What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

hindy111

Post Whore
He’d offer us more than Taylor. He’s no world beater but he’s solid and seems to be improving.

I just don’t like signing blokes who are well past their best hoping to play another season or two just to avoid going out and getting a real job. Think Prichard, Fa’aso and T Rex for starters.

Waller,Carl webb,Ben Robert's,Whatuira....
The list goes on...Doesn't work.

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
This will continue our current system.
I'd target guys under 20 with potential. 17-20ylds. And back ups should be guys who are good enough to be in our under 20s side and maybe NSW cup.

Personaly I'd try and move Fergo and Sivo on. Atleast one though. And see what quality we can find.

Nathaniel Roache from warriors might be a handy pick up if stays fit. Kid can play.

How many young players with inexperience do you need in the squad?

We already have rookies / youngsters Dunster , Hughes and Schneider, a back / forward/ spine player who are all good chance of playing NRL next year (2 are already confirmed top 30).

plus we have Arthur (half back)as a development player in 2021 and potentially Hollis along with a couple others.

Squads need a balance of youth / experience and we have plenty of youth/rookies.

Eelementary

Post Whore
remember when we signed Ian Gately? Paul Clarke? Even Cameron Blair.....what was the club thinking!!

oh yeah they were signed as starting players......

Jason Taylor in 2001
Paul Stringer in 2005
Joe Galuvao in 2009

For every "over the hill" old player we sign, there's bound to be a decent one in there.

I'm no fan of Elijah Taylor, but if we were to sign him, maybe he would play like a man with a point to prove, and he definitely would not cost much.

Eelementary

Post Whore
Not keen on Asiata, appears a soft player to me but like Blore. Still like Charlie Stains at fullback and Gutho to centre to replace Waqa until he learns to tackle.

Actually I don't remember Waqa being this poor in D with the Panfers. Can anyone enlighten me?

Waqa Blake was always a poor defender.

I think the Panthers usually put him on the wing in defence.

Mr Parramatta

Juniors
Not keen on Asiata, appears a soft player to me but like Blore. Still like Charlie Stains at fullback and Gutho to centre to replace Waqa until he learns to tackle.

Actually I don't remember Waqa being this poor in D with the Panfers. Can anyone enlighten me?
Agree regarding Blake, I thought he looked a lot better at Panthers, not so good for us, I’m quite surprised how poor he’s been, I don’t think he has helped Ferguson’s game either.

Gronk

Staff member

Wait you want to move one of the games best fullbacks out his preferred position and put in a rookie in the spine ? Have you even seen him play fullback ?

Glenneel

Bench
Wait you want to move one of the games best fullbacks out his preferred position and put in a rookie in the spine ? Have you even seen him play fullback ?
No but I hadn't seen Slater or Papenhuyzen play either, both turned out ok. Was Papenhuyzen a Parra junior as played his junior league in our backyard?

We lack genuine speed and will probably never win the comp unless we have it. Imo Gutho will improve the team at centre (replacing Blake) and roving around in attack as another halfback. Staines has genuine speed and from what I've been told has excelled at fb in the junior system and with the Panfers. In 2019 he was NSWRL Jersey Flegg Player of the Year so can't be too bad.

Storm have been strong for years by playing with a simple formula of big tough forwards and fast backs. Bellamy is ruthless and quickly changes his personnel if they don't perform almost immediately. Brodie Croft, AJ Brimson, Scott Drinkwater are just some of the players he has let go as they didn't fit their system.

Last edited:

84 Baby

Referee
Still happy to blame club management and BA for not signing players I’ve never seen and so have no idea if they are actually any good

Gronk

Staff member
No but I hadn't seen Slater or Papenhuyzen play either, both turned out ok.
So every fast small guy will be as good as Slater etc ? I don't get your logic.

Was Papenhuyzen a Parra junior as played his junior league in our backyard?
Balmain S G Ball. Storm offered him and Drinkwater to every club a few years back, but could only get interest in Drinkwater. Are you trying to say that us not having Papenhuyzen in our roster is an Eels fail ?

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
His edge days are well behind him and every time I have see him at dummy half he reminds me of Kenny Edwards. That leaves the middle which we are well stocked in especially if the Asiata rumours are true. The guy is on bald tires and struggled to make a bog average Tigers pack even with all their injuries. It’s a signing a shit club like the Dogs would make. Not a team challenging for the title.
No the Dogs would pay overs for solid first graders like Napa and DWZ.

Delboy

First Grade
Papenhuyzen played at Kellyville and Hills, then went to Oakhill College to play union ( same path as Keary) , then played at Dundas when offered a trial at Balmain . Did his knee playing U20s and Tigers showed little interest, Storm took a punt and he has done very well.

By the way, AJ Brimson never had anything to do with the Storm, went straight from school into Titans system.

84 Baby

Referee
He may well have, he’s shown he’s more than just a back up the last month.
He could quite easily go to shit in any given game though. I like him and def would’ve offered him an upgraded contract. But given the way it’s gone, if he’s off to Moanly then they’ve definitely offered more than we thought he’s worth

hindy111

Post Whore
How many young players with inexperience do you need in the squad?

We already have rookies / youngsters Dunster , Hughes and Schneider, a back / forward/ spine player who are all good chance of playing NRL next year (2 are already confirmed top 30).

plus we have Arthur (half back)as a development player in 2021 and potentially Hollis along with a couple others.

Squads need a balance of youth / experience and we have plenty of youth/rookies.

Our nrl size is very experienced
D.Brown is least and still has two years of NRL under belt.
Most have 5-10