What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours and Stuff

eels_fan

First Grade
But what if the dogs are offering $750k over 4 years …do we match that?
Unless there is an equal or better option available i think we have to. The only other 9 on the market of comparable quality is Brandon Smith, and he'd cost even more.
I'd like to think loyalty and building something with the boys you get a long so well with gets you "something" - may not be $200k, but it might mean you accept a $700k offer, or similar to Moses something with more performance incentives.

If we lose Reed, we go into 2023 hoping some other 9 secures an early release from a contract or someone out of the blue becomes a quality option - both of which are risky chances when considering how key the role is.

Chipmunk

Coach
You are basing that on their current contracts.

But for 2023 we offered Papa something like $425k and I think I read some where something similar for Marata.

So that’s $700-$800k or so now free for 2023 plus the 2022 upgrade offer for Papa…..plenty to play around with looking for replacements..

I can't see the following players costing us less in 2023, than what will cost in 2022, if we choose to resign them:
Jakob Arthur
Dylan Brown
Haze Dunster
Clint Gutherson
Oregon Kaufusi
Reed Mahoney
Ryan Matterson

And I can't see the following players we have already re-signed costing us less in 2023, than what they would have cost in 2021:
Reagan Campbell-Gillard
Bryce Cartwright
Mitchell Moses
Will Penisini
Sean Russell

So I suspect a large majority of the money we offered those will now be spent on players already part of our system, as it is unlikely we were going to be in a position to keep them all.

Having said that I suspect we're now in a position to pay Drown, Gutho and Mahoney more than we offered if need be.

Incorrect

Coach
Unless there is an equal or better option available i think we have to. The only other 9 on the market of comparable quality is Brandon Smith, and he'd cost even more.
I'd like to think loyalty and building something with the boys you get a long so well with gets you "something" - may not be $200k, but it might mean you accept a $700k offer, or similar to Moses something with more performance incentives.

If we lose Reed, we go into 2023 hoping some other 9 secures an early release from a contract or someone out of the blue becomes a quality option - both of which are risky chances when considering how key the role is.
If not for injury he could have been the incumbent QLD rake. 700K for an Origin #9 is par for the course.... Unless of course we don't think he is capable of maintaining that form and is a flash in the pan....

Delboy

First Grade
This stupid rule allowing players to sign 18 months ahead of the end of the contract is unfortunate typical of how the NRL thinks some ideas are good.

Having said that, there’s now pressure on Mark O’Neil to get the more important signings completed . Certainly the overs paid to Marata and Papali’i were what they were, both could be injuries and suspensions away from losing value. Still, they are good guys and should not be released ahead of time.

Strong management takes care of that , so MON needs an outside signing to add some gloss to his position, but it’s now incumbent to sign Junior, Gutho and Rheed. Over to you O’Neil.

Hindmarshisgod2

Juniors
They have displayed more consistently better footy. That's what increases demand and raises their value, not premierships. The premiership is just a byproduct of playing good football, plus some luck. Do you think Edwards is suddenly worth more than Gutherson because he won a premiership? Trbojevic has won a single finals match in his whole career. Is he worth f**k all because of it?
Your absolutely correct, but what I'm saying is that these guys can't win us a premiership, not even close in reality, so they can take what the club cab afford to give them, or f**koff elsewhere.

I don't consider any one player in this side who is a must keep.

King-Gutho94

Coach
This stupid rule allowing players to sign 18 months ahead of the end of the contract is unfortunate typical of how the NRL thinks some ideas are good.

Having said that, there’s now pressure on Mark O’Neil to get the more important signings completed . Certainly the overs paid to Marata and Papali’i were what they were, both could be injuries and suspensions away from losing value. Still, they are good guys and should not be released ahead of time.

Strong management takes care of that , so MON needs an outside signing to add some gloss to his position, but it’s now incumbent to sign Junior, Gutho and Rheed. Over to you O’Neil.

That's great news the grub Sam Ayoub gets more money and probably part of his plan all along

FINEST TIGERR

Juniors
Hi Eels Fans.

Thanks for the player guys. Promise to have him all finished up every season a week earlier than he's used to at the Eels. I guess the only difference will be he is part of a club that's won something during his parents lifetime.

Thanks again.

T-Boon

Coach
I think the Papalii situation is perfect. I haven't grown attached to him in any way so fine with him splitting while at the same time we get another year of his prime. I think he will be pretty good in 2022 and totally forgotten by end of 2023.

hindy111

Post Whore
Imo by rnd 10 or 13 is the time we had to extend Papali'i. Buy perhaps we tried. If not then that is criminal. We snapped him up for 150k and we then could of locked him up before being in open market. 350k-400k would of done it.
The disaster isn't that we didnt pay 600k. It's only a disaster if we didn't try and upgrade him and extend by mid season.

But I am not concerned for a few reasons.

D.Wicks
K.Edwards
Manu Maua
Marata
Papali'i
N.Brown

Since BA has been here we have found cheap guys and turned them into quality nrl players. We most likely will continue to do it.

If we lost Mahoney however the wheels will fall off imo.

Latest posts