What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
Well I'm not saying that what Hoops is reporting is 100% true, but surely it isn't that hard to pick up the phone for these guys and ask the players manager if the Panthers are still kicking in or has that part of the deal expired now and is null and void and that the Eels would be picking up full freight from year 20xx, right?

I don't see why a manager would need to lie or be duplicitous about that part of a contract.
Talking in terms of 'full freight' shows you're buying into the media narrative of winners/losers. The fact is that the size and duration of his ongoing Panthers payments are completely unrelated to the contracts he signed with whichever clubs he joined after agreeing to release Penrith from their contractual obligations. The fact it was us he joined doesn't mean we got any special advantage because we had to pay market price at the time of his Panthers release. The only exception would've been the extremely unlikely chance that Penrith would only agree to pay him out if he joined Parramatta.

Why did the Panthers agree to a payout at all? Because they were stuck paying him significant overs and needed cap space to re-sign their young forwards who just won them the comp. No doubt they had the opportunity to sign these guys on unders too. The reason RCG wanted a payout for agreeing to a release was because he knew he was on overs. The best offer - ours - was obviously less than what he was on there and RCG wanted what was promised, plus he knew he had them over a barrel. So they wanted him gone, he wanted a payout, and both parties agreed. The Panthers became a better team with the extra cap space, RCG got his money, and we became a better team with him shoring up our middle defence. Everybody won, and the Panthers didn't pay us a cent.

84 Baby

Referee
Except that it makes 100% sense that the option expiration date would have been October 31 2021 (or Nov 1). That way the player has to make a call on or before the dates that a) he can freely negotiate with other clubs for 2023, and b) his current club can negotiate with replacements for 2023. Any other specifc date would not make much sense to the party that granted (wrote) the option, and not make much more sense to the player. If he did not allow the option to lapse, other clubs could not formally approach him (as he would still be under contract for 2023). If the idea is that the clubs could approach him informally......then they could have done that at any time over the past year.

This is what his manager is quoted as saying back in mid-October:

Except every article about players weighing up options (see Matto early this year) says they have until round 13 of the preceding year to declare if they exercising option. How likely are the journalists to be wrong so many times? Or how likely is RCG to have a different expiration date?

hindy111

Post Whore
Everyone says Marata is gone. But everyone said RCG was gone.
With Matterson off contract we will have money

Joshuatheeel

Staff member
Everyone says Marata is gone. But everyone said RCG was gone.
With Matterson off contract we will have money
I wonder if Marata situation is more that he wants to go home to NZ to be with family rather then the actual money.

think him and his wife have a couple of kids and his wife has an illness….

hindy111

Post Whore
I wonder if Marata situation is more that he wants to go home to NZ to be with family rather then the actual money.

think him and his wife have a couple of kids and his wife has an illness….

It doesn't suggest she wants to go back thou. Id say many players agents talk about wanting to go to another state to increase value.

hindy111

Post Whore
I saw Tepai in juniors and he impress me big time. He had an offload and hit like a brick. No idea what happened to him.

the phantom menace

First Grade
He didn't allow it to lapse, he made public that the option wasn't acceptable and that he would go to market instead. The fact he signed a new contract instead of taking up the option makes it irrelevant. The new deal is obviously better than the player option.
Hi manager made it public... in an attempt to secure an offer from the Doplhins on 1 November to be a face of the franchise. Looks like Wayne didn't come through with the goods, and RCG simply decided to stay an Eel (with an extra year or two than was in the previous option)?

Avenger

Immortal
Who cares how we got there. RCG is easily in the top 5 props in the game and if we are able to also extend Paulo we have the two best starting props in the game.

Our forwards are brutal and our pack reminds me of the Dogs’ packs of the 80’s.

Forwards win the big games and most of them are peaking.

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I saw Tepai in juniors and he impress me big time. He had an offload and hit like a brick. No idea what happened to him.
Those old style hits require making contact with the shoulder, rather than the modern style of making first contact with the chest against the ball. But trying to make first contact with the shoulder risks an attacker putting on some footwork and ramming into your head. That happened to Moeroa more than once.

hindy111

Post Whore
Those old style hits require making contact with the shoulder, rather than the modern style of making first contact with the chest against the ball. But trying to make first contact with the shoulder risks an attacker putting on some footwork and ramming into your head. That happened to Moeroa more than once.

He was a big teddy bear. He come in same time as the Vicous fish. I said it then it be interesting who has the better career as both had similar talent imo. But Ram picked it immediately

yy_cheng

Coach
Or certain fullbacks who fall just after he offloads

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He was a big teddy bear. He come in same time as the Vicous fish. I said it then it be interesting who has the better career as both had similar talent imo. But Ram picked it immediately
Did he? TheRam only wanted big forwards. JFH is an example of how the game has evolved to suit smaller toilers with footwork. Moeroa is just an example of how injuries can dent a player's confidence. So is RCG for that matter.

Latest posts