What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Gronk

Staff member
The question though is, did he officially allow it to lapse? I'm not saying he didn't, but where is the proof? How would we know?
Bro you’re not grasping the concept of call options attached to contracts. The grantee under an option has to do certain things by a certain time. If that time passes, then he has elected not to exercise the call option. It’s a black & white legal situation. Absolutely zero grey area here.

You either do it or you don’t. Hence why his manager announced in every news channel available, that he wasn’t taking up his option - free agent for 2023+.

TheRam

Coach
I reckon if a player manager answered that question from a media person, there would be some breach of a confidentiality clause.
Can I get your bosses phone number and ring and ask him about your employment conditions?

Yeah that never happens. What about when managers want the media to do some selling for him in the press and spruik their clients, you think they don't offer up info? If the objective gets the manager and player what they are seeking, then I would suggest most players would have no objection. The main focus for a player is that his manager can get him the best deal possible as we have seen for example with Gutho and his negotiations.

84 Baby

Referee
Bro you’re not grasping the concept of call options attached to contracts. The grantee under an option has to do certain things by a certain time. If that time passes, then he has elected not to exercise the call option. It’s a black & white legal situation. Absolutely zero grey area here.

You either do it or you don’t. Hence why his manager announced in every news channel available, that he wasn’t taking up his option - free agent for 2023+.
I think you are also failing to grasp that RCG saying in the media he won’t be taking up the option isn’t the same as formally declining the option. It may have been his intention but without the timer expiring or a formal release, he’d still have a claim to take up the option.

TheRam

Coach
So we sign a promising youngster from a top club which you amongst others have suggested we should be doing, and suddenly it's too good to be true and he must have an attitude problem? Come on Ram. Credit where it is due rather than looking for ways to shit on the club.

Mate it was more a tongue and cheek comment. But only because we don't have a track record of getting the best juniors off of the Roosters if they really want them. But hey it is great to see it and I hope we have gotten one over the Chooks. It would be a great sign if the Chooks really have big raps on him but we managed to convince him he had a better future with us, especially since we have so many great players, probably even more then them in his position that he needs to leap frog to get to play NRL.

Gronk

Staff member
Yeah he seems a real decent talent. Very strange that he would leave the bosom of the Rooster and head west to the murky waters of the Eel. What has he an attitude problem and the Chickens know it and basically cut him loose?
He’s a rare dual international. Notwithstanding what Roosters did or didn’t do, he’s a rare talent. Not many kids play AU schoolboys from their rugby Sat sport and League Sunday sport.

I actually can’t find any evidence that the likes of Wally Lewis, Ricky Stuart, Ray Price, Michael O’Connor etc have done this. I’m sure that he wouldn’t be the first however.

TheRam

Coach

No, I know what a call option is bro. What I am saying is how do you know when the exact date of that call option was due? Have you seen the contract?

Just because the player and his manager used the media to announce that they would not be taking up the offer does not mean that the date actually had expired. They may have just been fishing ahead of time and got the desired reaction they were looking for.

There may not have been any over the top nibbles and Parra came in with the right offer and length so he was happy enough to extend.

Look all I am saying is we don't know either way, But if Hoops is so adamant that the Panthers are still subsidizing the contract, then we have to be open to that possibility. Not saying it is true either way, but a possibility and no one can or has disproved it. So unless you can show proof, you are just speculating like the rest of us.

Gronk

Staff member
I think you are also failing to grasp that RCG saying in the media he won’t be taking up the option isn’t the same as formally declining the option. It may have been his intention but without the timer expiring or a formal release, he’d still have a claim to take up the option.
Well under that scenario he would have an existing contract for 2023 (being the exercise of the player call option) and then entered into a new contract for 2024/25.

The Eels press release suggests that a new contract was negotiated.

The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce Reagan Campbell-Gillard has agreed to terms on a contract and will remain with the Eels until the end of the 2025 season.

TheRam

Coach

Thank you for showing some simple common sense. Something others are not to good at doing.

TheRam

Coach
He’s a rare dual international. Notwithstanding what Roosters did or didn’t do, he’s a rare talent. Not many kids play AU schoolboys from their rugby Sat sport and League Sunday sport.

I actually can’t find any evidence that the likes of Wally Lewis, Ricky Stuart, Ray Price, Michael O’Connor etc have done this. I’m sure that he wouldn’t be the first however.

Yeah I agree. I'm not bagging our club or anything like that. I'm just very surprised we got one over the Chooks is all. No one can say we have done that to often before. So hence my tongue in cheek comment.

Delboy

First Grade
Yeah I agree. I'm not bagging our club or anything like that. I'm just very surprised we got one over the Chooks is all. No one can say we have done that to often before. So hence my tongue in cheek comment.
You do realise the pelican in charge of junior contracts and retentions at the Roosters is DA, after watching how he managed the junior reps both at the Eels and currently, doesn’t surprise in the slightest.

84 Baby

Referee
Well under that scenario he would have an existing contract for 2023 (being the exercise of the player call option) and then entered into a new contract for 2024/25.

The Eels press release suggests that a new contract was negotiated.

The Parramatta Eels are pleased to announce Reagan Campbell-Gillard has agreed to terms on a contract and will remain with the Eels until the end of the 2025 season.

Well of course if he is here longer now than his original contract then he has signed a new contract, but, excluding any unclaused overlapping of the contracts, there has been nothing mentioned that has specifically excluded him having not formally rescinded his 2023 option. For simplicity’s sake, he could have very well taken up the option and then signed a completely new contract for 2024-2025.

Gronk

Staff member
Well of course if he is here longer now than his original contract then he has signed a new contract, but, excluding any unclaused overlapping of the contracts, there has been nothing mentioned that has specifically excluded him having not formally rescinded his 2023 option. For simplicity’s sake, he could have very well taken up the option and then signed a completely new contract for 2024-2025.
Agree

Latest posts