What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

strider

Post Whore
That’s not how options work. Baz nailed it that he allowed the call option to lapse.

If a player has an option for 2023, he can exercise that option and he gets that contract for that year the predetermined consideration. Reg has resigned until 2025 which means that the Eels reached a new deal
I understand what options are. I also understand that everything is open to negotiation.
The question though is, did he officially allow it to lapse? I'm not saying he didn't, but where is the proof? How would we know?
Exactly ... none of us have any f**kin idea when the options were due to lapse ... and we have no idea what negotiations took place .... theres probably a whole heap of different possibilities that could have panned out ..... perhaps all rcg/manager wanted was an extra year at a lucrative rate when he is heading towards the end of his career???

Soren Lorenson

First Grade
I dont usually get wood over signing kiddies .... but thats a pretty impressive highlights package, even tho they are all impressive.

He seems to have played with alot of different numbers on hsi back, but mostly #8 in union and 10 in league ... seems very versatile for a middle player
I gave @hineyrulz a few hours to say it but enough is enough.... He really looks like he loves the collision.

Last edited:
The question though is, did he officially allow it to lapse? I'm not saying he didn't, but where is the proof? How would we know?

Well, we can obviously never know 100%, but the fact that he gave public notice prior to Nov 1, suggests that was the expiration date (for his choice), and by making that decision he was allowed to formally canvas offers from other clubs. But, regardless, this is now definitely a new contract as it includes 2025.

TheRam

Coach
Well, we can obviously never know 100%, but the fact that he gave public notice prior to Nov 1, suggests that was the expiration date (for his choice), and by making that decision he was allowed to formally canvas offers from other clubs. But, regardless, this is now definitely a new contract as it includes 2025.

Yeah, nah, maybe.

Gronk

Staff member
It looks like Moretti was another junior who’s career was stalled because of corona. He’s done a preseason with the Roosters straight out of school.

He toured NRL schoolboys with Bradman Best, Stephen Crighton and Bronson Xerri etc.

So he comes to us the same way that Kyle Rodwell did. Australian Schoolboy reps that need time to develop into a first grader

ECF9BCF5-F18C-498E-A054-29DA2DEB201C.jpeg

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
He didn't allow it to lapse, he made public that the option wasn't acceptable and that he would go to market instead. The fact he signed a new contract instead of taking up the option makes it irrelevant. The new deal is obviously better than the player option.

I think you are also failing to grasp that RCG saying in the media he won’t be taking up the option isn’t the same as formally declining the option. It may have been his intention but without the timer expiring or a formal release, he’d still have a claim to take up the option.

Except that it makes 100% sense that the option expiration date would have been October 31 2021 (or Nov 1). That way the player has to make a call on or before the dates that a) he can freely negotiate with other clubs for 2023, and b) his current club can negotiate with replacements for 2023. Any other specifc date would not make much sense to the party that granted (wrote) the option, and not make much more sense to the player. If he did not allow the option to lapse, other clubs could not formally approach him (as he would still be under contract for 2023). If the idea is that the clubs could approach him informally......then they could have done that at any time over the past year.

This is what his manager is quoted as saying back in mid-October:

Campbell-Gillard’s manager, Mark Stewart, confirmed the decision to go to market from November 1.

“We’ve informed Parramatta that Reagan isn’t taking up his option for 2023,” he told News Corp.

“I want to stress there is no issue with Parramatta.

“He is grateful for all the Eels have done to resurrect his career after leaving Penrith and we will be giving Parramatta every chance to keep him because he has really enjoyed his time at the club.

“We will go to the open market and clubs will want to speak to us come November 1, which brings a second Brisbane team into the equation.

“He would certainly entertain being the face of a new Brisbane franchise.”

Last edited:

hindy111

Post Whore
He didn't allow it to lapse, he made public that the option wasn't acceptable and that he would go to market instead. The fact he signed a new contract instead of taking up the option makes it irrelevant. The new deal is obviously better than the player option.

I think we can join dotted lines. Hensigned at Penrith for around 750k. They chipping in 250k for 3yrs. So perhaps we nabbed for 450k-500k for 5yrs. 4th year Rcg favour and 5th Parras.
Knowing he would get more then the 450-500k which is a clause he would of asked for knowing if played bad he will take option up as insurance.
I'd say Parra have come back and said ok we will pay the extra 200-250k for your 4th year. And who knows what was agreed for his 5th. He may of been happy with around 600k and no club option. Its all just a guess

Latest posts