What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

emjaycee

Coach
Dogs want DWZ gone. I'd snap him up.
Aslong as they chip in. We prob have our backline set for next year so perhaps not needed. But would be perfect for 2022.... Thou other options will come along.
DWZ sees himself as a fullback... that's why the Dogs are ok if he moves on.

hindy111

Post Whore
Fair enough.

I disagree.

I guess it depends how you rate players.

I'd have elite as your Tedesco,Turbo Toms. We currently do not have elite player.
Then next level is just below elite would be Guthersons,Jnr Paulo, N.Brown level.
Above average is Blake,Mahoney,Moses....
Average id put Sivo, Niakuore, Taka, Evans
Below average would be GJ, Gower. They can play NRLbut not going to effect the squad

emjaycee

Coach
Ryan Morgan was a below average first grader as was Sio. At peak they reached Average first grade level.
Above average first graders last 10 seasons. Like Kyle Feldt and will always have a contract through career. Average first graders I'd say are guys like Tim Lafai who get 10yrs in the NRL but bit of journeymen. But always a club willing to take them....

Ken Sio has a contract in the UK Super League that will see him reach a consecutive 11 years in top grade professional rugby league. If that is your criteria for Feldt, then Sio is also above average.

emjaycee

Coach

I'd have elite as your Tedesco,Turbo Toms. We currently do not have elite player.
Then next level is just below elite would be Guthersons,Jnr Paulo, N.Brown level.
Below average would be GJ, Gower. They can play NRLbut not going to effect the squad
Where do you put RCG?

emjaycee

Coach
It's embarrasing a club our size can't bring a back in the side of any quality atleast every 2 or 3 yrs.

In last 12yrs

Ryan Morgan,K.Sio, Cheyse Blair,VaiToutai,Wiliame, SEMI, Farimo,Falou, French,Davis, Parry.....

So a heap of NSW cup quality back ups. And a superstar.... Take out Semi and that list is embarrasing. Not one guy capable of 10yrs in the NRL. A few back up level players at best.
Psst, Dylan Brown says Hi.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Tafua must be a while ago. Neither played a game for club.
We have developed forwards and other positions but for some reason struggled in backs.
Both within the last ten years. And as I said, we've had problems with junior retention, mostly because we've been desperate to get quality and experience into the top 17.

hindy111

Post Whore
Ken Sio has a contract in the UK Super League that will see him reach a consecutive 11 years in top grade professional rugby league. If that is your criteria for Feldt, then Sio is also above average.

The UK super league. Didn't Hasting become a super star there and Albert Kelly?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Agree..
Hopefully we start to see some young guns come through.
We have done ok in the fwds and there are some earmarked to come through next year and the next few years.
However if you don't have good quality coming through you need to have good backups.
Thats why Bevan French would be a good addition.
I like what the Knights did in signing Tuala and Shibasaki...both had a taste of first grade and are decent up and comers. Now they are taking their opportunities.
Need to keep adding to your squad. Injuries, form and suspensions play a massive part.
There may be some very good players on the lookout.
Alex Johnson, DWZ, French.
Even Pangai Jnr. He needs a change of environment. Pangai and DWZ would also potentially be subsidised by their current clubs.
Notwithstanding next year Evans, Terepo, Gower, maybe Alvaro wont be with us surely that allows us to make a big play for Christian Welch.
If those depth forwards are leaving it'll be because we can't afford to keep them, not because we're going to make a big play for some merkin on $500k or more.

Eelementary

Post Whore

Fair enough.

I'm not saying Sio and Morgan were brilliant, but they were decent players, playing in a horrible squad, under dreadful coaches.

In my opinion, we have two players in our squad that could be classed as elite, or almost elite - Junior Paulo, and Ryan Matterson.

emjaycee

Coach
Both within the last ten years. And as I said, we've had problems with junior retention, mostly because we've been desperate to get quality and experience into the top 17.
In 2010 we debuted 8 players for the club, including Tom Humble in the backs. Our back line that year included Tahu, Hayne, Reddy, Inu, Burt, K Keating and Guru Jnr. It is hard to debut players when they arent better than the incumbents.
In 2011 we debuted 17 players for the club, including 3 local backs (Morgan, Sio and Loko).
In 2012 we debuted 8 players, but Kearney had no clue about juniors and was buying also rans.
In 2013 we had Ricky a coach. What else can I say.

Those 4 years cost us alot of juniors as they went elsewhere when not given a go by Kearney or Stuart.
Everyone in the club knows it and admits it. BA has had to rebuild it from the ground up, starting with Under 11's in 2014.

emjaycee

Coach
At what age did matto come into our system? He played in the Canterbury comp with Bankstown bulls.
I think he was 17 when he joined our NYC squad from Bankstown Bulls, but he played for Wenty before joining the Bulls.

Edit:
I grew up at Wentworthville and played junior footy for Wenty Magpies and then the Bankstown Bulls. I was a Parramatta junior and the Eels signed me as I was entering my last year of school.

I started filling out and put on about 12 kilos in six months. I went from SG Ball to the under-20s in the same year.

Source: https://www.athletesvoice.com.au/ryan-matterson-dads-priceless-note-of-advice/

Last edited:

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
In 2010 we debuted 8 players for the club, including Tom Humble in the backs. Our back line that year included Tahu, Hayne, Reddy, Inu, Burt, K Keating and Guru Jnr. It is hard to debut players when they arent better than the incumbents.
In 2011 we debuted 17 players for the club, including 3 local backs (Morgan, Sio and Loko).
In 2012 we debuted 8 players, but Kearney had no clue about juniors and was buying also rans.
In 2013 we had Ricky a coach. What else can I say.

Those 4 years cost us alot of juniors as they went elsewhere when not given a go by Kearney or Stuart.
Everyone in the club knows it and admits it. BA has had to rebuild it from the ground up, starting with Under 11's in 2014.
It's easy to blame coaches for shit when you're not considering all the factors influencing their decisions. The fact is we lacked experience, and talented juniors don't offer anything in that area. You have to buy it from outside, and that can cost you juniors.