When we are defending we look good when the opposition is 50m out. When they are 20m out we look all at sea. Very worrying how many teams last year and now for several years scored from inside our 20 particularly from penalties ... our 20m and goal line defence needs to improve massively if we are to be a genuine contender. We now have our best starting lineup and possibly top 20-22 in the last 25-30 years..