What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

Eelementary

Post Whore
Normally the club captain leads by example, definitely not the case with Gutho, very disappointing.

I see what you're saying.

But what is his crime?

Trying to secure as much money as possible, in a short earning window?

Hiring a player agent to organise all his deals?

I must say - I find this rationale that "he's the captain - he should lead by example!" just a tad naive.

At the end of the day Gutherson's priority is to look after himself - and that should be every player's focus.

It doesn't take much for a club to show a loyal player the door...

Poupou Escobar

Post Whore
I see what you're saying.

But what is his crime?

Trying to secure as much money as possible, in a short earning window?

Hiring a player agent to organise all his deals?

I must say - I find this rationale that "he's the captain - he should lead by example!" just a tad naive.

At the end of the day Gutherson's priority is to look after himself - and that should be every player's focus.

It doesn't take much for a club to show a loyal player the door...
His manager trying to drum up a media circus around his contract renewal is relatively unique. That's lost him the goodwill that might be afforded to other Eels players trying to wring the most money out of us.

For a club that is famous for being used by the media to generate stories, this cycle won't end if players like Gutherson allow their manager to use it as a tactic in contract negotiations. Anyway I think it's brilliant that the general mood has turned against him and backfired on the negotiations. RCG's manager's statement that Parra's management have been awesome is the correct response (even if untrue). The wrong response was Gutherson's manager shitcanning our retention staff to the media. Hopefully it's a thing of the past now he (and other player managers) have seen the fans turn against his client. It seems to be the case.

In a lot of cases perception is reality. Go Parra.

The Eel

Juniors
Couldn’t agree more. I remember back in 1982 when Ray Price threatened Sterling, Kenny, Grothe and Ella when they all received massive deals from Manly. Price signed first and he said if they didn’t he would smash them if they ever opposed him.
Remember thst well. They were too scared to leave. lol

Still have my certificate. A valuable heirloom.

I'd like to believe that I asked my dad to send my paper-run money to the fund. But I think it was just an idea that I had once everything was settled. I did punch a Manly fan in the chops for teasing me at the time (I was 13 or 14). Then him and his mates knocked seven bells out of me. Still, we did win in 86.

Eelementary

Post Whore
His manager trying to drum up a media circus around his contract renewal is relatively unique. That's lost him the goodwill that might be afforded to other Eels players trying to wring the most money out of us.

For a club that is famous for being used by the media to generate stories, this cycle won't end if players like Gutherson allow their manager to use it as a tactic in contract negotiations. Anyway I think it's brilliant that the general mood has turned against him and backfired on the negotiations. RCG's manager's statement that Parra's management have been awesome is the correct response (even if untrue). The wrong response was Gutherson's manager shitcanning our retention staff to the media. Hopefully it's a thing of the past now he (and other player managers) have seen the fans turn against his client. It seems to be the case.

In a lot of cases perception is reality. Go Parra.

I agree with everything you said - but that seems more to me that Gutherson's agent is being a typically greasy agent, and thus the frustration should be aimed towards him.

This rhetoric that Gutherson should lead by example, and take less than what he thinks he can get elsewhere, makes no sense to me...good luck to him getting big money.

Incorrect

Coach
The point is with Gutho's current negotiations, is that yeah, sure, he's entitled to get as much money as is possible.... He and his agent seem to think he's worth near a million a season. We're not willing to pay that. No point the agent and Gutho feeding the media with tidbits trying to make Parra look and sound bad.

Parra aren't willing to give him a million a season. Nor is any other club. If there was, he is free to go and sign with an opposition team. But it's obvious that we are putting a value on him that our competitor's are more or less aligned with. Nobody is putting the deal Ayoub wants in front of them. So either extend with Parra now, or shut the f**k up about it and go out in season 2022 and play like Tom Turbo for the year and then maybe other clubs will give him the million a year he wants...

Noise

Coach
I agree with everything you said - but that seems more to me that Gutherson's agent is being a typically greasy agent, and thus the frustration should be aimed towards him.

This rhetoric that Gutherson should lead by example, and take less than what he thinks he can get elsewhere, makes no sense to me...good luck to him getting big money.
Gutho could quite easily tell his grubby agent to "shut the f**k up and stop talking to the media, you are making me look like a dickhead".

The fact that Gutho has let his agent play out it like this 2 contracts in a row shows that Gutho is in fact as big a dickhead as Ayoub.

T-Boon

Coach

NO.
The fans aren't letting the players do that any more - they have gilded the lily for decades pretending to be all innocent and that its just the agent doing their thing.
A player should be charged under those association laws just for being in the same room as Ayoub let alone appointing him as their agent. He has such a dubious history.
Ayoub isn't damaging his own reputation (which has been trash since the Brad Murray and Ryan Tandy days) he is damaging Gutherson's reputation.

The Eel

Juniors
just saw the video of Rheedy having lunch with Barrett and Gus
At the end of the day if he goes he goes for mine. Would be a big loss. But back in the good old days when our players all had jobs, were not on near as much money, and played for the pride of the jersey, and were loyal, I think it was a better comp, just sayin. This of course no longer happens because there was no salary cap back then. Players just go to whoever gives them the best pay cheque these days.We gave him his start, but good luck to him if he wants to go to the dogs. They must have a goid salary cap that mob.

hindy111

Post Whore
If we lost Rheed it would be embarrasing to our club. The first hooker we've had come thru with any quality since PJ Marsh. And we lost him also. How many spine players have we produced in the last 20yrs? Not many. To think we will lose one of them is embarrasing to management.

Gazzamatta

Coach
If we lost Rheed it would be embarrasing to our club. The first hooker we've had come thru with any quality since PJ Marsh. And we lost him also. How many spine players have we produced in the last 20yrs? Not many. To think we will lose one of them is embarrasing to management.
Havent lost him yet mate. Oh. And Gus didnt land Thurston for The Pennys either. Hes also responsible for The Pennys covering half our Eels Salary Cap and the Coach Cleary/Griffin Fiasco.

Latest posts