What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
Looks like the tide is turning against the cancel mob. Woke corporates will be shitting themselves trying to keep up with the latest outrage fashion.
Nice try, the tide hasn’t turned at all. We’re not talking about social norms here, it’s the law.

You use the term woke as a derogatory term, however that’s a mistep. If it means that people are present and mindful of others, then those with the opposing view must be insular and indifferent to others and give zero f**ks. Oh look, I just defined a conservative.

hineyrulz

Post Whore
#1 ... i have always been amazed that people who firmly believe god/heaven/hell/the holy goat/etc is total horse shit get so offended if someone says you are going to hell .... why be offended by something you think is fake rubbish?

#2 ... he said i'm going to hell too .... there were about 10 things on his list and ive done about half of em .... seems most of us are going to hell ..... pfffft, see you all there for a beer
We support Parra, we’ve been in hell for over 30 years.

Gronk

Staff member
#1 ... i have always been amazed that people who firmly believe god/heaven/hell/the holy goat/etc is total horse shit get so offended if someone says you are going to hell .... why be offended by something you think is fake rubbish?

#2 ... he said i'm going to hell too .... there were about 10 things on his list and ive done about half of em .... seems most of us are going to hell ..... pfffft, see you all there for a beer

No, he said that you’d go to hell unless you repent (express remorse). How do you think homosexuals do that ? Maybe we should send them to one of those Gay Conversion Camps ?

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-11-08/victoria-moves-to-ban-gay-conversion-practices/12851294

upload_2021-2-4_7-21-7.jpeg

Twizzle

Administrator
Staff member

good question

for mine its not that it offends me at all, its that I despise the catholic church and its hypocritic actions and brain washing

I went to good old St Pats at Parra and then Marist Bros where we had the teachings rammed down our throat, we were tested on it and we were told that if we so much as had bad thoughts we would burn in hell and so many kids are brain washed as young as 5 years old going bed absolutely scared to death and more, about how they were going to be punished and suffer for simply doing things that normal children do.

There was no encouragement to believe, it was motivation by fear and basically forced us to believe, rather than give us the option when we reached the age or reason, which is why I refer to it as brain washing.

This, so called God, "said give up your earthly goods and follow me", so the catholic church can become one of the richest organizations in the world. Wealth obviously means a lot to them.

The bible was written in Hebrew which in some cases cannot be directly translated to English so the church cherry picks the bits it likes and calls it their bible, and some parts they didn't like thy ignored.

The argument could be made as to whether Jesus Christ existed but as for God ? pfffft

hindy111

Post Whore
The LBGTQ community or LBGT activists? I’d be very careful in conflating the two.

He’s entitled to say what he said. I think it was a stupid thing to say but you can’t stop people saying stupid things just because you don’t agree with them.

The irony is that some people who argue that it’s ‘vilification’, ‘inciting hatred’ etc. are very quick to dismiss groups of people when it suits them (e.g. Catholics). One should be careful what they wish for when seeking to limit free speech!

As for the NRL, if a club weighs it up and decides to sign him they do so with an awareness of the reputation risk it carries. The NRL shouldn’t step in stop a club from making that decision when he hasn’t broken any laws (real or imagined).

Agree. It seems fine to mock someones religious beliefs and inteligence for following it.
It also seems fine to knock succesfull people and label them capitalist pigs.
Baby boomers cop it all the time by half these groups.

hindy111

Post Whore
good question

for mine its not that it offends me at all, its that I despise the catholic church and its hypocritic actions and brain washing

I went to good old St Pats at Parra and then Marist Bros where we had the teachings rammed down our throat, we were tested on it and we were told that if we so much as had bad thoughts we would burn in hell and so many kids are brain washed as young as 5 years old going bed absolutely scared to death and more, about how they were going to be punished and suffer for simply doing things that normal children do.

There was no encouragement to believe, it was motivation by fear and basically forced us to believe, rather than give us the option when we reached the age or reason, which is why I refer to it as brain washing.

This, so called God, "said give up your earthly goods and follow me", so the catholic church can become one of the richest organizations in the world. Wealth obviously means a lot to them.

The bible was written in Hebrew which in some cases cannot be directly translated to English so the church cherry picks the bits it likes and calls it their bible, and some parts they didn't like thy ignored.

The argument could be made as to whether Jesus Christ existed but as for God ? pfffft

Agree. I was one of these kids who would have nightmares. But it didn't stop me doing bad things. I was a merkin of a kid. And when the devil never came to take me away to hell I realised he didn't exist by about age 8 or 9. And refused to go to church. It was boring.
But I have no problem with religion at all. Gives a lot of people hope. And you do not need to listen to them. Just ignore it.
People like to think without religion the world would be far more peacefull. I'm not convinced on that. Hope and faith is keeping many people going. It could become a wild jungle.

Gronk

Staff member
The LBGTQ community or LBGT activists? I’d be very careful in conflating the two.

He’s entitled to say what he said. I think it was a stupid thing to say but you can’t stop people saying stupid things just because you don’t agree with them.

The irony is that some people who argue that it’s ‘vilification’, ‘inciting hatred’ etc. are very quick to dismiss groups of people when it suits them (e.g. Catholics). One should be careful what they wish for when seeking to limit free speech!

As for the NRL, if a club weighs it up and decides to sign him they do so with an awareness of the reputation risk it carries. The NRL shouldn’t step in stop a club from making that decision when he hasn’t broken any laws (real or imagined).

Everyone thinks that they are the sensible centre, but they're not. They too easily dismiss cases for the expansion of social norms to includes others. More often than not, they are people who themselves have never experienced discrimination or vilification themselves.

Atticus (TKAM) was right when he said “You never really understand a person until you consider things from his point of view – until you climb into his skin and walk around in it.”

IFR33K

Coach
good question

Sounds like you were in a concentration camp and not a school. We were educated in catholic schools and not “forced or feared” as you claim.

As for your Hebrew comments, it’s safe to assume you’ve read the Bible both in Hebrew and English to make that statement.

religion has been around for far longer than RL, and Izzy didn’t single out the gays.

it’s amazing how religions can be battered pillar to post, yet if someone mentions the words faggg, pooofter, fagggot amongst others, how much uproar it creates.

Last edited:

Gronk

Staff member
it’s amazing how religions can be battered pillar to post, yet if someone mentions the words faggg, pooofter, fagggot amongst others, how much uproar it creates.

Religions cop it when they deserve it. They are not untouchable and should never be excluded from scrutiny. You don't want to be battered from pillar to post ? Then don't be moral crusaders whilst you are protecting peodophiles and shifting assets into trusts. Don't be seeking charitable tax exemptions whilst developing 500 apartments in Rosebery. Don't grift in the name of religion to fund your private jet. Don't be a bigot and promote falsehoods about shit that's not it's not even in your book. Don't kill others that don't support your views. Don't place one gender ahead of another. Don't banish those from your family who turn against your book.

Yes you can say "not all Christians / Muslims / Mormans / JWs / Scientologists / Evangelists" but there is mostly good reason for society to call out hypocrisy when they see it.

Glenneel

Bench
Izzys view of hell is the traditional view which isn't actually Biblical at all, it's an English translation for greek and Hebrew words which taken in their original context don't mean an eternity of torture, in fact having a better understanding of Biblical language and writing styles would help. Hades is the greek word for the Hebrew word Sheol which means the place of the dead = grave. Gehenna is a word Jesus used about a coming judgement on Israel and was a literal place outside of Jeruselum that had a major historical reference to the Israelites. Later on English translators used the word 'Hell' which had it's own meaning was translated over these words and thus we have what we have today. So if Hell is literally the grave, then we're heading there.
Like your take on the bible and those that take the literal meaning are poorly educated fools. Even biblical scholars, the genuine ones not the American bigots, state that many things in the bible are not what they say as often the early translators misconstrued what was written. And there is plenty of evidence in excavations that the Hebrew God had a wife. And those that say the bible was written by God are equally dumb. It was written by man and I've no doubt many of the passages were written to express the church's view at that time and not actually what was written.

Glenneel

Bench
I like the tigers side this year. I reckon its a smokie for the top 8.
All the 'experts' have them as the wooden spooners. Probably only because they can't fit them into top 8 and then they look at the improvements made by the bottom 8 teams and keep bumping them down until they're no.16.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Nice try, the tide hasn’t turned at all. We’re not talking about social norms here, it’s the law.

You use the term woke as a derogatory term, however that’s a mistep. If it means that people are present and mindful of others, then those with the opposing view must be insular and indifferent to others and give zero f**ks. Oh look, I just defined a conservative.
We know the woke aren't concerned about injustice because they don't give a f**k about the literally least privileged people in society - the poor.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Like your take on the bible and those that take the literal meaning are poorly educated fools. Even biblical scholars, the genuine ones not the American bigots, state that many things in the bible are not what they say as often the early translators misconstrued what was written. And there is plenty of evidence in excavations that the Hebrew God had a wife. And those that say the bible was written by God are equally dumb. It was written by man and I've no doubt many of the passages were written to express the church's view at that time and not actually what was written.
I think it's clear that Christians pick and choose which parts of the Bible are relevant, so the argument that they are brainwashed by a book is bullshit. If it was only written by men, as you say, then the ideas existed before the book. The ideas themselves are fundamental to the human mind.

parra pete

Referee
If Izzy does not fulfil his contract with Catlans - does that make him a LIAR???and so breaches one of his own 'guidelines"...Jesus Saves.jpg

IFR33K

Coach
Religions cop it when they deserve it. They are not untouchable and should never be excluded from scrutiny. You don't want to be battered from pillar to post ? Then don't be moral crusaders whilst you are protecting peodophiles and shifting assets into trusts. Don't be seeking charitable tax exemptions whilst developing 500 apartments in Rosebery. Don't grift in the name of religion to fund your private jet. Don't be a bigot and promote falsehoods about shit that's not it's not even in your book. Don't kill others that don't support your views. Don't place one gender ahead of another. Don't banish those from your family who turn against your book.

Yes you can say "not all Christians / Muslims / Mormans / JWs / Scientologists / Evangelists" but there is mostly good reason for society to call out hypocrisy when they see it.

Sorry mate, I’m not protecting no peodo’s. Nor can I say my church has been involved in any such conspiracies. I’m not doubting it’s never happened, but f^*k me labeling all priests as peodo’s or the church as a ‘Rich corrupt organization’ is ludicrous. As is saying religious people are stupid in believing in an imaginary friend. Because religion gives people hope, faith and a way of life. If people choose to not believe that’s their choice.

T.S Quint

Coach
Sorry mate, I’m not protecting no peodo’s. Nor can I say my church has been involved in any such conspiracies. I’m not doubting it’s never happened, but f^*k me labeling all priests as peodo’s or the church as a ‘Rich corrupt organization’ is ludicrous. As is saying religious people are stupid in believing in an imaginary friend. Because religion gives people hope, faith and a way of life. If people choose to not believe that’s their choice.

The Catholic Church is definitely a rich organization . And there’s been revealed to be a lot of corruption within it. Would you agree?

Snoochies

First Grade
I do take the Bible literally in a sense what the original writers where trying to convey. What we get is a snap shot or an opportunity to look through the lense of those living in the first Century describing their faith and what they are witnessing. As far as authenticity, we have very early copies of the greek to which to fall back on, any translation should be translated directly from the greek and not a translation of the translation and to be fair the scriptural record is pretty much off the charts compared to other books/scribes of antiquity. It's hard to look at facts without bias though as we may find one piece of evidence such as the Hebrew God having a wife and thus pin our hopes on that to discredit it all without giving an equal or unbiased look and the plethora of evidence on the other side. Will we generally stick to the evidence that suits our bias initially.