What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Foran's now just a busted older version of Drown, complete with no upside.

If you were looking to improve depth, and get a guy with experience to help develop your starting halves he'd be a good pick up, but you'd want him on backup money, You'd have to be fairly desperate to sign him on as a starting half.
He has played well this year. Better than Drown. His problem is missing too many games.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Parra spends a fortune on our juniors for very little reward. In the 7 years since BA has been at club how many juniors have made the NRL? Some with other clubs, so our identification of future NRL players has been extremely poor, but none comes to mind that have been great losses. Did Junior debut during BAs tenure? Matterson had to go elsewhere and then nobody, the well goes dry. Extremely poor spending by the club and Bevan French seems to have been a victim of the process. Imagine him in the Roosters, Panthers or Storm system.
Developing juniors isn't about guaranteeing them a spot in your top 17. It's about giving yourself options to maximise your use of the salary cap.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
You don't know that but their systems appear to prepare players to be better. Matterson improved in Roosters system as did Flanaghan (and his goal kicking). And nearly all players improve in Storm system.
Former Eels Luke Kelly, Kirisome Auva'a and Billy Rogers came from the Storm system.

They also have massive advantages in retention because they are the only NRL club in Melbourne. So once players (and their wives and kids) are established there they're more likely to stay for unders. Meanwhile, if you play for Parra there are at least half a dozen clubs within a short (for Sydney) drive from wherever you live. Ferguson and Salmon drive past three other clubs on the way to training. This also explains why we've been able to poach so many Panthers juniors; they don't have to move house and might only add 20 minutes to their commute.

84 Baby

Referee
Former Eels Luke Kelly, Kirisome Auva'a and Billy Rogers came from the Storm system.

They also have massive advantages in retention because they are the only NRL club in Melbourne. So once players (and their wives and kids) are established there they're more likely to stay for unders. Meanwhile, if you play for Parra there are at least half a dozen clubs within a short (for Sydney) drive from wherever you live. Ferguson and Salmon drive past three other clubs on the way to training. This also explains why we've been able to poach so many Panthers juniors; they don't have to move house and might only add 20 minutes to their commute.
Reckon this played a part in the move to Kellyville. There’s less “nice” areas around Parra, but Hills has heap of nice spots. Some of the houses being built practically next door to training are really f**ken nice. Gronk elitist level nice

Avenger

Immortal
We travelled the world and built wealth as double income no kids. As a result we have a nice home and the kids went to private schools.

If we had kids 10 years earlier I reckon we'd be still playing catchup footy.
I did all that too. Took the kids with me and finished making more by 30.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I'm not bagging the appointment of A.Johns, I'm just saying that something just isn't right in our coaching structures and the evidence is there for all to see for a while now but it was temporarily disguised due to our at times stellar first 10 rounds of this season.

But since then we have gone back to our bad habits that have been plaguing us for many seasons no matter who has been in the squad. Yes our defense has improved somewhat due to a dogged focus on it by the coach and players, but it is hardly a ruthless and brick wall type of defense and often gets exposed when playing a team that is on their game in attack.

Add to that when we tried focusing on our attack just for a week, our defense totally collapsed. Wow, what the "F" is that all about? How the hell do players that are drilled in defensive patterns day in, day out for months on end just forget what should be mussel memory and instinctive by this stage when they don't focus on it for a week?
Because 'focus on attack' translated to playing risky footy and not respecting possession. We gave Souths all the ball and also didn't want to defend it.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Lol catchup footy. You don’t think that sounds rather elitist when you are referring to private schooling and travelling the world?
Kids definitely miss out from having old parents, things like mental and physical health, lack of emotional bonding with them, and older parents just have less time, energy and patience. The upside is they usually have more money, which translates to more opportunity. This leads to a world where the best connected, most privileged young people are all confused, angry and fragile. I'm hoping my kids don't go the same way but I can already see their peers are all going to turn out like that. The poor bastards don't stand a chance.

Gronk

Staff member
Lol catchup footy. You don’t think that sounds rather elitist when you are referring to private schooling and travelling the world?

Would you prefer that I said I lived in housos and camp down by the Murrumbidgee ? Would that make you feel less uncomfortable ?

Latest posts